Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

fab

Which song is the biggest missed opportunity for a single?

which single?   

18 members have voted

1. 1. biggest missed opportunity?

• I Did Something Bad
    • Cruel Summer
    • exile
    • other

I just listened to I Did Something Bad again and I can't get over how much of a missed opportunity this was ari6 i'm convinced it would've become one of her biggest hits had it been released as lead single instead of LWYMMD ari6

32 minutes ago, Jake said:

Cruel Summer

Also I wish she lead Reputa with Don't Blame Me. Could've been her Take Me To Church moment

Don't Blame Me is a cute song but I don't think it's lead single material xtina2

New Romantics. It should've been a standard album track and made a proper single, but instead she chose to use the song as a promotional song for the 1989 Tour. rip4 

Also Cruel Summer should definitely have been a single like it was initially planned to. It could've been the smash Lover needed. Fuck Covid gaga1 

Other contenders: Enchanted, All You Had to Do Was Stay, Don't Blame Me, Miss Americana & the Heartbreak Prince, Exile, Gold Rush

I really don't think I Did Something Bad would have done well. Don't Blame Me was the big missed opportunity when it comes to Reputation.

Exile was ready to be her Just Give Me a Reason and they just ignored it.

Enchanted should have at least gotten a video. 

58 minutes ago, Snow said:

New Romantics. It should've been a standard album track and made a proper single, but instead she chose to use the song as a promotional song for the 1989 Tour. rip4 

the 1989 era just had no more steam by then, so it wouldn't have mattered imo xtina2  1989 had plenty of other great singles 

59 minutes ago, Snow said:

Also Cruel Summer should definitely have been a single like it was initially planned to. It could've been the smash Lover needed. Fuck Covid gaga1 

agree about Cruel Summer, but without Covid we would've never gotten folklore & evermore so I'm conflicted xtina2 

16 minutes ago, fab said:

the 1989 era just had no more steam by then, so it wouldn't have mattered imo xtina2  1989 had plenty of other great singles 

Nah, I think it could've been easily the sixth single. I remember everyone was BEGGING for New Romantics to be the next single at that point but girlie decided to go left field and release OOTW rip4  If OOTW, a shitty song which was already nearing Gold because it sold 200k on it's first week as a promo single, can peak inside the Top 25 as a single 1.5 years later, I think the lesser known New Romantics can easily go in Top 10 or even Top 5. 

But noo girlie wanted to force OOTW down our throats gaga1 the era was doing somewhat well at that point, especially considering she still had promo slot (opening the Grammys) and had the Grammys hype going.

19 minutes ago, fab said:

agree about Cruel Summer, but without Covid we would've never gotten folklore & evermore so I'm conflicted xtina2 

Oh, you're right.. well then she could've at least ditched The Man or made the Lover (song) era a bit shorter and released Cruel Summer instead moo1 

11 minutes ago, Snow said:

Nah, I think it could've been easily the sixth single. I remember everyone was BEGGING for New Romantics to be the next single at that point but girlie decided to go left field and release OOTW rip4  If OOTW, a shitty song which was already nearing Gold because it sold 200k on it's first week as a promo single, can peak inside the Top 25 as a single 1.5 years later, I think the lesser known New Romantics can easily go in Top 10 or even Top 5. 

But noo girlie wanted to force OOTW down our throats gaga1 the era was doing somewhat well at that point, especially considering she still had promo slot (opening the Grammys) and had the Grammys hype going.

Omg I remember everyone obsessing about New Romantics gaga1 I just don't see what's so interesting about that song, it screams album track to me gaga1 it's great in the context of the album, but viewed as a standalone track it's just very bland gaga1

also Out Of The Woods peak was from when it was released as promo single though.. I don't think it got back into the Top 40 when it was released as single  true1 

22 minutes ago, fab said:

Omg I remember everyone obsessing about New Romantics gaga1 I just don't see what's so interesting about that song, it screams album track to me gaga1 it's great in the context of the album, but viewed as a standalone track it's just very bland gaga1

also Out Of The Woods peak was from when it was released as promo single though.. I don't think it got back into the Top 40 when it was released as single  true1 

UM! I have to strongly disagree gaga1

OOTW debuted & peaked at #18 as promo single, I said Top 25 because I vaguely remember it peaking at #24 after the Grammys push + MV, but I'm not sure. Either way it tanked when NR would've smashed gaga1

The fact that All Too Well is an album track when that is one of her most incredibly written songs that more people deserve to know astounds me.

1989 deserved New Romantics, if only because deluxe track that even me not caring about her back then remember people really loving. It makes more sense than OOTW (even though I think it's a great song)

Reputation was entirely mishandled imo, I Did Something Bad would've been an incredible start to the era, though LWYMMD is iconic, the song is... questionable. Dress also felt like a missed opportunity.

Lover really chose the weaker tracks (bar the title track) as singles and I don't know why when so many tracks there would've been better than ME!, YNTCD and The Man...

Honestly the lack of a Cruel Summer performance, let alone single/video treatment is offensive period.

And folklore not pushing august or exile is criminal, though I don't mind this as much. She just wanted the music to speak for itself, and it really did.

I think exile really brings together everything associated with Taylor and gives such a solid product that people enjoyed from folklore nearly the most. oprah1

Cruel Summer could be classified as missed single opportunity, but toxic-relationship-with-self-destructive-end type of song wasn't direct example of how she wanted to represent Lover after half-vindictive reputation. bey7

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.