Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Snow

Cancer-killing ‘Trojan Horse’ drug successfully tested

Someone looking at a slide on a microscope

Researchers have successfully tested a “Trojan Horse” drug which can kill cancer and bacterial cells without damaging nearby healthy tissue.

Scientists at the University of Edinburgh combined the tiny cancer-killing molecule SeNBD with a chemical food compound to trick malignant cells into ingesting it. The peer-reviewed experimental study was carried out on zebrafish and human cells, but researchers say more studies are needed to confirm if it is a safe and swift method of treating early stage cancer and drug-resistant bacteria.

Cancerous cells are “greedy” and need to consume high amounts of food for energy and they typically ingest more than healthy cells, said the University of Edinburgh. By coupling SeNBD with a chemical food compound it becomes the “ideal prey for harmful cells” which ingest it “without being alerted to its toxic nature”.

SeNBD is also a light-activated photosensitiser, meaning it kills cells only after it is turned on by visible light. This means a surgeon can precisely decide when they want to activate the drug, reducing the chances of it destroying healthy tissues and avoiding side-effects like hair loss caused by other anti-cancer agents, said the university.

Lead researcher Professor Marc Vendrell, chair of translational chemistry and Biomedical Imaging at the University of Edinburgh, said: “This research represents an important advance in the design of new therapies that can be simply activated by light irradiation, which is generally very safe.”

x

This is the type of things I learned about in school way back in 2008... it's finally coming to fruition. Although back then I also learned about dna manipulation, viral genes, and bacteriophages that can possibly be used to kill cancerous cells.

5 minutes ago, Trunks said:

This is the type of things I learned about in school way back in 2008... it's finally coming to fruition. Although back then I also learned about dna manipulation, viral genes, and bacteriophages that can possibly be used to kill cancerous cells.

You studied this in school? Oh wow dead2 what's your degree? Biology? 

3 minutes ago, Snow said:

You studied this in school? Oh wow dead2 what's your degree? Biology? 

Yes jj2 To be more specific Microbiology and Immunology.

It didn't help me find a job though dead4 so let's just say the knowledge was really for nothing lol2 ari9

Having a degree helped in the sense that people are more willing to hire you though, even if the field is completely unrelated dead4

1 hour ago, Trunks said:

Scotland saving the world and inventing things yet again. true1

1 minute ago, Trunks said:

I didn't know Scootland made Pfizer and covid vaccines lol2

Well we can't invent everything, but for a country with a population lower than London we do invent shitloads of stuff. lol2

14 minutes ago, Trunks said:

Yes, unnecessary stuff like Lochness Monster, Susan Boyle and fried oreos. tina1

We also invented the television, telephone, penicillin, MRI scanner, contact lenses, ATM machine, colour photographs, fingerprinting, steam engine, toaster, flushing toilet, refrigerators, radar, pneumatic tyres... And many other things, so thank us later. true1

2 minutes ago, Billie Frank said:

We also invented the television, telephone, penicillin, MRI scanner, contact lenses, ATM machine, colour photographs, fingerprinting, steam engine, toaster, flushing toilet, refrigerators, radar, pneumatic tyres... And many other things, so thank us later. true1

Not scots inventing TV and phone, but the best ones come from Japan, Korea and USA. dead4

2 hours ago, Trunks said:

Not scots inventing TV and phone, but the best ones come from Japan, Korea and USA. dead4

I don't know what US brand you think makes good TVs but I can promise you...no, US TV brands are not the move. 

4 hours ago, Trunks said:

Yes, unnecessary stuff like Lochness Monster, Susan Boyle and fried oreos. tina1

Okay but Susan Boyle is necessary. tina1

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.