Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Snow

Rihanna slammed over cultural appropriation

EuSspinUYAANxBD?format=jpg&name=large

Rihanna is facing accusations of cultural appropriation and religious insensitivity after she posted a topless image of herself wearing a pendant depicting the Hindu god Ganesha.

Among her matching purple jewels are a bracelet, a large pair of earrings and what appears to be a diamond-studded carving of the elephant-headed deity -- a move branded "disrespectful" by some Hindus and other social media users in India. "You're wearing a deity necklace and a Murthi (image of a deity) of my culture that's already been culturally appropriated enough in the past few years," read one reply to the post, liked over 5,000 times on Instagram. "How is this okay when a person has more than enough resources to at least find out the meaning and significance of the chains and pendant around their neck?"

"Can we stop sexualizing people's religion for clout," read another comment. "I just don't understand the purpose of having a necklace with lord Ganesh as part of a lingerie campaign." Another user, meanwhile, wrote: "Our culture is not your costume."

Ganesha traditionally represents wisdom and success, and is often called upon by Hindus embarking on new business ventures. Producing paintings or statues of deities is widely practiced in India, and they are used to help worshippers connect with the gods.

x

This isn't cultural appropriation though. It would be cultural appropriation if she was profiting off the culture, claiming it as her own, not acknowledging where it was from or adapting it to her culture without knowing what it is. I understand if they don't like it but it's not cultural appropriation.  If anything, this could be cultural appreciation since that god is often called upon when entering new business ventures, like Rihanna has been doing over the last few years

Tbh I can understand why people would be annoyed by this, but also at the same time I'm pretty sure a lot of the anger is fueled by her tweet supporting the farmers. rip4 They're just looking for reasons to attack her. 

1 hour ago, zack said:

People justifying this bey8

HINDU gods are not accessories. If you don't follow the religion.... don't wear them. SIMPLE!

Eh, if you don't follow the religion, they don't hold some sacred meaning to you. Perhaps the religion itself shouldn't be commercialized and profited off of with these products Rih was able to obtain? If it were so sacred why are they being sold as jewelry and gas station trinkets then? Why not go after the manufacturer of these items for even existing in the first place? Not Rih for finding a colorful necklace she liked. Religions are so fucking hypocritical. Oof. 

5 hours ago, harry said:

Eh, if you don't follow the religion, they don't hold some sacred meaning to you. Perhaps the religion itself shouldn't be commercialized and profited off of with these products Rih was able to obtain? If it were so sacred why are they being sold as jewelry and gas station trinkets then? Why not go after the manufacturer of these items for even existing in the first place? Not Rih for finding a colorful necklace she liked. Religions are so fucking hypocritical. Oof. 

Spoiler

First off, we should respect other people's beliefs and not say this: "Eh, if you don't follow the religion, they don't hold some sacred meaning to you." That is just disrespectful towards Hindu's and their religion. The necklace is clearly an indicator of their culture and it is clearly sacred to them so we can't blame Hindu's from getting mad. This was not even the first time she did this kind of shite.

Also, there are Indian Immigrants in the US or wherever right? So it is warranted that some places sell these necklaces. But if you're not Hindu nor practice Hinduism then why buy the necklace? 

Maybe she does follow the religion to some extent and wanted to express her belief in it? I mean there are some certain religious beliefs from different countries that some people would want to follow. I'm not Hindu nor do I know anything about Hinduism but maybe there are different beliefs from Hinduism that she follows. I don't know her personally so that's just my two cents. rav2

7 hours ago, Darth Sidious said:

There are some cases of it that are perfectly valid. 

Some of the time, though, it’s just absurd.

I searched about Hinduism earlier and Hindu's believe in Diversity and Unity which I think, most people would love to have in the world. So, maybe she wants to promote that in this picture but she was topless and I guess Hindu's did not appreciate that (?) since the pendant of necklace symbolizes their religion (?). The necklace is clearly a Hindu god so I guess the backlash was warranted and it was not the first time she was called out for doing something like this, remember her fashion show where she used sacred Muslim texts? It's all about respect towards people's culture and religion at the end of the day. 

Everyone does not have westernized beliefs and we should respect that because that is the culture of their religion and their country. 

I don't have the right to drag her or even say that she is appropriating culture since I'm not Hindu but again respect should always be shown at all times regardless of religious beliefs or lack thereof. 

22 hours ago, Dani K. said:
  Hide contents

First off, we should respect other people's beliefs and not say this: "Eh, if you don't follow the religion, they don't hold some sacred meaning to you." That is just disrespectful towards Hindu's and their religion. The necklace is clearly an indicator of their culture and it is clearly sacred to them so we can't blame Hindu's from getting mad. This was not even the first time she did this kind of shite.

Also, there are Indian Immigrants in the US or wherever right? So it is warranted that some places sell these necklaces. But if you're not Hindu nor practice Hinduism then why buy the necklace? 

Maybe she does follow the religion to some extent and wanted to express her belief in it? I mean there are some certain religious beliefs from different countries that some people would want to follow. I'm not Hindu nor do I know anything about Hinduism but maybe there are different beliefs from Hinduism that she follows. I don't know her personally so that's just my two cents. rav2

I searched about Hinduism earlier and Hindu's believe in Diversity and Unity which I think, most people would love to have in the world. So, maybe she wants to promote that in this picture but she was topless and I guess Hindu's did not appreciate that (?) since the pendant of necklace symbolizes their religion (?). The necklace is clearly a Hindu god so I guess the backlash was warranted and it was not the first time she was called out for doing something like this, remember her fashion show where she used sacred Muslim texts? It's all about respect towards people's culture and religion at the end of the day. 

Everyone does not have westernized beliefs and we should respect that because that is the culture of their religion and their country. 

I don't have the right to drag her or even say that she is appropriating culture since I'm not Hindu but again respect should always be shown at all times regardless of religious beliefs or lack thereof. 

My point was perhaps she is ignorant to how others view the figure in her necklace, but attacking her isn't going to change anything. They still turn religious imagery into huge for-profit empires and if they REALLY want to try and change that perhaps they should go after those people.

What's warranted about profiting off ANY religious materials? Pretty sure in the majority of religions the original texts state not to do such things. brit16

31 minutes ago, harry said:

My point was perhaps she is ignorant to how others view the figure in her necklace, but attacking her isn't going to change anything. They still turn religious imagery into huge for-profit empires and if they REALLY want to try and change that perhaps they should go after those people.

What's warranted about profiting off ANY religious materials? Pretty sure in the majority of religions the original texts state not to do such things. brit16

Duly noted. 

Like I said as well, maybe she also follows the religion and wanted to show appreciation to it? There are certain beliefs in Hinduism such as diversity and unity and maybe she wanted to emulate it. 

Spoiler

Here in my country, Catholics make rosaries into jewelries and no one bats an eye except for Christians who are very pushy with their beliefs because they don't like the cross symbol. 

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.