Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Atlantis Princess

Why pop/rap girls win more Grammys nowadays

So it quite baffles me that some new girls have more Grammys than artists like Madonna, Mariah Carey,  Janet Jackson and Nicki Minaj for example when they were few of the females who had an influence to the industry. 

My theory is that it's because ROCK is not mainstream anymore and therefore the commitee can't give awards to the same white straight male pandering music.

Plus there's also less misogyny and prejudice against female artists nowadays as a lot of them are a force to be reckoned. I feel like they are taken more seriously nowadays. Especially the rap girls.

Like don't tell me that Madonna not winning for the first 15 years of her career isn't a case of white musty committees thinking she's a bimbo and her music is worth less than some rock bands. A similar thing happened with Mariah.

What do y'all think?

The #MeToo movement changed Hollywood and the business industry a lot. Before that they were still giving out awards to male artists like there was no tomorrow. And to answer the Madonna question, her being a controversial artist and a boundary-pusher really affected her chances at getting nominations, let alone winning. Like a Virgin, Like a Prayer, Erotica, American Life were way too "problematic" for them to get some awards.

4 minutes ago, Phoebe said:

The #MeToo movement changed Hollywood and the business industry a lot. Before that they were still giving out awards to male artists like there was no tomorrow. And to answer the Madonna question, her being a controversial artist and a boundary-pusher really affected her chances at getting nominations, let alone winning. Like a Virgin, Like a Prayer, Erotica, American Life were way too "problematic" for them to get some awards.

Which is such a shame because albums like True Blue and Like A Prayer would definitely sweep if they were released today. I feel like nowadays it's so easy to get a nomination and a win. If you're a MPG and release something with minimal or medium success you're almost guaranteed a Grammy nom.

6 hours ago, Atlantis Princess said:

So it quite baffles me that some new girls have more Grammys than artists like Madonna, Mariah Carey,  Janet Jackson and Nicki Minaj for example when they were few of the females who had an influence to the industry. 

Well, i think Grammys are kind of a joke nowadays. And yes i agree, i think Madonna, Mariah and  Janet  definitely DESERVE more Grammys, JJ especially she's so underrated and deserved a Grammy for EVERY SINGLE ALBUM she put out from Control to Damita Jo (probably the greatest Main Pop Girl album run). As for Madge, Like A Prayer, Erotica and American Life definitely deserved a Grammy as well, the only reason they got snubbed is bc of controversy lol. She has served QUALITY from Like A Virgin to Confessions, I think Hard Candy was great as well. Mariah deserved a lot better too, her voice alone makes her music GREAT. From Debut to Emancipation, flawless album run and MIAM was also great and grammy worthy, basically it was her Butterfly 2.0. These 3 are literally THE ULTIMATE FEMALE LEGENDS! They are the blueprint for all the pop girls after them! We wouldn't have Britney, Christina, Pink, Gaga, Rihanna, Beyoncé, Ariana, Shakira, Dua Lipa etc. without their influence. 

2 hours ago, Atlantis Princess said:

It baffles me that you put Madonna and Mariah Carey in the same category as the features artist season 4 dance GIF by The Next Step

15 minutes ago, Joanne said:

It baffles me that you put Madonna and Mariah Carey in the same category as the features artist season 4 dance GIF by The Next Step

You mean Nicki ? Say what you want about her and I'm not even a fan but she is one of the women who influenced the rap game. Like I know they're not in the same category but for what she did in her own genre Nicki lacking a grammy and other rap girls getting them today IS baffling.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.