Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Shego

Is Janet Jackson's music remembered?

Look, I love Janet and I do believe that she's QUITE remembered being part of the Jackson clan. She has some throwback hits but most of them do not have the same cultural relevance as some of her brother's hits or even Madonna's.

HOWEVER, that is partially due to the fact that after Nipplegate, the US tried to erase her from collective memory, similarly to how they tried to erase Madonna (and failed). Janet's career has suffered a lot because she hasn't managed to produce another GREAT album after All for You. She used to have a lot f songs with hit potential on her albums but that really stopped after All for You. Janet was always kind of a singles artists and when her singles stopped being successful, she faded from the GP's memory. The only thing that seemed to stick with people was Nipplegate which is a shame cause she has some great songs in her discography. 

I think, overall she's far more remembered in the US than she is outside of the US. It doesn't help either that she has continuously cancelled her European tour dates and kept focussing on the US. She has completely ignored the WW market.

5 minutes ago, Grams said:

Look, I love Janet and I do believe that she's QUITE remembered being part of the Jackson clan. She has some throwback hits but most of them do not have the same cultural relevance as some of her brother's hits or even Madonna's.

HOWEVER, that is partially due to the fact that after Nipplegate, the US tried to erase her from collective memory, similarly to how they tried to erase Madonna (and failed). Janet's career has suffered a lot because she hasn't managed to produce another GREAT album after All for You. She used to have a lot f songs with hit potential on her albums but that really stopped after All for You. Janet was always kind of a singles artists and when her singles stopped being successful, she faded from the GP's memory. The only thing that seemed to stick with people was Nipplegate which is a shame cause she has some great songs in her discography. 

I think, overall she's far more remembered in the US than she is outside of the US. It doesn't help either that she has continuously cancelled her European tour dates and kept focussing on the US. She has completely ignored the WW market.

There's plenty of songs that could have been hits after All For You if she wasn't blacklisted. All Nite (Don't Stop), So Excited and Feedback come to mind.

13 hours ago, Royale said:

So this is another case of: I grew up listening to Pure pop music, and was not exposed to R&B classics so she's automatically forgotten/unknown?

Empty also sounds fresher than any Madonna song btw.

Fixed it for you besti cry6 

We are not gonna sit here and act like Janet Jackson is some forgotten nobody because apparently white people get to dictate what black music is remembered.

Especially considering how many hits she does have that are remembered like Nasty, What Have You Done For Me Lately, Rhythm Nation, That's The Way Love Goes, Together Again and All For You. All songs that have either done well WW, or have an absolutely massive legacy attached to them.

Especially not the woman who about as equally influential as Madonna or MJ on some of the most massive and remembered artists of the past three decades.

Just say you don't like her and go.

P.S: Let's not start discrediting Madonna either, or using the YT receipts as a drag. Janet has probably the MOST mismanaged Youtube presence out of the 80s legends besides Prince (and that's on his own request until after he died.)

10 hours ago, Urbi said:

Fixed it for you besti cry6 

Your pick is more valid since i just listened to That's the Way Love Goes and its structure screams 90s rnb. ari9

To be honest, she’s boring. Same old outdated choreography, weak vocals (whispering), always looks like she was styled by a forever21 employee. 

she can remain forgotten. We are not missing anything. 

Tbh, no.

Ever since I was a child, I always knew who Janet Jackson was. But sadly, I’ve got to admit that it was because of her brother and not her work.

And I say “sadly” because I think it would have been cool if Janet was bigger in other parts of the world outside of her country. Like South America, where I come from. But the fact that she was an R&B artist was also a curse, since it was a genre that wasn't that popular outside the USA back in the day.

I don't remember hearing any of her songs on the radio, or watching her videos, or... anything. I just knew that she was a singer, but that's it. Hell, the first time I remember hearing a song from her was in the commercial of the VMAs Tribute to Britney Spears (Rhythm Nation), which is crazy because I loved the song immediately.

And yeah, a lot of people mention Madonna here, but that's an unfair comparison. Madonna is... Madonna. Back then, she was competing against MJ and Prince, while Janet got eclipsed by Michael's shadow during her prime and making an style of music that wasn't that big outside of the USA.

7 hours ago, Alvarø said:

Tbh, no.

Ever since I was a child, I always knew who Janet Jackson was. But sadly, I’ve got to admit that it was because of her brother and not her work.

And I say “sadly” because I think it would have been cool if Janet was bigger in other parts of the world outside of her country. Like South America, where I come from. But the fact that she was an R&B artist was also a curse, since it was a genre that wasn't that popular outside the USA back in the day.

I don't remember hearing any of her songs on the radio, or watching her videos, or... anything. I just knew that she was a singer, but that's it. Hell, the first time I remember hearing a song from her was in the commercial of the VMAs Tribute to Britney Spears (Rhythm Nation), which is crazy because I loved the song immediately.

And yeah, a lot of people mention Madonna here, but that's an unfair comparison. Madonna is... Madonna. Back then, she was competing against MJ and Prince, while Janet got eclipsed by Michael's shadow during her prime and making an style of music that wasn't that big outside of the USA.

I can respect this post a lot actually.

You actually keep in mind that the people she was up against were the likes of MJ and Madonna, like... Everyone is overshadowed by these two they're the King and Queen for a damn reason.

But not just that you also don't pretend that R&B/the majority of black music did well outside of the US and even over here tends to get overshadowed by other things.

People really don't like to think about the fact that when MJ's music got blacker (Dangerous) his sales and hits really went down.

Prince, Mariah, Beyoncé and Rihanna all were at their most successful when their music got "whiter" (Purple Rain, Music Box, I Am... Sasha Fierce, Talk That Talk) just to name a few.

It's a similar thing to how Latin artists didn't often do well in the US because of the language barrier up until recently.

People really don't wanna look at the nuance of their arguments.

On 5/18/2021 at 1:52 AM, Villanelle said:

Janet's songs are not remembered in the general public consciousness and certainly not with the youth of today. Some of her songs are bops but she was always in someone's shadow whether it be madonna or Michael. 

Also dead at some rando users saying she remembered for dancing, that proved the point dead2

Also, Madonna has a song called Vogue, about a dance and embodied the entire genre to this day so, fail, ny12

Depends on where you are in the world. jj2 She's a pretty local bitch so I'm not surprised if she's less remembered outside the US than she is in it, but she has a handful of songs that get recurrent airplay on the same stations playing other 80's and 90's legends. 

And Xtina was always in someones shadow but I think you'd agree her screamo is pretty well remembered by the gp. xtina10

On 5/19/2021 at 12:45 AM, Shego said:

Your pick is more valid since i just listened to That's the Way Love Goes and its structure screams 90s rnb. ari9

Empty is that bitch ny8 

On 5/18/2021 at 12:27 PM, Atlantis Princess said:

There's plenty of songs that could have been hits after All For You if she wasn't blacklisted. All Nite (Don't Stop), So Excited and Feedback come to mind.

To be honest Made For Now which is a fairly recent song done far better than anything released by Madonna or Mariah in the past 5 or so years soo. fall9 

Call On Me released in 2006 was quite a good hit for her, although could've been far bigger.

2 minutes ago, Billie Frank said:

To be honest Made For Now which is a fairly recent song done far better than anything released by Madonna or Mariah in the past 5 or so years soo. fall9 

Call On Me released in 2006 was quite a good hit for her, although could've been far bigger.

Because it’s a collab jj2 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.