Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Has anyone else on here watched this series? Unlike The Boys, Amazon's other subversive superhero show, I am quite familiar with the comic series it's based on before ever seeing it, and I  enjoyed the first three episodes quite a bit. The changes they've made so far seem like good ones, particularly 

Spoiler

making the Guardians of the Globe a bit more competent and actually damaging Omni-Man significantly before he kills them, unlike the comic where they're introduced and then immediately killed by him before any of them except the Immortal can even realize who did it.

57 minutes ago, Hyun. said:

never heard of this actually laura1 what's the tea on it

It's a bit difficult to summarize without giving away some of the plot points that hooked me into the comic (and remain in the show), but it's basically about a teenager who's the son of the world's most powerful superhero, his powers finally emerging and the beginning of his superhero career. It's similar to The Boys in that brutal violence plays into the reality of what would actually happen if superheroes fought each other and there are a number of characters who are very direct expies of Superman, Batman, Rorschach, Teen Titans, etc., but the big difference is that unlike The Boys the superheroes in this universe are genuine. 

You should watch it, I think you'd really like it jj2 Although they are releasing it in a similar manner to season two of The Boys which...rubbed you the wrong way jodie4 I can't say it bugs me all that much, and probably even less since it seems mostly faithful to the comic so I have a pretty good idea where it's going but I'm not sure how you'd feel.

27 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

It's a bit difficult to summarize without giving away some of the plot points that hooked me into the comic (and remain in the show), but it's basically about a teenager who's the son of the world's most powerful superhero, his powers finally emerging and the beginning of his superhero career. It's similar to The Boys in that brutal violence plays into the reality of what would actually happen if superheroes fought each other and there are a number of characters who are very direct expies of Superman, Batman, Rorschach, Teen Titans, etc., but the big difference is that unlike The Boys the superheroes in this universe are genuine. 

You should watch it, I think you'd really like it jj2 Although they are releasing it in a similar manner to season two of The Boys which...rubbed you the wrong way jodie4 I can't say it bugs me all that much, and probably even less since it seems mostly faithful to the comic so I have a pretty good idea where it's going but I'm not sure how you'd feel.

oh that sounds cool! i'll keep it in my list laura1

i'm not mad at weekly releases every time tbh it depends on if the show if written for them (like WandaVision and Falcon and Winter Soldier which i thought work perfectly), or if it's just a long piece split up in little chapters like The Boys was jodie4

6 hours ago, Urbi said:

I loved S1 oprah15 

Yea, I really enjoyed it overall as well, although having read the comic book I felt that episode 8 was a little gratuitous in comparison (the scene in 

Spoiler

the subway

was when it got to be a little much, I thought, considering there were already two similar scenes in the episode. Happy it's been renewed for another 2!

12 hours ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Yea, I really enjoyed it overall as well, although having read the comic book I felt that episode 8 was a little gratuitous in comparison (the scene in 

Reveal hidden contents

was when it got to be a little much, I thought, considering there were already two similar scenes in the episode. Happy it's been renewed for another 2!

Do you know any other shows that are similar?  

4 minutes ago, Urbi said:

Do you know any other shows that are similar?  

The thing I think is sort of special about the Invincible series is it manages to successfully have its cake and eat it too in that it is both subversive and also still comes across as a genuine superhero story. I don't think there's anything exactly like it, but similar is The Boys which is also on Prime (although you've likely heard of it at the very least) and Spawn: The Animated Series which ran on HBO from 1997-1999.

Just now, Dennis Reynolds said:

The thing I think is sort of special about the Invincible series is it manages to successfully have its cake and eat it too in that it is both subversive and also still comes across as a genuine superhero story. I don't think there's anything exactly like it, but similar is The Boys which is also on Prime (although you've likely heard of it at the very least) and Spawn: The Animated Series which ran on HBO from 1997-1999.

I’ve heard about The Boys but haven’t watched a single episode. Added to my watchlist oprah15 

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.