Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Strobo

What are your faves best albums and why?

Since I honestly love seeing you guys' opinions on this sort of thing, in light of what I said about Stripped and Blackout, I decided to just... make a thread about it.

Shade fully welcome here.

I'll start.

Prince's best album is Sign O The Times because it was Prince at his peak artistry. While Prince + The Revolution are the most remembered eras of him, SOTT showed how much of a tour de force Prince truly was as an almost entirely one man show, and every single facet of what made Prince himself is on full display. The incredible compositions, the genre-bending arrangements, his passionate vocals, his signature style of storytelling it's all there, and it still holds up ridiculously well all these years later. I won't ramble too much, but all it takes is one listen of this album to understand what made Prince a legend.

I'll return later to do some others probably.

Gaga's best album is Born This Way. It helped me accept myself and my homosexuality and gave me so much comfort in a time I wasn't comfortable with myself. This album is also the reason I will never EVER give up on stanning Gaga, because I will not forget what this album did for me wub1 

I also love thank u, next from miss Ariana, because it got me through very bad times. wub1 

From the faves who've i've cared enough to listen to a full album of. 

Ariana: Thank You, Next

Britney: In The Zone

Christina Aguilera: B2B or Bionic

Dula Peep: Future Nostalgia

Gwen Stefani: L.A.M.B.

Katy Perry: PRISM

Lady Gaga: ArtPOP

Madonna: Ray Of Light

Mariah: Butterfly or Emancipation

Taylor: Evermore

Ariana - Sweetener (Looking back, I prefer this over thank u, next; and pretty much every other album. I've grown to love every song. The acapellas, the harmonies, the sounds which she's then continued to do since then, and I wish she hadn't. God Is A Woman was robbed of that Grammy. )

Beyonce - BEYONCE (It changed the way that music's released. Visuals for every song. The surprise release alone was a stand out moment in her career. Deserved AOTY. )

Coldplay - X&Y (2005 was such a good year for music. I was OBSESSED with Speed Of Sound. And I love the other singles. The album is great. Deserved another ROTY/SOTY nomination)

Dua - Future Nostalgia: The Moonlight Edition (I love the new tracks apart from Not My Problem. Great era, great music. Still slaying in terms of streaming and radio plays. Levitating and We're Good ROTY/SOTY)

Lana - Born To Die: The Paradise Edition (Ride. Need I say more?)

Mariah - Butterfly (A very personal album. Every song is great. Some singles deserved better, the label's fault. Her look this era was amazing.)

Rihanna - LOUD (One of the BEST Pop albums/era of the 2010's. Worthy of AOTY. Every song is great. Red-anna is one of the best looks)

Tinashe - Songs For You (She broke away from the shitshow that is RCA and made an amazing r&b album. Possibly her best work to date. Deserved more promo. Her virtual concerts were fun.)

• Lemonade - Songs just fit and work together in a very clear narrative while also all having a life of their own in their completely different genres. Absolutely no skips. The visual only elevates it. Grief, anger, sadness, hope, trauma, love. All explored through the lens of the black experience in the USA. Noone but Her could've pulled off such a complex and nuanced body of work. In the words of one Hattie White at her 90th birthday party: I had my ups and downs, but I always find the inner strength to pull myself up. I was served lemons, but I made Lemonadegiveup1 
  • Ray Of Light - I personaly believe Madonna is only as good as her collaborators. Strangely, Orbit's never been this good with anyone else, but then again neither has she, not even when they worked together again. Must've been perfect timing for them as this album is truly impecable. Madonna at her most introspective. It's complex, deep, honest, clever. The atmosphere it creates is unbelievable. I always feel like I went on a journey under water somehow after it finishes. Baptize me queen yas2
  • Impossible Princess - This album is lowkey claustrophobic. For the first time Kylie set to write every song on an album and the risk didnt pay off commercially but the authenticity behind every track is undeniable. I dont revisit this album as a whole as often as I do the other 3 on the list cause it's an album that challenges you to pay attention, it's full of intricate production details and different vocal styles and deliveries. As someone who deals with anxiety on my every day life, the album is very validating as it deals with feeling trapped in your mind a lot and longs for freedom but also about needing a connection as some kind of anchor. It's synthetic and organic. Close and personal, cold and distant. It's not an album for everyone, and it's far from her most accesible material but I'm very fond of it true1 
  • evermore - A true masterclass on songwriting. The melodies, the metaphors, the juxtapositions, the details, the lack of details, the rich vocabulary. It works almost as a thesis on the duality of being stuck on the past/moving on. We kill a man over an affair and then go cheat on our husband with our gay lover 4 songs later. I mean the RANGE. From failed marriage proposals, to grief and mental health, con artists, daydreaming. Stories about you, about me, about Taylor, about your friends, about your enemies. It takes massive talent to create this level of relatability and honesty about things everyone goes through. You can say whatever you want about Taylor but her emotional inteligence and maturity cant be denied and it shines right through all these songs. rose1

not me going the extra mile and delivering a fucking essay while everyone else will just list their fave album from each fave jay1 

Ariana - Thank U, Next
"And sorry if I say sorry way too much.."

Thank U, Next is the album where Ariana finally finds her sound and voice. From the production to the lyrics to the aesthetics and to the themes, everything about the album is authentically and honestly 100% her.

Taylor - Folklore
"A dwindling, mercurial high, a drug that only worked the first few hundred times."

Reputation is my favorite album from, but Folklore is arguably her best. It's the perfect grand finale of everything she's done before -- everything that she's acquired, learned and perfected throughout her entire career from her Country days to her Pop transition are all present in Folklore, and they're all the best they've ever been. Folklore is Taylor in her purest essence.

Florence + the Machine - How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful
"Maybe I've always been more comfortable in chaos.."

Lungs may be their most commercially successful and widely known album and Ceremonials may be the common fan favorite, How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful is Florence at her most powerful. I don't think I can ever put into words how perfect this era is. It's mature, dramatic, vulnerable and brutally honest in the best ways possible. It's calm, yet violent. It's lonely, yet healing. It's a very special album that I will always treasure. One of my all time favorites.

Other Faves
Lady Gaga - The Fame Monster
Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence
Kylie Minogue - Aphrodite
Tove Lo - Lady Wood

3 minutes ago, plutoniano said:
  • not me going the extra mile and delivering a fucking essay while everyone else will just list their fave album from each fave jay1 

Me limiting my list to just 3 albums and cutting words to keep them short cause I didn't wanna look weird posting a huge essay only for you to post yours 10 seconds before I did.. jay1

3 minutes ago, plutoniano said:
  • Lemonade - Songs just fit and work together in a very clear narrative while also all having a life of their own in their completely different genres. Absolutely no skips. The visual only elevates it. Grief, anger, sadness, hope, trauma, love. All explored through the lens of the black experience in the USA. Noone but Her could've pulled off such a complex and nuanced body of work. In the words of one Hattie White at her 90th birthday party: I had my ups and downs, but I always find the inner strength to pull myself up. I was served lemons, but I made Lemonadegiveup1 
  • Ray Of Light - I personaly believe Madonna is only as good as her collaborators. Strangely, Orbit's never been this good with anyone else, but then again neither has she, not even when they worked together again. Must've been perfect timing for them as this album is truly impecable. Madonna at her most introspective. It's complex, deep, honest, clever. The atmosphere it creates is unbelievable. I always feel like I went on a journey under water somehow after it finishes. Baptize me queen yas2
  • Impossible Princess - This album is lowkey claustrophobic. For the first time Kylie set to write every song on an album and the risk didnt pay off commercially but the authenticity behind every track is undeniable. I dont revisit this album as a whole as often as I do the other 3 on the list cause it's an album that challenges you to pay attention, it's full of intricate production details and different vocal styles and deliveries. As someone who deals with anxiety on my every day life, the album is very validating as it deals with feeling trapped in your mind a lot and longs for freedom but also about needing a connection as some kind of anchor. It's synthetic and organic. Close and personal, cold and distant. It's not an album for everyone, and it's far from her most accesible material but I'm very fond of it true1 
  • evermore - A true masterclass on songwriting. The melodies, the metaphors, the juxtapositions, the details, the lack of details, the rich vocabulary. It works almost as a thesis on the duality of being stuck on the past/moving on. We kill a man over an affair and then go cheat on our husband with our gay lover 4 songs later. I mean the RANGE. From failed marriage proposals, to grief and mental health, con artists, daydreaming. Stories about you, about me, about Taylor, about your friends, about your enemies. It takes massive talent to create this level of relatability and honesty about things everyone goes through. You can say whatever you want about Taylor but her emotional inteligence and maturity cant be denied and it shines right through all these songs. rose1

not me going the extra mile and delivering a fucking essay while everyone else will just list their fave album from each fave jay1 

The amount of taste on display here, and your descriptions are so on point with the emotions and feelings they evoke (in fact I feel the same way about all these albums).

The only one I could see some disagreement with is Impossible Princess, even though it is probably the most personal of them all. I did not enjoy this album on my first listen, it was very much not what I expected from Kylie, but still I kept coming back to it.

So rarely do you hear an album deep while someone is in the middle of something, usually it's in retrospect.

I wonder how she feels about that album nowadays? Low-key I've always felt like she treats it as a mistake, even though it's far from it.

Britney Spears - Blackout or In The Zone (Britney2001 comes close and i like it better than ITZ but ITZ was her artistic peak imo)

Gaga - Born This Way or TFM (she has no bad albums tbh)

Beyonce - LEMONADE and ST (i looooveee both soo much however my fave is IASF. and same as Gaga, she has no bad albums)

Mariah - Butterfly (her PEAK in everything, i love Emancipation, MIAM and Daydream too)

Madonna - Ray Of Light (ROL was her peak in EVERYTHING, but Music and Confessions are my faves, i'm more familiar with 2000sDonna)

Janet - The Velvet Rope (love this but my fave is either it or Rhythm Nation 1814, i love Control and All For You too)

Shakira - Laundry Service or She Wolf probably Sale El Sol

Ariana - Dangerous Woman

Kylie - Fever (obviously)

Xtina - Stripped (BY FAR. Bionic comes close too #JusticeForBionic)

Rihanna - Rated R (i believe in Rated R supremacy idc ari2)

Dua - FUTURE NOSTALGIA (obviously) 

Gwen - LAMB

1 hour ago, Mario said:

yes Sale El Sol too, it's basically her Laundry Service 2.0 and it's amazing. Well all her stuff from Donde Estan Los Ladrones onwards is full of bops and literally FLAWLESS!

Please stop saying certain albums are like XXXX 2.0... It really does the original album a disservice. moo1

1 hour ago, Royalty said:

I'm rebelling against the lower case spamming from certain FOTP faves. 

1 hour ago, Strobo said:

I wonder how she feels about that album nowadays? Low-key I've always felt like she treats it as a mistake, even though it's far from it.

I dont think she regrets it but she did say she'd never make a record that personal again eve1 

1 hour ago, Strobo said:

I did not enjoy this album on my first listen, it was very much not what I expected from Kylie, but still I kept coming back to it.

I think it mostly comes down to this. Most people would come to Kylie for a quick bop and some feel good, perfectly crafted, silly pop songs about love and fun and dancing. So an album that's not easy to digest will make for a more challenging listening experience than say Aphrodite or Disco. Don't get me wrong, we most definitely need euphoric pop music that lets us dance freely but it's kind of selfish to not let her also explore that more introspective side of herself. I think she felt she was punished for it at the time and that's probably why we will never get an album as honest and raw as IP. We might get some glimpses into Kylie the person/artist here and there but she wont ever let us into her state of mind again.

1 hour ago, Mario said:

yes Sale El Sol too, it's basically her Laundry Service 2.0 and it's amazing. Well all her stuff from Donde Estan Los Ladrones onwards is full of bops and literally FLAWLESS!

i had addded Pies Descalzos to my post but deleted it cause I thought noone would care and now you come and ignore the holy scripture like this rih9 

38 minutes ago, Billie Frank said:

I'm rebelling against the lower case spamming from certain FOTP faves. 

This ain't BGs type of content (unless you want to see @Royalty & @Mario fights over the faves) but hey, let me indulge in!

Mariah's best album is Butterfly. The reason I say this is because it is the only album of hers that had completely overhauled her artistry and perhaps her life too. Before Butterfly, her oeuvre was mostly filled with either uptempos or ballads that actually possessed lesser amount of creativity in their lyrical quality. As much as I love the run from debut to Daydream, her songs could appear very repetitive if not monotonous with their lyrics. It's not really until Butterfly that her skill as a lyricist was completely at its maximum level, creative and even innovative also with her singing for each songs except for, maybe, Whenever You Call, not to mention that it also produced Outside which was the first time that she ever addressed her racial identity so directly yet still made it sound ever so sublime. Mariah herself has since made Butterfly as the standard measurement for her music going forward till today.

I believe Impossible Princess is still Kylie's best album. As much as I love her more general public oriented dance-pop music like Light Years or Disco, or anything by her really, the 1997 album is honestly the barest and bravest she ever presented herself on an album. It's obviously influenced by the works of Björk, Pet Shop Boys, etc., but there's a sense of unique authenticity and urgency within each songs. The lyrical works is overall very adventurous and her singing is also so varied here. There's also the fact that it took her 21 years until she felt comfortable to fully write her material for an LP again (see: Golden). Unlike what Butterfly meant for Mariah, Impossible Princess became such a bad omen for Kylie that she had tried to separate herself from it until recently. However, it's safe to assume that whatever it was that occupied her mind then had given a way for her to explore her talent as a musician and became a pretty great one at that.

40 minutes ago, An Impossible Princess said:

nicki4

Meet me outside in the parking lot, let’s see if you still have a big mouth then meg1 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.