Chris Morlock

Rate the Song: Ellie Goulding | now: In My City

4 hours ago, Brutus said:

I think what’s missing is an overarching artistic vision and want for growth. If her favourite artists like Björk and Kate Bush were so aimless and inept with their careers then they wouldn’t be half as worth mentioning.

Zero artists are going to grow up and cite Ellie’s catalogue as their inspiration and I don’t get the impression that she cares one iota about having a decent music legacy. This isn’t a complaint or anything. It’s just a harsh reality.

That’s harsh.

I think some artists in the future would definitely mention Ellie as one their inspirations. She was basically the face of Indietronica for the early 2010s. She was really in her own lane at that time, before she blended in with more mainstream artists.

8 hours ago, Starboy said:

That’s harsh.

I think some artists in the future would definitely mention Ellie as one their inspirations. She was basically the face of Indietronica for the early 2010s. She was really in her own lane at that time, before she blended in with more mainstream artists.

Except basically no-one refers to her starting career as “indietronica” and she 100% wasn’t the face of it? I’m not going to needlessly overstate her impact and say she was a face of an entire music genre when she definitely wasn’t. 

We’ll see who’s right then. I’d love to be proven wrong but I don’t see it happening. And again, I was also referring to the entirety of her music catalogue and that I feel like compared to who she looks up to, hers is extremely lacking as a whole in output, frequency and consistency when put side by side.