Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Shego

Is Janet Jackson's music remembered?

I tried to think a song by her but i really couldn't, she's like one of the biggest stars of her time but is her music remembered? I don't even think she has classic hits that you've probably listen to them somewhere, but don't know who sings it. missj1 Even Kylie Minogue has a remembered song, what happened with Janet? oprah12

Sis, stop embarassing yourself, anybody (that includes KPOP groups) that has choreography in their music video is inspired by Janet. She WAS the dancer, she's still influencing pop artists today. 

Nobody is influenced by Madonna's "classical" dance from 1000 years ago or her wacky retirement home chacha lesson dancing choreographies or her voice (or lack thereof).

So this is another case of: I grew up listening to Pure pop music, and was not exposed to R&B classics so she's automatically forgotten/unknown?

That's The Way Love Goes also sounds fresher than any Madonna song btw.

Just because YOU don't fuck with Janet or know most of her music doesn't make it forgettable. Janet was an big part of pop music in the late 80s, 90s and early 2000s. This idea that Janet is some forgotten relic of the past or was (as Stan Twitter likes to say) local is absurd. Local acts or forgotten acts don't sell the amount of records Janet has or influenced the number or artists she has. 

9 minutes ago, Cha Eunwoo said:

Nobody is influenced by Madonna's "classical" dance from 1000 years ago or her wacky retirement home chacha lesson dancing choreographies or her voice (or lack thereof).

Why are you like this? gag1

24 minutes ago, Tomás said:

and now somebody redirects the question towards Madonna and y'all pull out the youtube views receipts 

The difference is that i've heard Madonna many times in the radio, in public, her songs getting used in movies/shows etc. missj1

And mentioning Madonna won't answer the OP. missj1 

15 minutes ago, Cha Eunwoo said:

Sis, stop embarassing yourself, anybody (that includes KPOP groups) that has choreography in their music video is inspired by Janet. She WAS the dancer, she's still influencing pop artists today. 

Mentioning Madonna won't answer the OP x2, even tho i doubt you specifically can reply to a BGs thread without mentioning Madonna. missj1

2 minutes ago, Lynk said:

Just because YOU don't fuck with Janet or know most of her music doesn't make it forgettable. Janet was an big part of pop music in the late 80s, 90s and early 2000s. This idea that Janet is some forgotten relic of the past or was (as Stan Twitter likes to say) local is absurd. Local acts or forgotten acts don't sell the amount of records Janet has or influenced the number or artists she has. 

Why are you like this? gag1

I don't fuck with many artists from her time but i know at least one classic song by them. missj1 Or even artists from the 70s. missj1 

3 minutes ago, Shego said:

The difference is that i've heard Madonna many times in the radio, in public, her songs getting used in movies/shows etc. missj1

And mentioning Madonna won't answer the OP. missj1 

Mentioning Madonna won't answer the OP x2, even tho i doubt you specifically can reply to a BGs thread without mentioning Madonna. missj1

The question has been asked and answered a million times already. No, Janet isn't as remembered as other artists from her era. Why? Because she was literally written off and completely banned from radio after the nipple slip and never recovered from it.  That's literally it bey7

Yes and Janet inspired the likes of Britney, Beyonce, Ciara etc. who would go on to inspire the modern generation especially all those k-pop/j-pop acts 

39 minutes ago, Royale said:

So this is another case of: I grew up listening to Pure pop music, and was not exposed to R&B classics so she's automatically forgotten/unknown?

That's The Way Love Goes also sounds fresher than any Madonna song btw.

Its lowkey thinly veiled (accidental?) racism tbh brit10

I wouldn't say her music is unknown by any means. Her discography as a whole is not as familiar as some artists from the same era are, but her big singles have not faded over the years. She has a some enduring classics that have had a life beyond the decade they were released in and you can still hear them today on classic radio, in films, and on TV. Though I would probably say Janet had more of an impact on a style and performance front than she did a musical front. At her peak, her choreography was being emulated by every up and comer in the game and rarely was it done as well as she did it. I'm not the biggest Janet fan by any stretch, but she has contributed some things that really stuck. She's an icon, that's undeniable. Hell the woman even gained name recognition in the rock crowd after Panic! at the Disco released a song that riffs off of Nasty (Miss Jackson). And honestly her classics (What Have You Done For Me Lately, Nasty, Rhythm Nation, and the like) are quite good. 

I also don't believe for a minute that you've never heard What Have You Done for Me Lately or Nasty. Unless you just don't watch movies or TV, there's no way you've not heard at least pieces of them. 

50 minutes ago, Cha Eunwoo said:

All of what I posted above being said, this is also a false statement just as the OP is but we'll get into that another time

I mean, it depends where you go or who you ask. People always claim that Mariah's old music isn't remembered – and I would agree to that to a certain extent just by experience of asking peers if they knew certain songs from the 90s. I do think this pertains to Janet as well, honestly. A lot of people probably can't place or name a song by her. I think people are far less familiar with songs like Rhythm Nation or Control than songs like Like A Prayer or Billie Jean. I would actually say a ton of her #1s from the 80s & 90s aren't really widely replayed currently as often as some other artists hits. I think Nasty is probably the the biggest contender for that.

But it's not like she's not remembered or forgotten. This is the same for other artists. Just because a certain pocket of a new generation don't really know her songs doesn't take away from her legacy.

2 hours ago, Royale said:

Yeah pretty much. I mean, I don't blame them, because I honestly hadn't heard a Janet song growing up either. But the mature thing to do is to give yourself context. I've picked up a ton of Janey songs for my library despite not having heard them during my youth, and I can comprehend that, yeah, I hadn't heard these until I sought them out, but that doesn't meant they don't have longevity or remembered by people. 

yes! she has many remembered classics like Nasty, What Have You Done For Me Lately, Rhythm Nation, If, That's the way love goes, Together Again, Got Till It's Gone, All For You etc.

Also Janet has inspired the likes of Britney, Beyoncé, Aaliyah, Ciara, Shakira, Rihanna, Tinashe, Teyana Taylor, TLC  etc. and also a lot of k-pop/j-pop artists

and btw a lot of artists even sample her music and her influence is still heard today!

On 5/18/2021 at 1:49 AM, Cha Eunwoo said:

Why is there the need to mention Madonna (and to discredit her)? She also, just like Janet, has inspired a lot of artists like Britney, Xtina, P!nk, Rihanna, JLO, Gaga, Katy, Dua Lipa, Spice Girls etc.

They both are the blueprints!

Free upvotes for everyone!

Anyways, Janet's songs are remembered. A lot of them are already mentioned by several members above. I will just say this, you barely could name her "hits" from the Damita Jo album onwards till Unbreakable because, well, there were no actual hits found. Because of the radio ban, yes, she was blacklisted from the radios all across USA. However, people in many parts of the world still played her music. With the exception of the majority of Discipline, I have definitely heard So Excited in radios and TVs in Indonesia. Feedback too!

Janet's songs are not remembered in the general public consciousness and certainly not with the youth of today. Some of her songs are bops but she was always in someone's shadow whether it be madonna or Michael. 

Also dead at some rando users saying she remembered for dancing, that proved the point dead2

Also, Madonna has a song called Vogue, about a dance and embodied the entire genre to this day so, fail, ny12

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.