Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Shego

Fox News sexist debate about American Life (2003)

this is the first time i watch this and oh my jj4 the comments about her success in 2:16 and 3:17. the host trying to make the other guy be mean to her too in 3:29. the comparison with man singers  and the sexism in 3:42. the whole video is filled with sexism and toxicity, and people say she had it easy... jj4

The funny part is that their predictions were wrong and american life sold 5m and went #1, few months later she kissed britney and she was everywhere + 2 years later she released COADF and was everywhere again, i bet the host was PRESSED with her staying power kii1

1 hour ago, Starboy said:

I didn’t find any part of it that was sexist? He was just against the video and the message it had.

Also he is wasn’t wrong on a lot of what he said…

You're not really going to defend Bill O'Riley are you?

There is indeed sexism steeped in this, though it is not as blatant as much of what was thrown her direction when this was happening (and certainly it's more subtle for Bill, he is usually pretty up front with his sexism). His comparison of her situation to Michael Jackson's and R. Kelly's was the kicker here. He decided that this was going to be a career ender for her because of her (very correct) criticism of her country's actions and lambasted her work and career as a whole. Meanwhile, while he flirted with decrying the actions of R. Kelly and did decry the supposed actions of Michael, he never once mocked their music or their careers. The only woman in the conversation is the person who had her work, present and past, brought into question whereas the men were complimented for their continued artistic success. Certainly he didn't like the video's message (which of course he didn't, he's a right wing Bush apologist who hates Muslims and championed a war built on lies) but that doesn't distract from the fact that his criticism was delivered in a way that coupled her message with this one video with her entire career when he had no problem making a distinction between the men's actions (which were actual crimes) and their careers. 

3 hours ago, Mr. Mendes said:

You're not really going to defend Bill O'Riley are you?

There is indeed sexism steeped in this, though it is not as blatant as much of what was thrown her direction when this was happening (and certainly it's more subtle for Bill, he is usually pretty up front with his sexism). His comparison of her situation to Michael Jackson's and R. Kelly's was the kicker here. He decided that this was going to be a career ender for her because of her (very correct) criticism of her country's actions and lambasted her work and career as a whole. Meanwhile, while he flirted with decrying the actions of R. Kelly and did decry the supposed actions of Michael, he never once mocked their music or their careers. The only woman in the conversation is the person who had her work, present and past, brought into question whereas the men were complimented for their continued artistic success. Certainly he didn't like the video's message (which of course he didn't, he's a right wing Bush apologist who hates Muslims and championed a war built on lies) but that doesn't distract from the fact that his criticism was delivered in a way that coupled her message with this one video with her entire career when he had no problem making a distinction between the men's actions (which were actual crimes) and their careers. 

No, Bill O'Riley sucks but he wasn't wrong about her career trajectory and some other criticisms about her. I think if someone else said it people wouldn't really be mad about what was said.

Yeah but that's because he was politically against the message she was portraying. Obviously conservatives will get triggered by someone making protest songs against causes they support, he just responded appropriately to that. He has an audience he has to please and ratings he has to maintain. Criticizing popular culture for their "liberal views" is what sells on Fox News so I didn't really see that as being sexist. If that were a man, I'm sure he'd have the same response. Just because he has a history of being sexist doesn't mean that he's sexist in every instance when discussing or criticizing a woman.

It also wasn't about them, it was a segment about Madonna. He was just showing his outrage with her and attempting to shit on her career because of that. Once again, I see nothing sexist about that. He's allowed to dislike one artist more than others and he's allowed to unabashedly criticize a woman that is against his beliefs, whether you agree with him or not.

12 hours ago, Starboy said:

I didn’t find any part of it that was sexist? He was just against the video and the message it had.

Also he is wasn’t wrong on a lot of what he said…

the comparison with r kelly and mj. him wondering why a 44 years old woman has success while he lowkey implied that mj (who was at the same age as her) having success is more justified. randomly mentioning that she's reaching mj's level, like she's not allowed to cause she dared to express her opinion with her music. eve1

On 6/9/2021 at 6:26 PM, TRENCH said:

there is a quote I know that applies very well 

"The biggest haters are low key the biggest fans" 

-me eve1

I'd say it's high key cos they spend all their attention for her on hate. 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.