Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Shawn's Slave

Is Mariah a local or global star?

Is Mariah a local or global star?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Mariah is local.

• She is a local
    • She's global!!!
    • I'm a delusional sheep and think mariah is a god and can do no wrong

9 minutes ago, Urbi said:

As much as I love you and as much as I hate to say it ... IASF was a smash jj3 

That's what I was saying! IASF smashed because she appealed to yts

3 hours ago, Grams said:

Me. I Am Mariah...: 127k in the US

Rebel Heart: 238k in the US

Caution: 43k in the US

Madame X: 170k in the US

I think it’s pretty clear to see who the bigger/more remembered artist is. It’s a testament to how Mariah’s success is all smoke and mirrors. If she really was as big as the lamb chops make her out to be, she'd be pulling much better numbers.

But like.... this is NOT the point of the whole discussion dead1 

3 minutes ago, Strobo said:

That's what I was saying! IASF smashed because she appealed to yts

Sorry, I misread that. We’re good, bestie bey10 

2 minutes ago, Urbi said:

But like.... this is NOT the point of the whole discussion dead1 

He always finds the way to discredit the female artists he has a grudge against. He can't help himself, it's an obsession. dead1

1 hour ago, Strobo said:

I gotta ask the delusional Madonna stans in here something.

Since when was Madonna considered the litmus test for if someone is globally successful/recognized or not?

Since when was the most successful woman in music considered an average?

Nearly everyone looks unimpressive next to her I really don't get it?

And be completely honest with yourself too. Like @LÉON said, most people just don't care that much about music. Even some so called music fans would only know the shit that has popped into the radio, and not much else.

Do y'all really think the average person on the street (especially ones around our age?) would be able to tell you a Madonna song just like that? Hung Up or 4 Minutes maybe because they're more recent hits but even then that was over a decade ago and there's no guarantee they would connect it to her.

And with Mariah? We Belong Together or AIWFC maybe? Same for her, even if AIWFC is successful every year chances are they just think of the song, not the artist.

Stop acting like the world is stan Twitter.

On top of that: comparing Madonna’s chart success to Mariah’s when they record completely different music. Apples to oranges, honestly dead1 

1 hour ago, Strobo said:

I gotta ask the delusional Madonna stans in here something.

Since when was Madonna considered the litmus test for if someone is globally successful/recognized or not?

Since when was the most successful woman in music considered an average?

Nearly everyone looks unimpressive next to her I really don't get it?

And be completely honest with yourself too. Like @LÉON said, most people just don't care that much about music. Even some so called music fans would only know the shit that has popped into the radio, and not much else.

Do y'all really think the average person on the street (especially ones around our age?) would be able to tell you a Madonna song just like that? Hung Up or 4 Minutes maybe because they're more recent hits but even then that was over a decade ago and there's no guarantee they would connect it to her.

And with Mariah? We Belong Together or AIWFC maybe? Same for her, even if AIWFC is successful every year chances are they just think of the song, not the artist.

Stop acting like the world is stan Twitter.

I mean, Madonna is the most successful female music artist ever, so I get why she is, as you put it, the "litmus test". However, her success is so huge, and over such a long period of time, that she is used to basically call everyone else a flop, regardless of how well they're doing in their lane.

If I had endless time and finances, I'd kind of like to go out on the street and do some market research. You know, ambushing unsuspecting public as they waddle out of Primark - "Lady, name me a Madonna song NOW!" etc.

I bet there'd be tonnes of hilarious answers, including (probably) a few dipshits who will say "AIWFCIY" dead4

Most people are oblivious about most things. Ask anyone about politics, for example. If people don't give a shit about who is running their country, then they certainly will give 0 fucks about how many global #1 hits Moo has dead4

18 minutes ago, LÉON said:

I mean, Madonna is the most successful female music artist ever, so I get why she is, as you put it, the "litmus test". However, her success is so huge, and over such a long period of time, that she is used to basically call everyone else a flop, regardless of how well they're doing in their lane.

If I had endless time and finances, I'd kind of like to go out on the street and do some market research. You know, ambushing unsuspecting public as they waddle out of Primark - "Lady, name me a Madonna song NOW!" etc.

I bet there'd be tonnes of hilarious answers, including (probably) a few dipshits who will say "AIWFCIY" dead4

Most people are oblivious about most things. Ask anyone about politics, for example. If people don't give a shit about who is running their country, then they certainly will give 0 fucks about how many global #1 hits Moo has dead4

Excellent post tbh, I appreciate the balanced outlook.

Also the idea of someone calling AIWFC a Madonna song is SENDING me especially when people forget she did a Santa Baby cover (which I heard a lot during the holidays working retaildead2)

40 minutes ago, Strobo said:

Excellent post tbh, I appreciate the balanced outlook.

Also the idea of someone calling AIWFC a Madonna song is SENDING me especially when people forget she did a Santa Baby cover (which I heard a lot during the holidays working retaildead2)

Thanks ari9 I usually just go in on Moo but that's getting older than her last new hit..

I bet a lot of the one-hit wonders get elevated to superstar status by disinterested parents who hear Carly Rae Jepsen on the radio a few times when dropping their sex nuggets off at school, and simply think it's a Kylie song they've never heard before.

And I had no idea Madonna sang a version of that, but now that you've mentioned it, it feels familiar cheryl1

On 5/27/2021 at 11:13 PM, Strobo said:

Santa Baby has never been a single. It was a song for a charity album. eve1 

On 5/26/2021 at 7:45 PM, Trunks said:

Rihanna brit10 Drake brit10 Jay Z brit10

umm Rihanna is pop bb 💀 being black doesn't make you r&b or hip-hop....

OT- I'd say semi-global. She was huge in the U.S and Asia, but slacked in most places. But her U.S sales were huuuuge. It's similar to Taylor. She can be considered "local", but her U.S sales are bigger then most girls WW sales. 

3 hours ago, zack said:

umm Rihanna is pop bb 💀 being black doesn't make you r&b or hip-hop....

OT- I'd say semi-global. She was huge in the U.S and Asia, but slacked in most places. But her U.S sales were huuuuge. It's similar to Taylor. She can be considered "local", but her U.S sales are bigger then most girls WW sales. 

Rihanna's first two albums were RnB and Barbados or island influenced. lj1 AntiQue is not pure pop either, stop these lies. Songs like Work, What's my name and wild thoughts are definitely not pop-py. 

Her pop songs are the ones with Calvin Hairless lj1

And taylor is not local, wtf? She went #1 in china, australia, japan and UK and all over europe. I--

Taylor was selling out stadiums all over the world at her peak.

Mariah, on the other hand, was struggling to sell out theatres at her peak. dead2dead2dead2dead2dead2dead2

2 minutes ago, Trunks said:

Rihanna's first two albums were RnB and Barbados or island influenced. lj1 AntiQue is not pure pop either, stop these lies. Songs like Work, What's my name and wild thoughts are definitely pop-py. 

Her pop songs are the ones with Calvin Hairless lj1

And taylor is not local, wtf? She went #1 in china, australia, japan and UK and all over europe. I--

She was born and raised in Barbados with reggae music not R&B. Her first album was reggae not r&b. Pon De Replay is a reggae/pop song. Her second album is also reggae pop. SOS and Unfaithful are straight up pop songs sis. ANTI is her only "urban" album, and we all know how local that was. Genre always has to do with a song or album being local. Pop music is the most global. R&B and Hip Hop tend to be local. 

11 minutes ago, zack said:

She was born and raised in Barbados with reggae music not R&B. Her first album was reggae not r&b. Pon De Replay is a reggae/pop song. Her second album is also reggae pop. SOS and Unfaithful are straight up pop songs sis. ANTI is her only "urban" album, and we all know how local that was. Genre always has to do with a song or album being local. Pop music is the most global. R&B and Hip Hop tend to be local. 

I love how people selectively ignore good points like "What's my name", "Wild Thoughts" or "Work" being worldwide hits just to make everything fit their narrative. lol2

40 minutes ago, Trunks said:

I love how people selectively ignore good points like "What's my name" or "Work" being worldwide hits just to make everything fit their narrative. lol2

Well What's my name wasn't really a global song. It only reached the top 10 in a few countries. Work did well because of Hotline Bling hype and that's not even a r&b song, it's a dancehall pop song. Needed me was electro-r&b and LOTB was doo-wop inspired song. Those 2 didn't do well outside the U.S. 

52 minutes ago, Trunks said:

Mariah, on the other hand, was struggling to sell out theatres at her peak. dead2dead2dead2dead2dead2dead2

Where did you get this narrative? Is that why Mariah's arrival in Japan back in her peak which was the Daydream tour was deemed as Mariah-mania? Quick search via Google would show you that her concerts attendees records had many sold out dates in many countries of the world during her peak, even stretched out to the Adventures of Mimi tour.

36 minutes ago, Gwen Stefanee said:

Where did you get this narrative? Is that why Mariah's arrival in Japan back in her peak which was the Daydream tour was deemed as Mariah-mania? Quick search via Google would show you that her concerts attendees records had many sold out dates in many countries of the world during her peak, even stretched out to the Adventures of Mimi tour.

https://www.naughtygossip.com/help/mariah-carey-vegas-disaster-how-many-unsold-tickets

gag1gag1gag1gag1gag1

36 minutes ago, Trunks said:

That is weird. I thought you said this:

2 hours ago, Trunks said:

Mariah, on the other hand, was struggling to sell out theatres at her peakdead2dead2dead2dead2dead2dead2

Not her Vegas residency shows. I want to say something possibly offensive, but I don't want to get another WP so yeah.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.