Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Snow

Average sales for a #1 song has declined by 94% in just 8 years

J5UKx2S.png
The average est. sales for a Hot 100 #1 in 2021 is 17k, a 94.1% decline since it's peak in 2013.
Are pure sales dead for good? Will songs start going #1 by selling 50 copies in 2025? Is the Global 200 going to overtake the Hot 100 in relevancy?
Discuss!

Hmm, I don't think we should compare this year to the peak year considering we're not even halfway through the year yet. I'm not surprised tho considering the physical market is dying

11 minutes ago, Entea said:

Hmm, I don't think we should compare this year to the peak year considering we're not even halfway through the year yet. I'm not surprised tho considering the physical market is dying

except for vinyls.  clap3

28 minutes ago, Entea said:

To be fair it's the average so I don't think it'll change THAT much rip4 2020 had a lot of big sale numbers (esp. BTS' Dynamite and their stan spam) and in the end 2020 still ended up with 43k.

This is just a clear indication of people's preference for streaming. Purchasing physical copies (CDs, vinyls, etc.) is really only done by the older generations, purists and collectors. I don't think pure sales will ever die in the foreseeable future but I do think the number will get smaller and smaller as we move further in the 2020s.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.