Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Lynk

Why do stans put so much emphasis on the charts?

Especially the Billboard Hot 100. I get that it's a good feeling seeing an artist have a #1 song or album they really shouldn't matter in long run. Chart positions don't determine an artist's success, the quality of a song/album or the longevity of the artist. There's a reason the term "one hit wonder" exist. Honestly, #1s are nothing but bragging rights that are more valued by stans than the actual artist

It gets tiring yeah.

Like, yes, chart positions do matter but it's not about #1s and shit. It's more about longevity on the charts, and impact outside of that.

Best case of that in recent memory is Lemonade. Not a single top 5 from that album, but absolutely one the most massive and culturally relevant eras of the entire decade.

But stans still wanna say Beyoncé is flopping because she "hasn't had a #1 since 2008" as if being the first woman to have a WHOLE album chart with self-titled (let alone the #2 with Drunk in Love), then doing it again and having a Formation at #10, Sorry at #11 and Hold Up at #13 during the streaming era when the album was ONLY on Tidal at the time isn't impressive af.

And that's not even addressing her touring numbers.

That said there's also definitely cases where charts do show major flops like the "Fall in Line peaks at #1...

On the bubbling under chart."

Or Smile as an entire era.

I never really cared if my faves chart or not.

Charts are just that, charts

Yes, there is an ego boost but what does that have to do with success when the music industry as a whole is a mess and practically diluted with industry plants with zero personality and boring aesthetics and sound?

I just wanted Dua to get the #1 because a Dua fan promised to leak the unreleased first version of Levitating with Madonna singing Lucky Star instead of Missy's rap part if she hits #1.

9 hours ago, Grams said:

I just wanted Dua to get the #1 because a Dua fan promised to leak the unreleased first version of Levitating with Madonna singing Lucky Star instead of Missy's rap part if she hits #1.

Is this Blessed Madonna production or original? 

1 hour ago, Teenage Wet Dream said:

Is this Blessed Madonna production or original? 

Cursed Madonna but the stems might be out there as well. If we get those we could play around with the versions.

57 minutes ago, Grams said:

Cursed Madonna but the stems might be out there as well. If we get those we could play around with the versions.

Imagine including the queen of pop herself on a piece of pure pop bliss and somehow taking the bounce and magic away of the original song. 

Stans want their faves to have success so they put too much meaning in charts. Lots of stan twitter acts like an artist is OVER if their latest single didn't reach #1 and it's annoying. And also chart stats =/= influence, impact, acclaim etc

If you take the logic that chart stats are always a measure of influence and how culturally iconic an artist is, then you would have to believe that acts like The Chainsmokers are more iconic than artists like Bjork, Fiona Apple, or Radiohead brit15

4 minutes ago, Billie Frank said:

Never Really Over peaked nearly as high as the singles from Lemons. 

But that doesn't really count, does it? That was a droplet back when she was saying she didn't intend on releasing an album, that then found it's way onto it.

That would be like saying American Life had a hit because Die Another Day is on it.

Plus that still had a decent bit of promo and no weird streaming licensing situation.

6 minutes ago, Strobo said:

But that doesn't really count, does it? That was a droplet back when she was saying she didn't intend on releasing an album, that then found it's way onto it.

That would be like saying American Life had a hit because Die Another Day is on it.

Plus that still had a decent bit of promo and no weird streaming licensing situation.

That's true, although Die Another Day should be forgotten, not because it's on American Life but because it's one of the worst bond songs. 

41 minutes ago, Billie Frank said:

That's true, although Die Another Day should be forgotten, not because it's on American Life but because it's one of the worst bond songs. 

It really is a horrible Bond song but I still bop to it tbh.

I'll at least give her credit for doing something different! mad5

9 minutes ago, Strobo said:

It really is a horrible Bond song but I still bop to it tbh.

I'll at least give her credit for doing something different! mad5

Different doesn't equate to good. mad5

Gives them ammunition to say their fave is more relevant than x y and z. 

But we all know by now, that these charts are corrupted. Radio blacklists some female artists if they don't give them interview, $$, vip tickets etc. Xtina, Britney, Janet and Taylor are all blacklisted from radio when they stopped giving radio interviews. Artists like Ariana benefits from their manager payola'ing radios.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.