Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Atlantis Princess

Do you think music is too explicit nowadays?

So, I'm not a prude or anything. I actually enjoy swearing on songs where its needed and adds to the effect and storytelling of the song.

But I feel like nowadays songs have such simplistic and in your face lyrics that don't hide anything. I think it is lazy songwriting because instead of finding a round about way of expressing something explicit, they just tell it like it is. 

I don't mind it in rap songs or pop songs having an ocassional f bomb....but songs with pretty instrumentals like Kiss Me More don't need random swears like "pussy", "fucking", the n word, "dick" while the rest of the song is fairly innocent. And this is the case with other songs that are supposed to be "ethereal". Swearing just takes me out of it.

Like what happened to having an explicit version bebe1

I don’t care - if parents don’t want their kids to listen to it, they shouldn’t let them. I personally don’t mind it, except if it’s hateful slurs.

I actually thought about this the other day and I'm inclined to agree, and not even for the sake of kids or anything, it's just a bit too much sometimes. true1 

Yes and no. 

On the one hand i would agree that it can be a bit too much at times, i feel like songs can often be ruined when there's swearing or slurs on nearly every line. But on the other hand i take the view that if you don't like a song then you just don't listen to it. 

I don't mind it if the explicit elements don't feel forced into it. If it's clear they're saying fuck just to say it, it doesn't do much for me (it's not a deal breaker but a little bit cringe), but if it works I don't care. Either way, I'm not gonna not enjoy a song for that reason. Say what you want, unless it's hate speech it doesn't hurt anyone. 

38 minutes ago, LeaHeartBroken said:

I agree. On songs like 34+35 it feels really forced.

34+35 is understandable since it's a song about literally having mindblowing sex. But songs like Kiss Me More where the song is literally about kissing then they go into pussy, fucking, dick...like wow that escalated quickly.

Imagine God is a Woman, also a song about sex but in a metaphoric manner, dropping some explicit lyrics in the middle....it wouldn't feel the same.

if the swearing feels forced or in the song just to say it for no reason, then its a no for me.

but songs like what CupcakKe makes, i welcome them wholeheartedly sass1 

Honestly, yeah. It’s like we’re slowly getting more comfortable with raunchy and explicit songs. There doesn’t seem to be much shock when people hear lyrics from a song that wouldn’t have even reached the radio a couple years ago.

I’m not a prude either but I think it’s just a simple fact.

Not really. It has always been done, but it isn't common for such songs to become hits. 

I personally don't mind an insult in a song, but only if it adds something to a song.

I hate explicit lyrics about sex. jj3  Good metaphors = good songwriters. 

9 hours ago, Snow said:

Censored version of WAP.. 3 minutes of silence fall8

A friend of mine told me that he was in his friend's car and turned up to someone's house while WAP was blasting, and he was so embarrassed.

I hadn't heard it, so I asked him why? wat3

He said, "gorl look up the lyrics" wat2 (or words to that effect)

So I did

And dear God I clutched my pearls so hard I recreated the Oh Father video fall9 fall9 fall9

7 hours ago, Atlantis Princess said:

But songs like Kiss Me More where the song is literally about kissing then they go into pussy, fucking, dick...like wow that escalated quickly.

Well, kissing isn't just for mouths missj1

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.