Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Wonder

Songs You Think Have Really Unique Production

What are some songs that to you feature really unique production work? Most artists at one point or another will decide to experiment a little bit and do some interesting, off the beaten path stuff with a song or two and sometimes that experimentation pulls off some really incredible work. I'm interested to hear some of your picks and have a listen for myself. 

My own pick would be A Day in the Life by The Beatles. They gathered a huge orchestra who were under the impression that they were going to do some big, lush arrangement for The Beatles. When they got there, John Lennon told them to all play a scale of their choice at the speed of their choice and they recorded the random cacophany of sound that you hear from 1:43-2:15 and then again from 3:50-4:19. These sounds separate two distinct "movements" of the song, two light and more mid paced sections in the beginning and end and an upbeat poppy section in the middle. It was the first piece of non-classical music to do drastically different movements within one song, pre-dating Bohemian Rhapsody by almost 7 years. It all culminates in the single longest recorded piano chord strike in history, the reverberation of the sound lasting for over a minute (beginning at 4:21). They achieved this by placing a microphone inside the piano to pick up the lingering vibration of sound. Genuinely one of my favorite songs of all time. Listen with headphones to hear their experimentation with John's voice "flying" from one ear to the other in the bridge from 2:48 to 3:00. 

Basically anything produced by Xenomania for a UK Girl Group in the 00s. 

Biology for example completely ditches the pop song norm of "verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus". I'm not even sure what it's chorus is as the whole song is basically multiple choruses/bridges in one song.

It's a shame Girls Aloud and Xenomania never tried breaking through in the US as much of their music was really innovative and pushing what pop music could be, Girl Groups these days just don't produce music anywhere near as edgy.

Something Kinda Ooooh and Sound Of The Underground are two more great examples.

Round Round by the Sugababes is another Xenomania production noted for it's innovative boundary pushing edginess.

*Had to include live/unofficial versions as many Girls Aloud / Sugababes videos are blocked in certain countries. 

Biology by Girls Aloud was my first thought too, such a masterpiece giveup4

Toxic too, not many pop songs use two samples from an old Bollywood movie pieced together as one to create the hook, genius and innovative true1

These two songs are fucking amazing!!!! They're production is not from this world!!!

Aura leaves me speechless all the time. First it starts with mariachi and then dives straight into hardcore techno! It's lyrics have so much impact! It is definitely not your normal pop song!! giveup4 giveup4 giveup3 giveup3

Swine, I can't even. BEAUTIFUL!! When I first heard this song, I fell in love with it, and it's had a special place in my heart to this day! The production is amazing! Some say it's messy, but that's because they don't understand what this song is about. Swine talks about rape and it calls out the people who were bitches to Gaga and who disgusted her while also celebrating the inner swine in her and everyone! Such impactful lyrics!! Definitely not meant for 2013!!! giveup3giveup3giveup4giveup4

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.