Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

SeekingThrill

The Most Pretentious Albums?

13 minutes ago, Strobo said:

Honestly Artpop was more pretentious than Born This Way, which at least tried to feel like an inclusive party.

its actually kinda surprising to see them list BTW instead of ARTPOP fall5 

1 hour ago, Chris Morlock said:

its actually kinda surprising to see them list BTW instead of ARTPOP fall5 

This article was posted before ARTPOP was even announced. 

40 minutes ago, Urbi said:

From FOTP faves? I’d say Madame X if we talk about recent albums.

I enjoy the album but Madame X is probably the most pretentious album ever released from one of the faves mad5

20 hours ago, Trunks said:

Fartflop and Cheek2Ass.

Plsss ARTPOP is a misunderstood classic. 😭

Not Pretentious AT ALL.

if any album it's pretentious it's definitely Witness lol. Katy described it as 'purposeful pop' and 'liberation' with songs talking about feminism and empowerment when it's actually generic pop.

i-ny6

9 hours ago, Lynk said:

I love how just became a "Fuck Gaga" thread lol3

What part of Cheek2Cheek is pretentious?

Her trying to be jazz vocalist when she doesn't have the versatility for it. lj1

6 hours ago, Mario said:

Plsss ARTPOP is a misunderstood classic. 😭

Not Pretentious AT ALL.

if any album it's pretentious it's definitely Witness lol. Katy described it as 'purposeful pop' and 'liberation' with songs talking about feminism and empowerment when it's actually generic pop.

i-ny6

Girl, everything about that era is pretentious, including this interview:

gaga4

On 6/11/2021 at 10:58 AM, Lynk said:

What part of Cheek2Cheek is pretentious?

The concept itself. It’s been this thing in the music industry for decades where an artist who is decidedly not a traditional singer (and by traditional I mean an artist who made their fame in the classic, great american songbook style) to make a covers album utilizing the classic style. It almost always happens after a decline in commercial appeal in their regular genre, it almost always consists of the same batch of songs (Anything Goes, It Don’t Mean a Thing, Bang Bang, etc.), and it’s always presented with this hyper serious, grounded, vintage aesthetic. It just comes across as a loud declaration of “I don’t NEED to make mainstream pop, I’d be fine without it, I just do it because I want to but this is the person I really am” even if that isn’t true. It’s nothing specific to Gaga though, she’s far from the first to do this and will not be the last. It was just especially eye roll inducing because she did it with Tony Bennet. There’s nothing wrong with Tony, him being there just made it much harder to take Lady Gaga doing this seriously. 

NFR! wasn't all that pretentious to start with (by Lanadderall Rey standards), but pretentious music critics who ragged on her when she wasn't making Music To Grow Beards To made it feel like a pretentious era.

Thanks to them, dull fauxlk music seems to be her new aesthetic jj4

8 minutes ago, SeekingThrill said:

Because of one song? eve1 

That one song contributes a lot, but it's more or less the way she expresses her political viewpoints throughout the albumfrom someone of her standing.

It's all well meaning and that's why I don't mind it, but it's definitely the most pretentious album by one of the faves in that regard.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.