Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Lynk

What pop eras felt like they just came and went?

Simply put, what pop era just came and went without any lasting impact or any attention being placed on it? They weren't innovative, creative, noteworthy or even interesting. They were just kinda there.

Shawn Mendes' Wonder era kinda feels like that right now. I thought Wonder would be bigger than it was since I think it's a good song and well... it's Shawn Mendes.

19 minutes ago, LittleDudeNT5 said:

Honestly any in the past 5 years or so.

Like, the Thank U Next era was so good for Ari but that was such a flash. 

That album has had far more impact and longevity than Positions and Sweetener. Yall are really doing the most with that album just cause it outsold your fave Ari album. dead2 

Most eras ngl. Nothing to this day has me hooked or interested like After Hours and Future Nostalgia both did. 

Special standouts are however:

Smile

Chromatica

positions

Lover

folklore

Liberation

Rare

They were released and nothing else happened with them.  Not to mention aside from folklore, the albums sucked and/or were lazy and forgettable.

I feel like most eras are like that nowadays. There have only been a handful of eras that actually felt like eras. The pandemic has only made it worse.

Creatively speaking though, then I guess Rare, Chromatica, The Album, Smile and Lover could all fit the bill. None of these albums are necessarily innovative but they all could've easily been a lot bigger. There are a couple of other non-innovative albums but at the very least their artists tried to keep it going for some time. All of the albums I listed were pretty much dead on arrival.

2 hours ago, Snow said:

I feel like most eras are like that nowadays. There have only been a handful of eras that actually felt like eras. The pandemic has only made it worse.

Creatively speaking though, then I guess Rare, Chromatica, The Album, Smile and Lover could all fit the bill. None of these albums are necessarily innovative but they all could've easily been a lot bigger. There are a couple of other non-innovative albums but at the very least their artists tried to keep it going for some time. All of the albums I listed were pretty much dead on arrival.

the way that was actually an extremely long era in the k-pop realm dead1 they had two singles months before the album which was already unheard of, crazy amounts of promo around album release week, and a good amount of performance for their own standards too, since they rarely promote on music shows

It's just difficult to sustain an era with the way the music buying public is now. It's grown to be so fast paced and the attention span of audiences has shorted to such a frustratingly degree that once the album drops, it's just on to the next thing. Dua has managed to sustain Future Nostalgia, but even then she's had to continuously reinvent it with remixes, the club mixed version, and now the deluxe. 

9 hours ago, Lynk said:

Simply put, what pop era just came and went without any lasting impact or any attention being placed on it? They weren't innovative, creative, noteworthy or even interesting. They were just kinda there.

Chromatica

Sweetener

Blackout  - i mean, because the era just felt like it came and then went, after Gimme More video, Piece Of Me video and the VMAS perfromance and then the era ended sadly :( tho, it had so much potential and could've been a HUGE era. Truly a waste of an era for a great album. But, however it had impact as it literally SHAPED the entire 2010s pop music and was well praised to get a spot on RS hall of fame.

Bionic

Positions

ARTPOP

Thank u next

Folklore (LOL https://www.breatheheavy.com/exhale/uploads/emoticons/imdying.gif)

Plastic Hearts

Smile (LOL  https://www.breatheheavy.com/exhale/uploads/emoticons/imdying.gif)

9 hours ago, Jake said:

folklore

Folklore era is still going sis. with Folklore / Evermore is like Keshas Animal + Cannibal or Gagas The Fame (Monster) or Lanas Born to Die Paradise edition. it's simply a continuation of the era with new music. 

10 hours ago, Madonna said:

That album has had far more impact and longevity than Positions and Sweetener. Yall are really doing the most with that album just cause it outsold your fave Ari album. dead2 

Sis calm down, where did I say that Doggystyle or Splenda had more impact/longevity? TUN is Ariana's better album out of those three. It had great impact at the time. But I swear that was for like, 5 months. That album's shelf life died really fast and I don't feel like it's stayed within anyone's consciousness for very long. 

It's a great album. But that doesn't mean it can't be a "pop era that came & went". It did – which is actually unfortunate because it was a good album. 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.