Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Wonder

Songs That Need to be Retired and Songs That Need to See More Spotlight

One of the most exciting things about Madonna's tours are seeing what songs end up making the setlists. Being one of the few older artists who are willing to stack their setlist with their newest album, the left over slots for older songs are growing more and more exclusive as time goes on. There are certain songs that have made a ton of appearances on setlists in one form or another and then there's a whole slate that has been done once and disappeared all together. So, what songs do you think need to finally be retired from heavy rotation and what songs do you think should be brought back (as in songs played on past tours that have disappeared from setlists)? Or one step further, what songs that have never seen the stage should finally get their moment in the spotlight? 

Looking at the Madame X Tour Setlist she should've dropped American Life. I know there's a strong politic statement behind it but that album as a whole has aged like milk and has awful production. 

I'm kind of shocked she hasn't really performed Hung Up or Sorry since the MDNA Tour. 

7 minutes ago, Billie Frank said:

I'm kind of shocked she hasn't really performed Hung Up or Sorry since the MDNA Tour. 

She hates Sorry and isn't that fond of the whole Confessions on a Dance Floor album afaik.

51 minutes ago, Phoebe said:

She hates Sorry and isn't that fond of the whole Confessions on a Dance Floor album afaik.

There's a little part of me that feels like she knows how much we love it and that's why she avoids acknowledging it's existence...because she's an evil little twat. 

1 hour ago, Billie Frank said:

Looking at the Madame X Tour Setlist she should've dropped American Life. I know there's a strong politic statement behind it but that album as a whole has aged like milk and has awful production. 

sorry for pulling a Grandes POV tea and responding in two different posts I really meant to respond to this in the post above and just...forgot to. 

American Life was an interesting case because it wasn't just that it's message fit the theme of the show, it suddenly came back around after a long time of fans asking her to do it. When she did it at the second Tears of a Clown gig, it hadn't been performed since 2004. That whole album holds a very special place in a lot of stans' hearts and the reception she got from playing those songs at the first Tears of a Clown show I think is what initially made her aware that something had changed between 2003 and then in regards to that material. Even recently, publications that gave it poor reviews at the time have since come back and said that their stance has changed on it. The negative reception to that album did bother her, it was pretty clear that she was at best pissed at worst hurt that it was treated the way it was simply because of the politics that it was the product of. So I think seeing how the album is viewed now has made her want to revisit it. Whereas an album like Confessions and Music (the two albums of the collection considered her best that she ignores almost completely) were loved and universally praised from the very beginning, AL is only now being appreciated. I just kinda got the sense that she dove back into AL because she wanted to retroactively prove it's worth and she doesn't have to with a lot of the others. 

2 hours ago, Billie Frank said:

That was one of the only songs on that tour that was a pleasant surprise. That said, the entire album is probably one of her most timeless cause sonically it wasn't chasing a certain trend. mad5 The MX setlist consisted entirely of songs she had done on MDNA and S&S. There were no surprises and overall it was just a damn disappointment.

Anyway, back to the OP...I have put the songs into three categories. The ones in red are the ones that should not appear on any tour in the near future. Yellow songs are slightly overdone but not to a point where it becomes tiring and green are my top picks for songs that deserve to be dusted off again. Songs in bold have never been performed by her on any of her tours (not counting one-off performances and interludes)

Holiday
Like a Virgin
La Isla Bonita
Like a Prayer
Vogue
Human Nature
Candy Shop

Material Girl
Dress You Up
Papa Don't Preach (unless she decides to finally do more than just one verse and one chorus)
Express Yourself
Music
Hung Up

Lucky Star
Borderline
Everybody
Physical Attraction
Crazy for You
Gambler
Into the Groove
Live to Tell
Open Your Heart
Erotica
Deeper and Deeper
Rain
Bad Girl
Fever
I'll Remember
Secret
Take a Bow
Bedtime Story
(Forbidden Love)
(Sanctuary)

You'll See
Ray of Light
Nothing Really Matters
The Power of Good-Bye

(Swim)
(Skin)

Beautiful Stranger
Don't Tell Me
Hollywood
Love Profusion

(Easy Ride)
(Intervention)

Sorry
Get Together
Jump
4 Minutes
Give It 2 Me
Falling Free
Ghosttown

Songs that she needs to perform more:

JUMP! 

I Love New York 

Beat Goes On

Amazing 

Beautiful Stranger 

Everybody (Confessions Tour version) - if she ever goes on tour again, she better perform that awesome version of Everybody AGAIN!! 

Candy Shop (don't @ me ari2

I'm Addicted - I'd love if she performs one day a medley of Future Lovers, I Feel Love and I'm Addicted. It would SLAAAAYYYY

I'll Remember 

Let It Will Be

Get Together 

Sorry

Forbidden Love (Confessions) 

Bad Girl

Fever

Live to Tell

Rain

Nothing Really Matters

Take A Bow 

LOVE PROFUSION

Celebration 

Heartbeat

Forbidden Love (Bedtimes) 

Miles Away

Borderline 

Hey You 

Hollywood 

Lucky Star

Falling Free

Ghosttown 

Dress You Up 

Which ones i think she should retire

Songs on Rebel Heart 

That's all. 

I don't think I'll ever get tired of Holiday,  Hung Up, Vogue, Music, Express Yourself, Borderline, Like A Virgin, Like A Prayer or Ray Of Light 

6 hours ago, Billie Frank said:

She performed Hung Up tho.

Sorry not, but I'm imaging how it could sound, maybe like this i guess:

20 minutes ago, Mario said:

She performed Hung Up tho.

I said "since the MDNA Tour"...

29 minutes ago, Madonna said:

That was one of the only songs on that tour that was a pleasant surprise. That said, the entire album is probably one of her most timeless cause sonically it wasn't chasing a certain trend. mad5 The MX setlist consisted entirely of songs she had done on MDNA and S&S. There were no surprises and overall it was just a damn disappointment.

I'm not sure if i would call American Life timeless, even by 2003 standards the production was dated. I appreciate what she was trying to do and the vision she had, but it's just an album i'll never like much. Madonna has great ideas and concepts but often works with the wrong producers imo.  

1 hour ago, Mr. Mendes said:

sorry for pulling a Grandes POV tea and responding in two different posts I really meant to respond to this in the post above and just...forgot to. 

American Life was an interesting case because it wasn't just that it's message fit the theme of the show, it suddenly came back around after a long time of fans asking her to do it. When she did it at the second Tears of a Clown gig, it hadn't been performed since 2004. That whole album holds a very special place in a lot of stans' hearts and the reception she got from playing those songs at the first Tears of a Clown show I think is what initially made her aware that something had changed between 2003 and then in regards to that material. Even recently, publications that gave it poor reviews at the time have since come back and said that their stance has changed on it. The negative reception to that album did bother her, it was pretty clear that she was at best pissed at worst hurt that it was treated the way it was simply because of the politics that it was the product of. So I think seeing how the album is viewed now has made her want to revisit it. Whereas an album like Confessions and Music (the two albums of the collection considered her best that she ignores almost completely) were loved and universally praised from the very beginning, AL is only now being appreciated. I just kinda got the sense that she dove back into AL because she wanted to retroactively prove it's worth and she doesn't have to with a lot of the others. 

Yeah i get that. As i say i understand why stans highly regard American Life, especially considering it's lyrical content and direction, it's part of why i can at least appreciate it. I just can't stand the overall production even the singles sound like unfinished demos. 

18 minutes ago, imahunter said:

beautiful stranger screams show opener

It really doesn’t...

She almost never opens a show with an oldie, let alone an obscure song like Beautiful Stranger.

1 hour ago, Billie Frank said:

I'm not sure if i would call American Life timeless, even by 2003 standards the production was dated. I appreciate what she was trying to do and the vision she had, but it's just an album i'll never like much. Madonna has great ideas and concepts but often works with the wrong producers imo.  

Sir 80% of American Life still sounds fresh to this day except the electroclash songs ala the title track and Nobody Knows Me. The folk/ballad songs have aged well. mad5

3 minutes ago, Villanelle said:

She needs to retire

Vogue

Like a prayer

Like a virgin

Human nature

La isla bonita

Music

CANDY SHOP 

I'm over those songs occupying space, especially fucking candy shop. 

LAP is her best selling single iirc, i doubt it'll be dropped. 

Just now, Billie Frank said:

LAP is her best selling single iirc, i doubt it'll be dropped. 

I don't hate it, I listen to it all the time but she doesn't need it in her sets, drowned world and confessions did fine without it 

retire like a virgin, la isla bonita, vogue, human nature

perform more album tracks form the 80s/90s, i bet she don't even remember the lyrics in most of her 80s/90s album tracks anymore missj1

I honestly can't see a Madonna tour where she doesn't perform LAP, Vogue, LAV or LIB. It's like going to Disney hoping to not see Mickey Mouse: those are the ones that the general public is paying to see live, and I appreciate that she always finds a way to reinvent them.

However, I would love that she gave more love to Confessions, Rebel Heart and Music: these are albums with amazing tracks and she isn't paying them enough attention since, like, their respective releases.

Retire:

- Human Nature

- Papa Don't Preach

- Holiday

- Candy Shop

Include:

- What It Feels Like For A Girl (album version)

- Sorry / Forbidden Love / Hung Up / Jump

- Rebel Heart / Ghosttown

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.