Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

naval23

Why was "Poker Face" so much more massive compared to "Bad Romance"?

Specifically talking about chart performance. Bad Romance was massive, but Poker Face was on a whole other arena when I looked at their chart runs.:

Austria
- Poker Face: 12 weeks at #1, 16 weeks in the top 2
- Bad Romance: 7 weeks at #1, 17 weeks in the top 20

Germany
- Poker Face: 13 weeks at #1, 17 weeks in the top 2
- Bad Romance: 1 week at #1, 17 weeks in the top 20

Switzerland
- Poker Face: 8 weeks at #1, 19 weeks in the top 5
- Bad Romance: 1 week at #2, 19 weeks in the top 20

Canada
- Poker Face: 9 weeks at #1, 46 weeks in the top 50
- Bad Romance: 5 weeks at #1, 34 weeks in the top 50

United States
- Poker Face: 1 week at #1, 14 weeks  top 3, 40 weeks overall
- Bad Romance: 7 weeks at #2, 17 weeks top 10, 34 weeks overall

Australia
- Poker Face - 8 weeks at #1 (42 weeks total)
- Bad Romance - peaked at #2 (34 weeks total)

New Zealand
- Poker Face: 10 weeks at #1
- Bad Romance: #2 peak

3 minutes ago, Cl Cq Cr Cd Cy Cm Ca Cu Co said:

Poker Face was HUGE .. the fact that it only spent one week at #1 in the US really disguises how big it was bey8 

I think it's a much catchier song mad1 

It really was. It spent an additional 9 weeks at #2 and 14 weeks in the top 3- this is more common in the streaming era now but the fact she did that in the digital era is impressive af. And it ended up outselling "Just Dance" in the USA

Poker Face was catchie, more radio friendly and fit right into the popular sound at the time. Additionally I think it also helped that Gaga was still very new at the time. 

pokerface was gagas breakout WW hit (just dance in some places), so many people bought the single 

bad romance was her first SMASH hit after becoming a well known household name. It sold massively but ALSO sold the album way more. TFM was pulling HUGE numbers when bad romance was smashing, while the same wasn't the case for PF & The Fame (cause she was still pretty new and wasn't an established name). 

Poker Face was just out of this world. Its stats are shocking. Literally the biggest female hit this decade besides Rolling in the Deep (In pure sales and sps) It sold 20 million pure sales compared to the 12.5 of Bad Romance. I do agree with the part that BR helped sell the album more. The Fame spent 22 weeks in the top 10 before the rerelease but a lot of it's sales came after TFM. 

BR spent 35 weeks not 34 weeks 😃 

3 minutes ago, LÉON said:

Bad Romance is the better song, while Poker Face sounds incredibly dated now jj4 I've always hated PF's repetitive chorus.

While i agree that Poker Face sounds dated there's something really nostalgic about it and i can still appreciate it for that. 

Perhaps it's the fact that's it doesn't sound any more outdated than most of the other big songs at the time.  One of the cool things about the 00s is that the incredibly outdated and inaccurate ideals of what the future would be like were still visible in pop culture. Despite being later to the trend i do think Black Eyed Peas were probably the most out there group at the time for adopting this faux futurism, however there was other acts such as Daft Punk and most of the pop girls tried it out at some point..  The whole trend seemed to die away by late 2012/13. Generally speaking music from late 2007 - 2011 has aged quite poorly. However who knows if a few decades down the line it'll be viewed different.

19 hours ago, Chris Morlock said:

Cos PF was just that huge. 

And Tik Tok blocked BR from getting #1 kesha1

And now I never hear that on the radio. Meanwhile, Bad Romance still gets plays ayumi1

3 hours ago, LÉON said:

And now I never hear that on the radio. Meanwhile, Bad Romance still gets plays ayumi1

Kesha has been kind of irrelevant for nearly 8 years though. So it's kind of to be expected, whereas Gaga is still TABs.

On 1/15/2021 at 8:31 PM, Billie Frank said:

Perhaps it's the fact that's it doesn't sound any more outdated than most of the other big songs at the time.  One of the cool things about the 00s is that the incredibly outdated and inaccurate ideals of what the future would be like were still visible in pop culture. Despite being later to the trend i do think Black Eyed Peas were probably the most out there group at the time for adopting this faux futurism, however there was other acts such as Daft Punk and most of the pop girls tried it out at some point..  The whole trend seemed to die away by late 2012/13. Generally speaking music from late 2007 - 2011 has aged quite poorly. However who knows if a few decades down the line it'll be viewed different.

bit off topic, but you have articulated a thought ive had for a while now. clap2glad im not the only one who has realized that a lot of music during that era seems to feel very "futuristic" [I like that term, faux futuristic], especially with the incorporation of EDM and Dubstep  

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.