Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Shawn's Slave

Is Mariah a local or global star?

Is Mariah a local or global star?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Mariah is local.

• She is a local
    • She's global!!!
    • I'm a delusional sheep and think mariah is a god and can do no wrong

A thread no one asked for. 

Insert certain Madonna stans and some irrelevant inactive member who only appears once every three months then disappears saying yes. 

Anyway to answer... No. Mariah is one of the best selling artists of all time in the US and the best selling non-native female artist of all time in Japan. The two largest music markets sooo. 

19 minutes ago, Villanelle said:

but do they know her discography is another question... 

They don't. brit10 I doubt they can name one of her 19 cheek implants #1's. ajay1

24 minutes ago, Billie Frank said:

Insert certain Madonna stans and some irrelevant inactive member who only appears once every three months then disappears saying yes. 

Their opnion is more valid than a sheep of Moo's. brit10

No but more global than Taylor for sure

7mBSlhj.gif

29 minutes ago, Billie Frank said:

DRyGaTc.jpg

1 minute ago, Trunks said:

Mariah wishes she had 8 consecutive successful era... so does a certain other fave who is older than time itself. brit10

So many things wrong in a 20 word sentence brit10

Don't mind me, just waiting for this thread to eventually become Madonna vs Mariah lol3

Speaking of which:

Pass through and vote for your fave songs from these two has-beens legends jj2

The fact that you're so pressedt about her career often makes me chuckle. She is a global star and her music is also known globally. She is successful worldwide BUT is she as successful in comparison to Madonna or Celiné globally? No, because it's a different measurement that you need to take into realization. Mariah's career didn't start officially in the 80s like Madonna, and while we can also count Celiné as an actual 80s act along with Madonna and Whitney, her more popular persona "started" in 1990. The same year Mariah debuted.

What did Celiné make since her English debut? Adult Contemporary music. Ballads. Or at least those are the ones that became hits for her. Her follow-up to Unison was even more ballad-heavy, The Colour of My Love. What did Whitney become after I'm Your Baby Tonight's mild success, well, compared to her gigantic sized debut and sophomore releases? That's right, Adult Contemporary music. She covered a Dolly Parton song and made it become a bombastic power ballad.

At the time where power ballads like Whitney's cover of I Will Always You and Celiné's cover of Jennifer Rush's The Power of Love conquered music...well, alongside the grunge of Nirvana anyway, Mariah's music was advised to change to that very form too. Even though she debuted as an R&B singer, already known as a songwriter too with her debut single Vision of Love, she was told by Tommy to just fit in. You know, because why not? Then, she made what would be her biggest LP to date.

Did Mariah have her own Adult Contemporary mega hit? Yes. That's called Without You. It's also a cover of somebody else's song. See the pattern here? She already did a cover of I'll Be There before, admittedly it was an R&B song that fit well with Mariah's original sound, so why not cover another song again? Right?

Mariah was conditioned to enjoy the compartment that she was put in by Columbia Records, again, because why not? Without You then became one of her biggest worldwide hits, perhaps even more popular than her many U.S./local number one hits that she already gained long before becoming a static diva. Then, she released Daydream, and all hell broke loose while the heavens above opened their gates, doors, and windows for what would be Mariah's fate: an R&B songstress.

So what's the point of the lengthy explanation? Well, first, an explanation. Second, a reminder of her global hits even before being thrusted into the batch of Celinés and Whitneys of the world. But Mariah hadn't made Music Box replica in decades. She hadn't made another Hero or even another Fantasy (from Daydream) since then. Her music had become even more hip-hop & R&B since 1997 and she hasn't shown any signs to stop. Not to mention that her label's attempt to remarket her as an Adult Contemporary diva in 2002 via Through the Rain failed, big time, although that song has since gained more popularity among Asian talent shows. Idk about the Europe or Africa.

Meanwhile, her hip-hop track called I Know What You Want, which wasn't even hers to begin with as she just sang the chorus and it's actually a Busta Rhymes' song, gained success both in the U.S. and overseas. Another song that was promoted to somewhat reshape her, yet again, as an Adult Contemporary pop diva was yet another cover! I know, surprising right? It's a cover of Foreigner's I Want to Know What Love Is, but it flopped. Although, despite it being a flop in the U.S., it literally charted in Brazil at number one for 27 weeks and it reached top positions on many international music charts.

So, is she a globally successful recording artist? Yes. Absolutely. Is she on the same height as pure pop artists like Madonna or even Britney Spears, who debuted way after her? No, because contrary to the U.S., the world at large still consumed Pop music more than R&B. There were times where it wasn't, meaning that R&B found its even ground alongside Pop (dance pop or adult contemporary), and We Belong Together became Mariah's comeback hit worldwide. So, yeah.

6 minutes ago, Gwen Stefanee said:

The fact that you're so pressedt about her career often makes me chuckle. She is a global star and her music is also known globally. She is successful worldwide BUT is she as successful in comparison to Madonna or Celiné globally? No, because it's a different measurement that you need to take into realization. Mariah's career didn't start officially in the 80s like Madonna, and while we can also count Celiné as an actual 80s act along with Madonna and Whitney, her more popular persona "started" in 1990. The same year Mariah debuted.

What did Celiné make since her English debut? Adult Contemporary music. Ballads. Or at least those are the ones that became hits for her. Her follow-up to Unison was even more ballad-heavy, The Colour of My Love. What did Whitney become after I'm Your Baby Tonight's mild success, well, compared to her gigantic sized debut and sophomore released? That's right, Adult Contemporary music. She covered a Dolly Parton song and made it become a bombastic power ballad.

At the time where power ballads like Whitney's cover of I Will Always You and Celiné's cover of Jennifer Rush's The Power of Love conquered music...well, alongside the grunge of Nirvana, Mariah's music was advised to change to that very form too. Even though she debuted as an R&B singer, already known as a songwriter too with her debut single Vision of Love, she was told by Tommy to just fit in. You know, because why not? Then, she made what would be her biggest LP to date.

Did Mariah have her own Adult Contemporary mega hit? Yes. That's called Without You. It's also a cover of somebody else's song. See the pattern here? She already did a cover of I'll Be There before, admittedly it was an R&B song that fit well with Mariah's original sound, so why not cover another song again? Right?

Mariah was conditioned to enjoy the compartment that she was put in by Columbia Records, again, because why not? Without You then became one of her biggest worldwide hits, perhaps even more popular than her many U.S./local number one hits that she already gained long before becoming a static diva. Then, she released Daydream, and all hell broke loose while the heavens above opened their gates, doors, and windows for Mariah's fate: an R&B songstress.

So what's the point of the lengthy explanation? Well, first, an explanation. Second, a reminder of her global hits even before being thrusted into the batch of Celinés and Whitneys of the world. But Mariah hasn't made Music Box replica in decades. She hadn't made another Hero or even another Fantasy since then. Her music had become even more hip-hop & R&B since 1997 and she hasn't shown any signs to stop. Not to mention that her label's attempt to remarket her as an Adult Contemporary diva in 2002 via Through the Rain failed, big time, although that song has since gained more popularity among Asian talent shows. Idk about the Europe or Africa.

Meanwhile, her hip-hop track called I Know What You Want, which wasn't even hers to begin with as she just sang the chorus, it's Busta Rhymes' song, gained success both in the U.S. and overseas. Her other song that was promoted to somewhat reshape her as a Adult Contemporary pop diva was a cover! I know, surprising right? It's a cover of Foreigner's I Want to Know What Love Is, but flopped. Despite it being a flop in the U.S., it literally charted in Brazil at number one for 27 weeks and it reached top positions on many international music charts.

So, is she a globally successful recording artist? Yes. Absolutely. Is she on the same height as pure pop artists like Madonna or even Britney Spears, who debuted way after her? No, because contrary to the U.S., the world at large still consumed Pop music more than R&B. There were times where it wasn't, meaning that R&B found its even ground alongside Pop (dance pop or adult contemporary), and We Belong Together became Mariah's comeback hit worldwide. So, yeah.

Sis, this R&B excuse isn't going to cut it, considering R&B and hip-hop were huge all around the world in the 90's and early 00's. brit10 Destiny's Child, Brandy, Monica and Aaliyah just to name a few of successful GLOBAL R&B icons back then.

8 minutes ago, Gwen Stefanee said:

What did Celiné make since her English debut? Adult Contemporary music. Ballads. Or at least those are the ones that became hits for her. Her follow-up to Unison was even more ballad-heavy, The Colour of My Love. What did Whitney become after I'm Your Baby Tonight's mild success, well, compared to her gigantic sized debut and sophomore released? That's right, Adult Contemporary music. She covered a Dolly Parton song and made it become a bombastic power ballad.

At the time where power ballads like Whitney's cover of I Will Always You and Celiné's cover of Jennifer Rush's The Power of Love conquered music...well, alongside the grunge of Nirvana, Mariah's music was advised to change to that very form too. Even though she debuted as an R&B singer, already known as a songwriter too with her debut single Vision of Love, she was told by Tommy to just fit in. You know, because why not? Then, she made what would be her biggest LP to date.

Mariah was conditioned to enjoy the compartment that she was put in by Columbia Records, again, because why not? Without You then became one of her biggest worldwide hits, perhaps even more popular than her many U.S./local number one hits that she already gained long before becoming a static diva. Then, she released Daydream, and all hell broke loose while the heavens above opened their gates, doors, and windows for Mariah's fate: an R&B songstress.

So what's the point of the lengthy explanation? Well, first, an explanation. Second, a reminder of her global hits even before being thrusted into the batch of Celinés and Whitneys of the world. But Mariah hasn't made Music Box replica in decades. She hadn't made another Hero or even another Fantasy since then. Her music had become even more hip-hop & R&B since 1997 and she hasn't shown any signs to stop. Not to mention that her label's attempt to remarket her as an Adult Contemporary diva in 2002 via Through the Rain failed, big time, although that song has since gained more popularity among Asian talent shows. Idk about the Europe or Africa.

Meanwhile, her hip-hop track called I Know What You Want, which wasn't even hers to begin with as she just sang the chorus, it's Busta Rhymes' song, gained success both in the U.S. and overseas. Her other song that was promoted to somewhat reshape her as a Adult Contemporary pop diva was a cover! I know, surprising right? It's a cover of Foreigner's I Want to Know What Love Is, but flopped. Despite it being a flop in the U.S., it literally charted in Brazil at number one for 27 weeks and it reached top positions on many international music charts.

Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_11.33.38_AM.jpg

OT: She was big globally during the Music Box era but anything after that made no noise outside of North America and Japan.

its always funny to me how european TREX stans TRY to make it seem like mariah was some flop in europe, when in fact, shes sold like 30 millions albums dead1 imagine thinking the 3rd best selling female of all time, the best selling international female artist in ASIA (which has like 2/3 of the world's population), and the female with the biggest xmas classic in modern history is local dead1 worms

18 minutes ago, Gilly said:

its always funny to me how european TREX stans TRY to make it seem like mariah was some flop in europe, when in fact, shes sold like 30 millions albums dead1 imagine thinking the 3rd best selling female of all time, the best selling international female artist in ASIA (which has like 2/3 of the world's population), and the female with the biggest xmas classic in modern history is local dead1 worms

We will recognise Mariah's global attempts when the USA recognise Kylie Minogue as a successful artist and a senior in the pop royal family tree

1 hour ago, Trunks said:

They don't. brit10 I doubt they can name one of her 19 cheek implants #1's. ajay1

All I Want For Christmas Is You is literally one of the best known songs of all time lol3  

54 minutes ago, Trunks said:

Sis, this R&B excuse isn't going to cut it, considering R&B and hip-hop were huge all around the world in the 90's and early 00's. brit10 Destiny's Child, Brandy, Monica and Aaliyah just to name a few of successful GLOBAL R&B icons back then.

Hip Hop wasn't even half as big as it was not and tbh, still isn't big outside of the US. How many hip hop songs have charted overseas (particularly in the Western Hemisphere) compared to America? Same for R&B. You mention Aaliyah, Brandy and Monica but those acts really only have one global smash album (Aaliyah, Never Say Never and The Boy Is Mine respectively). They haven't achieved anything remotely close to the success of those albums and even those albums couldn't compete with acts like Britney Spears and Xtina. TLC and Usher are some of the only R&B acts to have a diamond certified album. If R&B and Hip Hop was as big as you say those genres were they'd much more globally successful acts with diamond certified albums. When Mariah started doing R&B and Hip Hop music her sales took a slump compared to Daydream and Music Box. The same thing happened to Whitney Houston with I'm Your Baby Tonight. That album sold around 50% less than Whitney's first two albums. Same with My Love Is Your Love. So @Gwen Stefaneedoes have a point

39 minutes ago, Trunks said:

And yet they still weren't anywhere NEAR the success of Britney or Xtina at the same time.

It literally is the R&B thing and while there have been moments where R&B became a bit more dominant, the world has always been more responsive to typically white music like dance pop or adult contemporary.

Give me one artist who typically makes R&B or other black dominated music who didn't find greater success switching to something more white.

It happened to Whitney.

It happened to Mariah.

It happened to Beyoncé.

There's an obvious trend here.

1 hour ago, Villanelle said:

We will recognise Mariah's global attempts when the USA recognise Kylie Minogue as a successful artist and a senior in the pop royal family tree

Kylie Minogue is not NEARLY as successful in North America as Mariah is in Europe.  dead1 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.