zack

Shallow bigger than 7 rings. Surprised?

1 hour ago, Lynk said:

A Star is Born came out months before 7 rings though

Shallow has been out streaming 7 rings since last year. So the gap will just get bigger from now on. 

30 minutes ago, fab said:

So being attached to a heavily promoted movie automatically gets a song billions of streams now? brit4 Beyoncé will be glad to hear brit4

Both Brown Skinned Girls and Spirit were singles that were sent to radio, yet none of them made a dent. IDG how they think all soundtrack songs smash. People liked the song and it shows because people are still streaming it till this day (1m+ on spotify, 2 years after it's release). 

1 hour ago, Billie Frank said:

It did smash due to the Movie's success though. If there wasn't a Movie under such a well known and loved franchise/name it wouldn't have been anywhere near as back. In the same sense My Heart Will Go On was huge because of the movie it was linked to. The movie primarily (although not entirely) gave those songs the exposure and momentum - not the artists. 

Someone You Loved pretty much appeals to the exact same demographic.

I never said the UK was the only European country. What i said was that it isn't surprising it smashed in Europe, particularly in the UK... 

Shallow isn't a pure country song, it's country inspired yes, but so is Timber by Kesha, which was also a huge smash, or Old Town Road. Need You Now by Lady Antebellum is more authentically country than any of those and was a big hit in Europe. 

The only thing about Timber is the intro. It's mostly an edm song. Need You Now had a pop mix and wasn't even that big in europe. 

2 hours ago, Billie Frank said:

Shallow is Country Pop / Soft Rock at most, both of which are pretty much what Adult Contemporary is defined as. Shallow was clearly crafted to be very radio friendly 

girl what is this revisionist history, Shallow sounded nothing like what was being played on the radio ... especially in US, where it never even reached the Top 10 on radio because stations were refusing to play it cheryl1

2 hours ago, Billie Frank said:

Shallow was clearly crafted to be very radio friendly and adored by middle aged mothers who drive SUVs. The fact is smashed in Europe (particularly the UK) isn't surprising at all. 

are you saying that Europe and UK have a particularly high amount of women who drive SUVs? cheryl1  

Just now, Kuba said:

It is quite surprising! But is it really anything to brag about when 7 Rings was just one of Ariana's recent smashes nnn

it's arguably Ariana's biggest smash and her most streamed song on Spotify.. so yes this is very impressive kesha6

30 minutes ago, Billie Frank said:

No, but there's no doubt that it was a huge contributing factor. Indeed in one of my later replies i did state "The movie primarily (although not entirely) gave those songs the exposure and momentum". 

the movie promo aided Shallow in its initial surge on the charts, no doubt, but it has nothing to do with why the song still gets 1M daily streams a quarter decade later  demi1

22 minutes ago, Kuba said:

It is quite surprising! But is it really anything to brag about when 7 Rings was just one of Ariana's recent smashes nnn

Um 7 rings is Ariana's biggest hit while  Shallow is Gaga's 4th or 5th biggest hit. Poker Face sold 20m pure sales... no other mpg comes that close sans Adele. It also comes from a 16 million selling album. PF, Bad Romance, Just Dance and maybe BTW are all bigger than Shallow. 

https://chartmasters.org/2020/12/cspc-lady-gaga-albums-and-songs-sales/

1 hour ago, fab said:

So being attached to a heavily promoted movie automatically gets a song billions of streams now? brit4 Beyoncé will be glad to hear brit4

ayumi1

2 hours ago, zack said:

Shallow was only played by AC radio. It's not radio friendly at all. It had way less radio support then songs that didn't even enter the top 10... When was the last time a country esque song dominated european radio?? Nobody was expecting shallow to smash, especially in europe

That is an absolute lie. I was doing some pretty extensive traveling in the six months after Shallow's release and it was all over pop radio everywhere I went. Try again. 

14 minutes ago, Mr. Mendes said:

That is an absolute lie. I was doing some pretty extensive traveling in the six months after Shallow's release and it was all over pop radio everywhere I went. Try again. 

Are you serious? Shallow peaked at #23 before the oscars, in fact even after the oscars it only peaked at #19 on pop radio. When was the last time a #1 song peaked at #19?? yeah no... try again. AC radio is what carried it through it's run, not pop. Gaga isn't even a radio darling. Her high AI peak is 135m while most pop girls have several songs that peaked with 200m audience. Her singles sell very well with wayyy less radio support, along with Taylor. Someone that works at a pop radio station literally said they wouldn't play Shallow because it doesn't sound like anything on the radio.

13 minutes ago, LÉON said:

They're both overrated, overplayed songs that I don't care to hear ever again brit7

Always Remember Us This Way and NASA deserved their success cry9

9 minutes ago, Mr. Mendes said:

Shallow was paid absolute DUST by radio before the Oscars sis cheryl1 

2 minutes ago, fab said:

Shallow was paid absolute DUST by radio before the Oscars sis cheryl1 

It was all over the please here. Genuinely I couldn't turn the radio on without hearing it. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. Mendes said:

It was all over the please here. Genuinely I couldn't turn the radio on without hearing it. 

In the U.S? It peaked at #19 on pop radio...

https://www.billboard.com/music/lady-gaga/chart-history/TFM/song/1100241

3 minutes ago, Dani K. said:

People still listen to Swallow? 

I mean it's still it's getting more daily streams than Bad Guy, Say So, 7 rings, TU,N and so on. 

https://spotifycharts.com/regional

5 minutes ago, Mr. Mendes said:

maybe your local radio station was run by a Gaga stan because I vividly remember how it was rotting at like #30-#60 for several months on the radio charts  katy9 

23 minutes ago, zack said:

I mean it's still it's getting more daily streams than Bad Guy, Say So, 7 rings, TU,N and so on. 

https://spotifycharts.com/regional

I really don't listen to Ariana, Billie, and Doja Clap so...brit13 I could careless about their streaming numbers.

Eitherway Swallow was backed up by a big movie whereas 7 rings is purely just a musical release without any form of movie backing it up.

11 minutes ago, Dani K. said:

I really don't listen to Ariana, Billie, and Doja Clap so...brit13 I could careless about their streaming numbers.

Eitherway Swallow was backed up by a big movie whereas 7 rings is purely just a musical release without any form of movie backing it up.

The movie was released 2 years ago... So no the movie isn't the one helping it atm. 7 rings had wayyyy more radio support and playlisting... that's better then a "movie" and let's not talk about how shallow helped sell the album.. ASIB is around 3.2 million pure while TU,N is at 550k

1 hour ago, zack said:

Um 7 rings is Ariana's biggest hit while  Shallow is Gaga's 4th or 5th biggest hit. Poker Face sold 20m pure sales... no other mpg comes that close sans Adele. It also comes from a 16 million selling album. PF, Bad Romance, Just Dance and maybe BTW are all bigger than Shallow. 

https://chartmasters.org/2020/12/cspc-lady-gaga-albums-and-songs-sales/

I literally agreed with your statement in the OP, it is quite surprising. But is a minor edge over ONE of Ariana's hits really that brag worthy? rip4 Especially when Gaga's most notable hit after Shallow is... a collab with Ariana. 

Chartmasters have cute receipts, but you should bear in mind that Ariana's are from October 2019 and Gaga's are from December of 2020. Over a year's difference nnn. 

2 hours ago, Kuba said:

I literally agreed with your statement in the OP, it is quite surprising. But is a minor edge over ONE of Ariana's hits really that brag worthy? rip4 Especially when Gaga's most notable hit after Shallow is... a collab with Ariana. 

Chartmasters have cute receipts, but you should bear in mind that Ariana's are from October 2019 and Gaga's are from December of 2020. Over a year's difference nnn. 

I mean it's Ariana's biggest hit, so it's thread worthy. It's not like i'm comparing Poker Face and 7 rings. The only thing that I used from CM was the pure sales. 7 rings pure sales will be around 800k now, it's not a big difference. The spotify and youtube receipts are as of today. 

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ariana saved Gaga's last era and gave her a hit. Be quiet 

Is that meant to be a revelation?...   One is an Adult Contemporary ballad linked to a very popular and heavily promoted movie franchise. The other is a fun Rnb/Pop song.

Now compare Ga's solo work with 7 rings 

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.