Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Wonder

epiphany appreciation thread

This song got so fucking slept on. 

I gotta be honest I really didn't think there was gonna be a tasteful way to write about the pandemic while we're in the middle of it and I was waiting for someone to try it and fall flat on their face. But goddamn if she didn't nail it here. Drawing the comparisons between literal war of WWII in the first verse and the more abstract war that front line workers are waging right now in the second verse was a really brilliant stroke of writing, even for Taylor. It really applies imagery to the pandemic that I think really helps emphasize just how hellish it is. And it manages to do all of this without being overdramatic and cheesy like it really could've been. It's not one of the most melodically memorable songs on the album but lyrically, thematically, and musically I think it's really up there with the best cuts off of folklore. I'd even be willing to say it's one of the most purely chilling, haunting, and dark songs in her entire discography and for that alone I think it deserves WAY more than it's gotten from fans. 

You have also written well enough why it is memorable among her other songs - pulling parallels between two decimating events and connecting past and present through their grim characteristics is what is the best thing about epiphany. Not to mention lines like "Only 20 minutes to sleep, but you dream of some epiphany; just one single glimpse of relief to make some sense of what you've seen". cry4

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.