Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Dennis Reynolds

Godzilla vs. Kong (in theaters and on HBO Max, March 26th)

Smart move honestly. It was already posing a financial risk due tot he disappointing box office of Godzilla: King of the Monsters so they might have a chance of at least breaking even this way since they're keeping 100% of the streaming profit. I just hope it's good, if it manages to be good they might be able to entice audiences back into the MonsterVerse. 

39 minutes ago, Mr. Mendes said:

Smart move honestly. It was already posing a financial risk due tot he disappointing box office of Godzilla: King of the Monsters so they might have a chance of at least breaking even this way since they're keeping 100% of the streaming profit. I just hope it's good, if it manages to be good they might be able to entice audiences back into the MonsterVerse. 

Yea, I am a huge Godzilla/kaiju fan so I would very much like this series to succeed. I kinda liked King of the Monsters more on rewatch but I was still fairly disappointed by it on the whole, I think Skull Island is pretty easily the best of the three they've done so far. 

7 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Yea, I am a huge Godzilla/kaiju fan so I would very much like this series to succeed. I kinda liked King of the Monsters more on rewatch but I was still fairly disappointed by it on the whole, I think Skull Island is pretty easily the best of the three they've done so far. 

Yeah I found more enjoyment in King of the Monsters on rewatches as well. It was so very close to being great, they just spent way too much time on unnecessary human drama that was wildly convoluted. But it was absolutely visually stunning, I will hand it that. Skull Island has been the peak so far absolutely, I think by a wide margin, but I do enjoy the first Godzilla from Gareth Edwards more than most. I understand the gripes with it but I thought it was at least bold which is not something that could be said of a Godzilla film for a long while up till that point. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Mendes said:

Yeah I found more enjoyment in King of the Monsters on rewatches as well. It was so very close to being great, they just spent way too much time on unnecessary human drama that was wildly convoluted. But it was absolutely visually stunning, I will hand it that. Skull Island has been the peak so far absolutely, I think by a wide margin, but I do enjoy the first Godzilla from Gareth Edwards more than most. I understand the gripes with it but I thought it was at least bold which is not something that could be said of a Godzilla film for a long while up till that point. 

I don't dislike any of them but KOTM I had a lot of problems with the plot bebe1 This eco-terrorist group that somehow truly believes releasing the monsters would be good for the planet - and especially Vera Farmiga's little powerpoint presentation on this - was just too dumb to be at the center of the plot for me. The 2014 film was good but I do agree with most that it teased the audience more than was necessary, it wouldn't have been gratuitous to have them fight onscreen before the climax.

I'd totally be down with movies about Mothra, Rodan or the Atragon but I don't know how much western audiences in general would bebe1 Would love to see Gigan in any film at all too.

8 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

I don't dislike any of them but KOTM I had a lot of problems with the plot bebe1 This eco-terrorist group that somehow truly believes releasing the monsters would be good for the planet - and especially Vera Farmiga's little powerpoint presentation on this - was just too dumb to be at the center of the plot for me. The 2014 film was good but I do agree with most that it teased the audience more than was necessary, it wouldn't have been gratuitous to have them fight onscreen before the climax.

I'd totally be down with movies about Mothra, Rodan or the Atragon but I don't know how much western audiences in general would bebe1 Would love to see Gigan in any film at all too.

They may get bold if interest snaps up! They're kinda like Marvel in the sense they have a wealth of characters that are obscure outside of the existing fanbase so if they're given the opportunity, they may whip out their Guardians or Dr. Strange. The good thing with the MonsterVerse is that, to at least a small degree, there's gonna be an audience there for a giant monster movie whether they know the monster or the lore or not. They kinda have their foot in the door with Mothra as while KOTM didn't do gangbusters, she was perhaps the most discussed aspect of that film so they could totally capitalize on it if they were let out of their cage. 

9 minutes ago, Mr. Mendes said:

They may get bold if interest snaps up! They're kinda like Marvel in the sense they have a wealth of characters that are obscure outside of the existing fanbase so if they're given the opportunity, they may whip out their Guardians or Dr. Strange. The good thing with the MonsterVerse is that, to at least a small degree, there's gonna be an audience there for a giant monster movie whether they know the monster or the lore or not. They kinda have their foot in the door with Mothra as while KOTM didn't do gangbusters, she was perhaps the most discussed aspect of that film so they could totally capitalize on it if they were let out of their cage. 

True. I would think they'd have to do quite well indeed before they ever get to Megalon or Biollante though bebe1 I'm not sure why they didn't use more pre-existing monsters in KOTM, not that I didn't like some of the new ones (especially the gorilla/woolly mammoth hybrid thing).

1 hour ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

True. I would think they'd have to do quite well indeed before they ever get to Megalon or Biollante though bebe1 I'm not sure why they didn't use more pre-existing monsters in KOTM, not that I didn't like some of the new ones (especially the gorilla/woolly mammoth hybrid thing).

I've not really researched how Warner is licensing the characters. Do they have free reign over all of the kaiju or do they only have access to a select few/have take to take it on a film by film basis?

Just now, Mr. Mendes said:

I've not really researched how Warner is licensing the characters. Do they have free reign over all of the kaiju or do they only have access to a select few/have take to take it on a film by film basis?

I'm not sure, I would think they take it on a film by film basis. They seem to have a pretty direct relationship with Toho since they distribute the movies in Japan, so I don't think it should be hard to get pre-existing characters (unlike the TriStar days where Toho outright said they couldn't create their own monsters and could use either Mothra or King Ghidorah and that was it, obviously the agreement now is way less restrictive than that). Michael Dougherty said he wanted to use Gigan and Biollante in newer films, anyway.

I'm not sure, I would think they take it on a film by film basis. They seem to have a pretty direct relationship with Toho since they distribute the movies in Japan, so I don't think it should be hard to get pre-existing characters (unlike the TriStar days where Toho outright said they couldn't create their own monsters and could use either Mothra or King Ghidorah and that was it, obviously the agreement now is way less restrictive than that). Michael Dougherty said he wanted to use Gigan and Biollante in newer films, anyway.

Well then I guess the only thing in their was is getting rejuvinated interest. I guess we'll have to see how it plays out! 

My guess is that the Godzilla skeleton from the 2014 film will be used by either Monarch or some splinter group to build Mechagodzilla, which the real Godzilla is sensing and that's what's making him go berserk.

I was gonna guess it had something to do with the skeleton as well. 

Honestly I have kind of mixed feelings on the whole trailer rip2 I do sort of love that it's built almost entirely out of what looks like two scenes, but that also kinda makes me afraid that they're not showing other things for a reason that doesn't have to do with not wanting to give away spoilers. I'm not...in love with this child who's got a connection to Kong idea. Like it's certainly different but there's a lot of room for it be dumb and be pointless to the plot until some eye rolling moment in the end that makes it so wildly overly relevant that it becomes laughable. That could absolutely just be the pessimist in me talking but I'm really weary of this being really hamfisted even for a monster movie LJBNK

That being said, I love the visuals a lot. There's not many ways to make such recognizable characters visually interesting but there's a lot of cool stuff happening here. That little bit where Godzilla crawls up onto the deck and walks like an actual reptile was really cool and I've never seen them lean into him like that before (that I can remember). And the fight that looks like it's in Japan, the way it's lit with all the buildings and signs and stuff looked really badass. 

@Mr. Mendes I don't know if you have any interest but I figure it's my best shot on here bebe1 I got this set for the Gamera films recently and have been watching them, currently up to Gamera vs. Gyaos. They're funnier and goofier than Godzilla at his most lighthearted, and it's amusing how blatantly heroic and mindful of individual humans Gamera is by comparison.

tQTj0LX.jpgUWbKE9O.jpg

4 hours ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

@Mr. Mendes I don't know if you have any interest but I figure it's my best shot on here bebe1 I got this set for the Gamera films recently and have been watching them, currently up to Gamera vs. Gyaos. They're funnier and goofier than Godzilla at his most lighthearted, and it's amusing how blatantly heroic and mindful of individual humans Gamera is by comparison.

tQTj0LX.jpgUWbKE9O.jpg

I’ve only ever seen the first one, but yes I’ve heard they’re on the total opposite end of the spectrum. I guess they needed to offer a Diet Godzilla to those who’s tastes weren’t to the regular JSKALDJS

@Dennis Reynolds Review embargo lifts tomorrow, but early reactions have been coming all day. It’s being pretty universally agreed that the kaiju action is the best of this new series, it’s visually stunning, the main fight delivers on all cylinders, there is a winner, and both title monsters get a lot of room to shine alone and together. But the human plot is apparently worse than KotM, though it is bolstered by the strongest human performances of the franchise to date, though the human side of the story is still called a slog. 

21 minutes ago, Mr. Mendes said:

@Dennis Reynolds Review embargo lifts tomorrow, but early reactions have been coming all day. It’s being pretty universally agreed that the kaiju action is the best of this new series, it’s visually stunning, the main fight delivers on all cylinders, there is a winner, and both title monsters get a lot of room to shine alone and together. But the human plot is apparently worse than KotM, though it is bolstered by the strongest human performances of the franchise to date, though the human side of the story is still called a slog. 

Hmm, well even worse than KotM's human plot is not encouraging because that eco-terrorist story was about as dumb as any in the entire series, but that's good to hear about the monsters oprah15 If that's really good, I can tolerate the humans doing some stupid shit.

52 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Hmm, well even worse than KotM's human plot is not encouraging because that eco-terrorist story was about as dumb as any in the entire series, but that's good to hear about the monsters oprah15 If that's really good, I can tolerate the humans doing some stupid shit.

Yeah same. I kinda mentally prepared for a terrible human side a long time ago, I'm just here for the monkey and the lizard and the metal lizard because i am convinced mecha's in this so that's all i need

10 minutes ago, Mr. Mendes said:

Yeah same. I kinda mentally prepared for a terrible human side a long time ago, I'm just here for the monkey and the lizard and the metal lizard because i am convinced mecha's in this so that's all i need

It's all but confirmed that he's in it, no? And yea, I'm not that surprised, although I don't know why they felt they needed to trade "OK characters and story, not enough action" from the 2014 film for "crappy characters and story, lots of action" for this and King of the Monsters. And Kong: Skull Island had the best of both worlds already!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.