Snow

Bieber facing backlash after showing off new dreadlocks

Ez6s1vRUUAEkly3?format=jpg&name=medium

Justin Bieber brought back his dreadlocks in new pictures, which is also bringing back the cultural appropriation criticism he faced for the hairstyle five years ago.

The famously swoosh-haired singer debuted his new look via Instagram on Sunday and Monday (April 26) with selfies from his tropical vacation. While rapper Lil Gnar, who wears his hair in multi-colored dreads, complimented his look by commenting "Dreads goin up," Bieber's critics lit up the comments section with complaints that he hadn't learned his lesson from the last time he wore his hair like this.

The global pop sensation previously wore dreadlocks in 2016 after releasing his fourth album Purpose. At the time, Bieber responded to the backlash in an Instagram video, jokingly saying, "'Dude you gonna do anything with your hair, or are you just gonna leave it like that, dude?' Yeah, some girl came up to me and she was like, 'I love you, Justin, but like, that's like my least favorite hairstyle of yours.'" He captioned the April 2016 clip "Being weird is fun' if u r not weird I don't like you."

Some fans praised the return of "Dreadstin," but one Instagram user claimed "this is cultural appropriation... I know you can do better," while another wrote, "didnt you say you were educating yourself about black culture so what is this foolery." 

x

Most of the time, I can’t even say the words cultural appropriation without laughing, Because I’ve observed that that the loudest voices usually come from hyperventilating kids without any connection to the culture in question. It does exist, certainly — but in my opinion there’s a difference between using cultural garb as a Halloween costume and whatever this is that he’s done to his hair, 

That being said — dreadlocks are most assuredly not of his culture. 

And all that aside, he cannot pull them off. He might be self conscious about possibly losing his hair, but surely there’s a hair dresser that cools come up with something that looks better. 

I never really got how having dreadlocks is cultural appropriation as white people although uncommon can naturally have that hair texture naturally... under the same logic a black person having straightened hair is also cultural appropriation. I just find it a bit ridiculous, general public opinion on it doesn't seem to come to a defined conclusion either.

I can see why in 2016 when he done it people took issue, but this time round it does seem like woke white twinks on twitter wanted to drag someone for stupid reasons. I've said it before but I hate the way the term cultural appropriation is inaccurately used so frequently. I fail to see how having a certain hair style is cultural appropriation.

I would go on further but I suspect this is a discussion many are not willing to have as many seem to forget this sort of thing doesn't work one way... anyway it looks awful and he needs a shave. 

you know, i heard straight hair can form into dreads if you neglect it long enough... maybe that's what this is. lord knows that man doesn't wash or comb his hair aura1

53 minutes ago, Billie Frank said:

I never really got how having dreadlocks is cultural appropriation as white people although uncommon can naturally have that hair texture naturally... under the same logic a black person having straightened hair is also cultural appropriation. I just find it a bit ridiculous, general public opinion on it doesn't seem to come to a defined conclusion either.

I can see why in 2016 when he done it people took issue, but this time round it does seem like woke white twinks on twitter wanted to drag someone for stupid reasons. I've said it before but I hate the way the term cultural appropriation is inaccurately used so frequently. I fail to see how having a certain hair style is cultural appropriation.

I would go on further but I suspect this is a discussion many are not willing to have as many seem to forget this sort of thing doesn't work one way... anyway it looks awful and he needs a shave. 

bc dreadlocks have a cultural meaning to african-americans and not to white usa-americans. a black person with straight hair is doing cultural assimilation, not cultural appropiation 

Cultural assimilation is the process in which a minority group or culture comes to resemble a society's majority group or assume the values, behaviors and beliefs of another group whether fully or partially. There are different forms of cultural assimilation.

dreadlocks, a hairstyle that is solely associated to black people and black culture(s) nowadays, gets looked down upon and judged in formal settings, meanwhile straight hair is encouraged and seen as professional, tidy, and just better. that's why some black women wear their hair straight, to avoid judgement from the majority group that doesn't understand black hair or black hairstyles and look down upon 'em due to racism/ignorance (also straight hair doesn't belong to any particular group of people, not just white people have straight hair)

3 hours ago, Tomás said:

bc dreadlocks have a cultural meaning to african-americans and not to white usa-americans. a black person with straight hair is doing cultural assimilation, not cultural appropiation 

That's not entirely true. Locks is not a "black" hairstyle.  Celts, Germanics and Vikings just to name a few often had dreadlocks. 

My point is even if you look more broadly (not just at one specific article from a specific website) you generally find the consensus on dreadlocks varies with no clear answer, while it is predominantly seen now in "popular Western culture" as an "African-American" hairstyle it was historically prevalent in many "white" cultures too. You can't preference one culture over another just because one is seen as a minority now, that isn't evolution, that's regression. 

37 minutes ago, Billie Frank said:

That's not entirely true. Locks is not a "black" hairstyle.  Celts, Germanics and Vikings just to name a few often had dreadlocks. 

My point is even if you look more broadly (not just at one specific article from a specific website) you generally find the consensus on dreadlocks varies with no clear answer, while it is predominantly seen now in "popular Western culture" as an "African-American" hairstyle it was historically prevalent in many "white" cultures too. You can't preference one culture over another just because one is seen as a minority now, that isn't evolution, that's regression. 

You know damn well these white artists doing locks, cornows etc aren't doing it to copy no damn vikings and celts, they do it cuz it's closely related to black/hip hop culture which is extremely popular and they wanna get only the benefits out of it rip4cut the bullshit

Lbr, nobody looks good in dreadlocks eve1

The "cultural appropriation" label is so overused these days. As long as you're not mocking the culture, who gives a fuck?

The picture @Snow posted with the cornrows ... well he's standing next to a black woman who doesn't seem offended? It's not like he turned up like this:

Bone Thru The Nose [UJ72311N] : Karnival Costumes

ari4

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Serving a bit 

Most of the time, I can’t even say the words cultural appropriation without laughing, Because I’ve observed that that the loudest voices usually come from hyperventilating kids without any connection

I never really got how having dreadlocks is cultural appropriation as white people although uncommon can naturally have that hair texture naturally... under the same logic a black person having straig

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.