Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Freaky Prince

MARINA | Ancient Dreams In A Modern Land | June 11th, 2021

Venus Fly Trap really suffers from the short length. It doesn't go anywhere and then it just ends. Super disappointed this will be getting the bigger budget video over the title track. 

Highly Emotional People is gorgeous. It's so chill and soothing. Very similar to Handmade Heaven, so much so that you could sing HH's chorus over HEP's.

New America is okay but I don't think I'll be listening to it often. I don't mind political commentary in music but it's just a bit too on the nose here for me.

Pandora's Box is a nice ballad but it didn't blow me away. I was hoping for me considering the concept of the song. 

I really enjoyed I Love You But I Love Me More. The guitars in the background during the final chorus were a nice touch.

Flowers is really beautiful. Marina never really disappoints when it comes to her ballads honestly. 

Goodbye is beautiful as well. Definitely the Buy the Stars of the album. I do appreciate the little twist in the chorus. I wasn't expecting it when it first happened.

Overall, I really enjoyed the album. Is it anything new for Marina? No. However, this feels like a Marina album unlike L+F and I enjoyed it infinitely more than L+F (I don't think L+F is bad, it's just so fucking basic it hurts to listen to). The length hinders this project a bit. I'm sure we'll get Pink Convertible on a deluxe edition in a couple months so there's that. I also feel like the tracklisting is kinda odd? But I don't really know how she could have done it better when the first four tracks are so radically different in sound than everything else in the album. I actually think Purge the Poison should have been towards the end. I'd rather the ballads all be interjected between the more uptempo tracks than lumped together at the end.

How I'd arrange it personally (not perfect but this is a difficult album to order imo):

1. Ancient Dreams in a Modern Land
2. Venus Fly Trap
3. Man's World
4. Highly Emotional People
5. I Love You, But I Love Me More
6. Pandora's Box
7. New America
8. Purge the Poison
9. Flowers
10. Goodbye 

14 hours ago, CHANEL #1 said:

Pandora's Box is a nice ballad but it didn't blow me away. I was hoping for me considering the concept of the song.

Flowers is really beautiful. Marina never really disappoints when it comes to her ballads honestly.

nicki5

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.