Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

poSLAYtions

Did Katy deserve to "flop" with Witness? Or was it just an unfair cruel tragedy?

It's an old topic, very dated to be talked about, but I still want to know what we think about it. Setting aside one of my BG thread which was intended to troll @Katy Petty by calling Katy untalented and a bad artist, I actually love Katy. She has a very inspiring career arc; her years of efforts to make it big in the music industry was no joke. And it paid off. She's one of the biggest pop artist of all-time just by the success of Teenage Dream alone. Not only that, the fact that she had written many songs that ended up in other artists' discogs is such an amazing feat for a songwriter, and those songs are good too!

Do you think that her "fall from [commercial] grace" was truly fair? Or was it really made worse by the public, especially back in Trump's administration period, mainly by the right-wing people? Because, seriously, I have warmed up greatly to Bon Appetit and that was the worst song of the album!

Let's discuss!

3 minutes ago, BabyMario44 said:

ofc it deserved to flop! Witness is trash!  ny6

Ok Cumtractor stan. 

11 minutes ago, An Impossible Princess said:

It's an old topic, very dated to be talked about, but I still want to know what we think about it. Setting aside one of my BG thread which was intended to troll @Katy Petty by calling Katy untalented and a bad artist, I actually love Katy. She has a very inspiring career arc; her years of efforts to make it big in the music industry was no joke. And it paid off. She's one of the biggest pop artist of all-time just by the success of Teenage Dream alone. Not only that, the fact that she had written many songs that ended up in other artists' discogs is such an amazing feat for a songwriter, and those songs are good too!

Do you think that her "fall from [commercial] grace" was truly fair? Or was it really made worse by the public, especially back in Trump's administration period, mainly by the right-wing people? Because, seriously, I have warmed up greatly to Bon Appetit and that was the worst song of the album... primarily caused by the Migos feature.

Let's discuss!

Witness was ruined by the awful haircut and cringe backpack kid, it's actually not even that bad of an album. Better than more commercially successful albums by certain faves... I really do think it was the Bionic of it's era. 

7 minutes ago, Billie Frank said:

Ok Cumtractor stan. 

Witness was ruined by the awful haircut and cringe backpack kid, it's actually not even that bad of an album. Better than more commercially successful albums by certain faves... I really do think it was the Bionic of it's era. 

Bionic is so much better, plsss. Also Chromatica and ARTPOP as well>>>>>>>>>>>Witness. Even Jewels N Drugs (the worst song on ARTPOP) is better than the entirety of Witness 😂😂🤣

🤣

#JusticeForBionic and JusticeForARTPOP 

If it had sounded like Swish Swish and Chained to the Rhythm maybe. 

And the album isn’t so much “bad” as much as it’s really boring. 

And the biggest problem with Katy Perry is that  when most people use her, they don’t use her for boring. 

So, no, it got exactly what it deserved.

6 minutes ago, august said:

Yes. Chained to the Bubbling under was just not a good lead single. Swish Swish was too childish. Hey Hey Hey was the one I enjoyed from that flop era.

Swish Swish is sooooo ridiculous as a song. Nicki's verse tho is fire! 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

7 minutes ago, august said:

Yes. Chained to the Bubbling under was just not a good lead single. Swish Swish was too childish. Hey Hey Hey was the one I enjoyed from that flop era.

Are you drunk? Chained To The Rhythm was a hit and a great song, the fact the video has nearly 700M views and was highly praised speaks for itself. The concept behind it was genius, it's what came after it that flopped. The poor reception to the Bon Apple Tittie and Swift Swift Fish being what killed it. Bon Appetite should've had a better video and Hey Hey Hey or Bigger Than Me released instead of Swish Swish. 

9 minutes ago, BabyMario44 said:

Bionic is so much better, plsss. Also Chromatica and ARTPOP as well>>>>>>>>>>>Witness. Even Jewels N Drugs (the worst song on ARTPOP) is better than the entirety of Witness 😂😂🤣🤣

Bionic  > ArtPop > Witness > Cumtractor. I SAID WHAT I SAID. 

Jewels N Drugs and the song with the PDFile don't exist in my head. 

Just now, Billie Frank said:

Are you drunk? Chained To The Rhythm was a hit and a great song, the fact the song has nearly 700M views and was highly praised speaks for itself. The concept behind it was genius, it's what came after it that flopped. The poor reception to the Bon Apple Tittie and Swift Swift Fish being what killed it. Bon Appetite should've had a better video and Hey Hey Hey or Bigger Than Me released instead of Swish Swish. 

You know I don't drink sis rih3 CTTR is mediocre and aged. 

Just now, august said:

You know I don't drink sis rih3 CTTR is mediocre and aged. 

It's really not though. CTTR is one of the best lead singles of the past decade. 

Katy should've went in the direction of CTTR, 365, NRO & Harleys. They're some of her best songs. 

1 minute ago, Billie Frank said:

It's really not though. CTTR is one of the best lead singles of the past decade. 

Katy should've went in the direction of CTTR, 365, NRO & Harleys. They're some of her best songs. 

She should also work with you know who again bey11

1 minute ago, Billie Frank said:

Ok Cumtractor stan. 

I agree. It's definitely more in line with the falling from grace scenario, as Xtina was from Back to Basics to Bionic, compared to, say, Gaga's ARTPOP. I remember that stans used to compare Bionic's underperformance to ARTPOP's, but it's really not because Gaga's sales was already shrinking after TF/TFM. I think the drop in ARTPOP's sales also wasn't that huge so it never appeared like a complete failure. I mean, Applause also charted in the top 5 on BB Hot 100 and Do What U Want also got in the top 20. Compare that to Chained to the Rhythm which peaked at number 4, the same peak as Applause, but then Bon Appetit couldn't even get in the top 40.

Btw, coming off @Strobo's peak thread, it's actually kind of good that Katy had peaked commercially with Prism. It's also largely considered as her 'best' album, although I believe she still has better material to offer in the future and that perhaps her actual best album hasn't arrived yet, and it resulted in a collection of hit singles that was much bigger than TD's hits. I mean, that's amazing!

Just now, august said:

Waiting for someone to open thread, "Did smile deserve to flop" nicki5

Yes it did. But every thorn bush has it's nice moments. Small Talk and Never Worn White were dead on arrival. 

Just now, An Impossible Princess said:

Btw, coming off @Strobo's peak thread, it's actually kind of good that Katy had peaked commercially with Prism. It's also largely considered as her 'best' album, although I believe she still has better material to offer in the future and that perhaps her actual best album hasn't arrived yet, and it resulted in a collection of hit singles that was much bigger than TD's hits. I mean, that's amazing!

I agree, i do think her creative peak could still be ahead rather than behind her. Songs like Never Really Over have proven that. She needs to try and drop the "Kiddie" image though. The more sensual image of Harleys felt like a step in the right direction.

On 3/29/2021 at 5:09 PM, Billie Frank said:

Bionic  > ArtPop > Witness > Cumtractor. I SAID WHAT I SAID. 

Jewels N Drugs and the song with the PDFile don't exist in my head. 

Chromatica is excellence and perfection sis and y'all have been sleeping on it! 🙄

On 3/29/2021 at 5:16 PM, august said:

Waiting for someone to open thread, "Did smile deserve to flop" nicki5

Smile deserved to flop as well 😂😂😂😂

Just now, BabyMario44 said:

Chromatica is excellence and perfection and y'all have been sleeping on it! 🙄

No one is sleeping on it. Stop praising a turd. 

It’s her best album by far. 

Also going to the Witness Tour in Paris by myself is one of my fondest memories EVER and I will forever be so thankful for that. sob1 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.