Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

ISlayForX

Did madonna even have competiton in her prime?

Just because Madonna may have been the most relevant female artist of a time period it doesn't mean she didn't have competition. In the late 80s which is what you seem to be referring to Celine hadn't broken through yet and Michael Jackson was bigger. 

The fact other pop acts had success in that period such as Whitney doesn't mean she didn't have competition.

Of course her peers also vary between countries. For example in the UK in the 00s P!nk was Madonna's biggest competition. 

Well I mean she always had competition. I think it's a big misconception that the person who's leading the pack doesn't have anyone posing any sort of threat and I don't think that's true. There's someone clearly leading the pack but it doesn't mean they didn't have to continuously go up against others to stay at the head of the pack. The industry's always moving and once you make it to the top you've gotta defend the spot, it's never just gonna be promised to you forever. In Madonna's case, in the 80s in terms of females Janet gave her a challenge and for a time Cyndi did as well (though to a lesser extent than Janet). She was always going against Michael and Prince in the 80s and I think at any given time they were sort of trading off the top-top between the three of them. In the 90s, Mariah did give her competition although outside of the Hot 100, they were rarely ever fighting for the same turf they thrived in their own sides of the business. 

27 minutes ago, Royalty said:

And don’t forget about Britney as soon as she got popular! She ate Madonna up at some point and no, I don’t mean the 2003 VMA’s

Barney the canibal. dead4

6 hours ago, Billie Frank said:

Of course her peers also vary between countries. For example in the UK in the 00s P!nk was Madonna's biggest competition. 

I have to scream lol3

1 minute ago, Billie Frank said:

In the UK P!NK was the second most popular female artist of the 00s decade, Madonna was first. So you can scream all you want. true1

I feel like true competition stretches beyond sales. The only innovation P!nk has ever brought is to sing while swinging from a piece of rope.

1 minute ago, LÉON said:

I feel like true competition stretches beyond sales. The only innovation P!nk has ever brought is to sing while swinging from a piece of rope.

That was actually in terms of radio i think. Even then though it's easy to see why she was bigger through the decade as a whole than Xtina or Britney as she was more consistent.

Whereas Xtina somewhat lost relevancy post B2B and Britney yo-yoed

I would agree though she was less innovate and after 2008 just pandered to middle aged woman and old gays with bland "you can do it, don't let anyone stop you, i am the underdog" middle of the road pop-rock songs.

"Raise Your Glass" is pretty much the blueprint for nearly every P!nk song in the last 11 years. fall9

Right, let's be frank

Until Erotica there were no other female competitors in her rear view mirror. She has worldwide charts, sales and touring success and no other female has managed to match that until the 00s.

The only person who stood out ahead of her was MJ 

5 hours ago, Royalty said:

And don’t forget about Britney as soon as she got popular! She ate Madonna up at some point and no, I don’t mean the 2003 VMA’s

Madonna had the most successful song of 2000, outselling even Oops!... I Did It Again. But Madonna and Britney aren't peers... jj4

7 hours ago, Billie Frank said:

How are Madonna and P!nik peers? It's like saying Britney and Dua are peers. tina1

3 minutes ago, Shego said:

How are Madonna and P!nik peers? It's like saying Britney and Dua are peers. tina1

Because they were the too biggest female solo artists in the UK in the 00s.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.