Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Snow

JLo wants you to throw away your possessions on a beach

1 hour ago, Kirjava said:

Mess. dead2

We know. It's just very tone-deaf in current times.

The context of the original music video was different as well. That was about how her love cannot be bought with material things. But we are in a time when a lot of people are struggling to afford basic necessities, so this just comes off as insensitive. Or badly timed at the very least.

54 minutes ago, Snow said:

Of course.

Obviously no one thought she was just gonna leave all those things laying on the ground, the title is hyperbolic because people are poking fun at her. 

But this is still incredibly tone deaf. As someone else has mentioned already, we are in a time when people are struggling to afford basic necessities and keep their homes, and she's videoing herself strutting around her private beach and tossing her valuables to the ground. 

Regardless of how you put it, this was very tone deaf, and girlie needs to learn how to read the room.

orangu1

Because poverty didn't exist in 2000?  All celebs are constantly showing how fabulous their lives are. This isn't different.  I don't get this sensitivity thing. Media constantly serves lists of richest people and things like that, yet suddenly Jennifer is a big problem. Seriously? I assume whoever made a big deal about Jennifer for some gossip site, made "news" out of nothing. Do "cancel culture" people really care? If so, then why being selective?

I find it more offensive that the same people who call Jennifer out would do similar shit. Maybe they aren't rich and can afford simple things, but that is "luxury" to many people around the world.  Corona brought financial problems to your society and suddenly people are aware. The same shit was happening before, but it didn't matter because it was far away from you. That is how our society works. rip1 

We have got China torturing Uyghur Muslims and Russia taking away people's freedom and eliminating freedom fighters. Not to mention anti-gay purges in Chechnya.

But hey, let's be woke and drag J.Lo. for tik tok clip. sia4 

23 minutes ago, SeekingThrill said:

Because poverty didn't exist in 2000?  All celebs are constantly showing how fabulous their lives are. This isn't different.  I don't get this sensitivity thing. Media constantly serves lists of richest people and things like that, yet suddenly Jennifer is a big problem. Seriously? I assume whoever made a big deal about Jennifer for some gossip site, made "news" out of nothing. Do "cancel culture" people really care? If so, then why being selective?

Eh.. no. rip4 

No one said poverty didn't exist in 2000; the point is that financial troubles are affecting a much larger portion of the population right now. People have always called out celebrities for flaunting their wealth. The difference is this time their voice is louder because there are more of them.

23 minutes ago, SeekingThrill said:

I find it more offensive that the same people who call Jennifer out would do similar shit. Maybe they aren't rich and can afford simple things, but that is "luxury" to many people around the world.  Corona brought financial problems to your society and suddenly people are aware. The same shit was happening before, but it didn't matter because it was far away from you. That is how our society works. rip1 

We have got China torturing Uyghur Muslims and Russia taking away people's freedom and eliminating freedom fighters. Not to mention anti-gay purges in Chechnya.

And you're right about that, people don't pay attention to issues unless it's in close proximity to them or affect them directly. That is indeed how our society works, and that's why people are calling JLo out -- because it's affecting them directly, and these people that are affected happened to have internet access, speaks English and have nothing better to do, and thus here we are. true1 

China & Russia have absolutely nothing to do with this though. We can call ALL of them out -- it doesn't have to be one or the other. And a lot of people ARE calling them out. But just because someone else has it worse doesn't mean people can't be annoyed/upset because of a lesser problem. orangu1

7 minutes ago, SeekingThrill said:

We never claimed poverty or suffering didn't exist before. dead2 And just because others have it worse doesn't mean we have no right to complain, but that's irrelevant atm. 

With JLo, it's the context that matters. As I already said, the original video had a very clear message with romantic love > material things. The way and the time she's presenting it now is just unfortunate. + the fact that she's doing it at the beach (yeah, I know she's simply recreating the original video) which obviously few people have access to anyway, but also most of us are still advised to stay inside and only leave when it's absolutely necessary. 

To me it just comes off as tone-deaf. Like when celebrities posted vids of themselves complaining in their 11 bedroom 13 bathroom mansions  about how difficult the lockdown is.

And I don't think this is cancel-worthy (cancel-culture isn't really effective anyway, people are just upset for a few weeks then move on as if nothing happened). People on Twitter weren't trying to cancel her either, most were just poking fun at her.

4 hours ago, Ruthless Love said:

While I do understand this, where did she stay you had to throw away jewelry and shit? And where did she say just throw it away? jj1

Besides, not once did she throw anything into the ocean.. and, clearly, in re-creating what is probably one of the most memorized parts of the video, it still holds the same meaning... people are just willing to call out shit for whatever reason they want to.

You're right, this is a confusing challenge with no clear goal or purpose to it, especially given the atmosphere of recent times. It's just.... like what do you want exactly? How do you do a "spin" on something that is so surface level basic and nondescript? Usually there is some top[ical relevancy or tie-in that makes sense to people. This is just missing all the marks so she's getting dragged for it. Kinda makes sense to me. It's not awful or evil, just not necessary or needed. 

21 hours ago, SeekingThrill said:

Happy Michelle Obama GIF by Election 2016

They're calling out Jennifer Lopez, because she is Jennifer Lopez.
People hate just to simply hate, and she seems to be an easy target.

12 hours ago, Ruthless Love said:

Happy Michelle Obama GIF by Election 2016

They're calling out Jennifer Lopez, because she is Jennifer Lopez.
People hate just to simply hate, and she seems to be an easy target.

It’s not even that she’s an “easy target” she is more than deserving of getting called out in this instance. Now is not the time for her to be doing something like this. She’s smarter than this and ought to know better, and she needs to be put in check. She won’t learn if she just takes no heat for it. 

19 hours ago, Mr. Mendes said:

It’s not even that she’s an “easy target” she is more than deserving of getting called out in this instance. Now is not the time for her to be doing something like this. She’s smarter than this and ought to know better, and she needs to be put in check. She won’t learn if she just takes no heat for it. 

For real. She needs to be rich in private. This is so tone deaf. 

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.