Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Shawn's Slave

Is Mariah a local or global star?

Is Mariah a local or global star?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Mariah is local.

• She is a local
    • She's global!!!
    • I'm a delusional sheep and think mariah is a god and can do no wrong

18 minutes ago, Freaky Prince said:
Australian Albums (ARIA)[98] 15
Canadian Albums (Billboard)[103] 15
Croatian Albums (HDU)[104] 16
Spanish Albums (PROMUSICAE)[119] 19
Portuguese Albums (AFP)[116] 22
Japan Hot Albums (Billboard Japan)[113] 24
Greek Albums (IFPI)[109] 25
Japanese Albums (Oricon)[112] 30
Italian Albums (FIMI)[111] 35
Swiss Albums (Schweizer Hitparade)[120] 35
Belgian Albums (Ultratop Wallonia)[102] 37
Belgian Albums (Ultratop Flanders)[101] 38
Dutch Albums (Album Top 100)[106] 38
New Zealand Albums (RMNZ)[115] 40
UK Albums (OCC)[121] 40
Austrian Albums (Ö3 Austria)[100] 54
Czech Albums (ČNS IFPI)[105] 55
Scottish Albums (OCC)[117] 55
Slovak Albums (ČNS IFPI)[118] 55
Irish Albums (IRMA)[110] 63
German Albums (Offizielle Top 100)[108] 67
French Albums (SNEP)[107] 71
Lithuanian Albums (AGATA)[114] 77

missj1

Which album is this? lmfao2 

22 minutes ago, Gilly said:

? Mariahs most successful album in europe literally eclipses kylies ENTIRE career sales in America dead1 

Longevity wins at the end. Mariah can take her 3 years of European relevance and go. missj1

16 minutes ago, Billie Frank said:

More than half of Kylie's albums failed to even make the top 100 in the US. ari9

Comparing their last works. Disco peaked at #26 in USA which outweights like 2/3 of Caution's European peaks. Disco went top 10 in more countries than any mariah album since E=mc2 or even before that. ari9

7 minutes ago, Freaky Prince said:

Comparing their last works. Disco peaked at #26 in USA which outweights like 2/3 of Caution's European peaks. Disco went top 10 in more countries than any mariah album since E=mc2 or even before that. ari9

Disco was more successful than caution no one is denying that but equally no one was talking about just recent work but rather careers as a whole. 

The point is Mariah isn't local and Kylie has had some success in the US. 

12 minutes ago, Billie Frank said:

Disco was more successful than caution no one is denying that but equally no one was talking about just recent work but rather careers as a whole. 

The point is Mariah isn't local and Kylie has had some success in the US. 

Okay, but the majority of Mariah's albums have also not been particularly successful in Europe or South America. Her main market has always been North America, which proves that she is rather LOCAL.

31 minutes ago, Freaky Prince said:

Longevity wins at the end. Mariah can take her 3 years of European relevance and go. missj1

i said what i said. nicki6 Disco selling 100 more copies in sweeden doesnt take away the FACT that a single mariah album eclipses kylies entire career in America. sorry1 

Me. I Am Mariah...: 127k in the US

Rebel Heart: 238k in the US

Caution: 43k in the US

Madame X: 170k in the US

I think it’s pretty clear to see who the bigger/more remembered artist is. It’s a testament to how Mariah’s success is all smoke and mirrors. If she really was as big as the lamb chops make her out to be, she'd be pulling much better numbers.

11 minutes ago, Grams said:

Okay, but the majority of Mariah's albums have also not been particularly successful in Europe or South America. Her main market has always been North America, which proves that she is rather LOCAL.

what part of “shes the most successful international female in ASIA” is not clicking? 

1 minute ago, Gilly said:

what part of “shes the most successful international female in ASIA” is not clicking? 

And that is why? Because China still censors most international female artists to this very day. Mariah’s music is boring and conventional enough for the Chinese regime to allow her be played there. dead2 

This is not impressive, it’s embarrassing.

11 minutes ago, Grams said:

And that is why? Because China still censors most international female artists to this very day. Mariah’s music is boring and conventional enough for the Chinese regime to allow her be played there. dead2 

???? imagine going through all those mental gymnastics to try and discredit and invalidate her success in Asia (China isnt ASIA, its a part of it - shes sold 20 million albums in Japan alone)  dead1

19 minutes ago, Grams said:

It doesn't though. Local implies she's only successful in North America and never had any sales outside it which is simply not true.

I know it's hard for you to comprehend but this is what "Local" looks like.

List of singles, with selected chart positions and certifications, showing year released and album name
Single Year Peak chart positions Certifications Album
UK
[7]
AUS
[29]
BEL (FL)
[30]
FRA
[31]
GER
[32]
IRE
[8]
NLD
[33][9]
NZ
[34]
SCO
[35]
SWE
[36]
SWI
[37]
"Sound of the Underground" 2002 1 31 13 55 42 1 9 1 39 25 Sound of the Underground
"No Good Advice" 2003 2 88 45 2 26 2  
"Life Got Cold" 3 64 2 2  
"Jump" 2 23 6 2 8 13 2 9 58
"The Show" 2004 2 67 5 1   What Will the Neighbours Say?
"Love Machine" 2 9 52 2
"I'll Stand by You" 1 3 85 1
"Wake Me Up" 2005 4 6 4  
"Long Hot Summer" 7 16 13   Chemistry
"Biology" 4 26 7 3
"See the Day" 9 14 8  
"Whole Lotta History" 2006 6 18 2  
"Something Kinda Ooooh" 3 7 2 The Sound of Girls Aloud
"I Think We're Alone Now" 4 11 3  
"Walk This Way"
(with Sugababes)
2007 1 14 1   non-album single
"Sexy! No No No..." 5 11 3   Tangled Up
"Call the Shots" 3 9 4
"Can't Speak French" 2008 9 12 3
"The Promise" 1 2 3 Out of Control
"The Loving Kind" 2009 10 16 2  
"Untouchable" 11 19 2  
"Something New" 2012 2 4 2 Ten
"Beautiful 'Cause You Love Me" 97 80 75  
"—" denotes singles that did not chart or were not released

Promotional singles

Single Year Peak chart positions Album
UK
[7]
"Theme to St. Trinian's" 2008 51 St Trinian's

5 minutes ago, Grams said:

She's the best selling international female artist in Japan, the worlds second largest music market and not in North America... 

Anyway i doubt Mariah is too worried given she's one of the best selling artists of all time in the two largest music markets and has sold tens of millions in Europe.

41 minutes ago, Gilly said:

i said what i said. nicki6 Disco selling 100 more copies in sweeden doesnt take away the FACT that a single mariah album eclipses kylies entire career in America. sorry1 

This narrative of picking a random European country and being like 'congrats on charting in Luxemburg' is so lame sorry1 We can always talk about major markets like UK, France, Germany and Spain sorry1

No Mariah song thats not an Xmas carol is remembered in Europe, so they are pretty equal rather than Mariah eclipsing Kylie sorry1

28 minutes ago, Freaky Prince said:

This narrative of picking a random European country and being like 'congrats on charting in Luxemburg' is so lame sorry1 We can always talk about major markets like UK, France, Germany and Spain sorry1

No Mariah song thats not an Xmas carol is remembered in Europe, so they are pretty equal rather than Mariah eclipsing Kylie sorry1

and??? my point - kylie is not nearly as big in america as mariah is in europe - still stands??? nothing you said changes the fact that mariah has had MULTIPLE mega successful albums in europe (has sold 30million albums and tens of HITS), while kylie’s biggest album in america barely scrapped platinum at the height of sales dead1 other than that and like 2 hits, shes a certified FLOP. You cant compare pooh sorry1 

Kylie and Mariah are both pretty local, but at least Kylie still hits the top 10 in her main album market(s) eve1 Kylie even has multiple Christmas albums, yet people still turn up and buy her new stuff eve1 Portion can't relate

I gotta ask the delusional Madonna stans in here something.

Since when was Madonna considered the litmus test for if someone is globally successful/recognized or not?

Since when was the most successful woman in music considered an average?

Nearly everyone looks unimpressive next to her I really don't get it?

And be completely honest with yourself too. Like @LÉON said, most people just don't care that much about music. Even some so called music fans would only know the shit that has popped into the radio, and not much else.

Do y'all really think the average person on the street (especially ones around our age?) would be able to tell you a Madonna song just like that? Hung Up or 4 Minutes maybe because they're more recent hits but even then that was over a decade ago and there's no guarantee they would connect it to her.

And with Mariah? We Belong Together or AIWFC maybe? Same for her, even if AIWFC is successful every year chances are they just think of the song, not the artist.

Stop acting like the world is stan Twitter.

10 hours ago, Grams said:

Her international single stats say otherwise. Also the receipts that most of her hits were heavily aurplay (payola) based, whereas artists like Janet, Whitney, Madonna and MJ sold physical singles.

That's because you're comparing them to Madonna's, as you do with anything, who is the or one of the most global female artist(s) of all time. dead1 

22 hours ago, Villanelle said:

Is she a global star? Absolutely 

Is she a globally successful recording artist? No

Most people know who she is, but do they know her discography is another question... 

I was coming here to say basically this. I would put her in the same boat as Janet globally. Is her name well known? Yes, undoubtedly, and everywhere. Is her music as celebrated? It's spotty. 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.