Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Strobo

Does Gaga have it in her?

Gaga had her big comeback last year with Chromatica, all while spending the previous 5 years of her career redirecting it and reminding people of her many talents that weren't apparent on first glance.

She made a HUGE impact on the scene with The Fame and The Fame Monster, and many people agree she's the last of the era of HUGE ubiquitous, often unapproachable pop stars. An era before social media really dominated success.

...so how come Chromatica really felt like something just for her fans, instead of a grand comeback like Confessions on a Dance Floor or The Emancipation of Mimi. Rain on Me and even Stupid Love were successful, yes. And she's definitely doing better than another certain pop artist who debuted at the same time as her. But as a whole, she felt overshadowed by other younger stars and even one of her peers, Taylor.

Does Gaga have it in her to dominate the conversation again and really solidify herself amongst all these greats she's influenced and praised by like Beyoncé or Taylor? Or will she, like Christina or Katy be content with where she's at and only be remembered for her earliest years?

((Side note: I'm not saying either option is bad. Just you can tell who's hungry for greatness and being remembered for generations and who... Isn't.))

How come?

Because the album is weak. It may look like a return to form on the outside but it was easily the most uninventive, tuneless and gay-pandering album of her career. There simply aren’t enough memorable songs on it. There’s nothing that has that unique Gaga spark that her debut or BTW have. It seemed like her giving up her forced image-change and a weak attempt at winning back her former audience without actually caring about making it sound somewhat progressive.

The sound of the album doesn’t match the visual and aesthetic vibe it has. It seems that she has stripped it off any of the progressive industrial vibe that was initially teased to make it Pride-ready.

4 minutes ago, Grams said:

How come?

Because the album is weak. It may look like a return to form on the outside but it was easily the most uninventive, tuneless and gay-pandering album of her career. There simply aren’t enough memorable songs on it. There’s nothing that has that unique Gaga spark that her debut or BTW have. It seemed like her giving up her forced image-change and a weak attempt at winning back her former audience without actually caring about making it sound somewhat progressive.

The sound of the album doesn’t match the visual and aesthetic vibe it has. It seems that she has stripped it off any of the progressive industrial vibe that was initially teased to make it Pride-ready.

If we ever actually get Haus Labs mixes of anything from Chromatica, I hope it does have that Gaga Spark.

Because while I enjoy Chromatica sonically, you're totally right about it. Rarely do I ever call Gaga's dance music generic but stuff like Fun Tonight, Plastic Doll and Free Woman really don't stand out enough, even with Gaga singing them!

Even moreso when you see what a great aesthetic she was going for with the album, and the most focused vision she seemed to have in years which then sorta fell apart with a lack of videos, performances and music to match that vision.

But at the same time, I'm not sure it's as phoned in as it seems either. Lyrically and vocally, Gaga seems very much into the album and I never got the vibe that it was obligatory like say... Lotus or MDNA (and it's not as bad as either of these albums either.) However, considering she basically dropped the album, forgot it existed until the VMAs, dropped another video and forgot about it again maybe she really DIDN'T care that much about this album.

Just now, Strobo said:

If we ever actually get Haus Labs mixes of anything from Chromatica, I hope it does have that Gaga Spark.

Because while I enjoy Chromatica sonically, you're totally right about it. Rarely do I ever call Gaga's dance music generic but stuff like Fun Tonight, Plastic Doll and Free Woman really don't stand out enough, even with Gaga singing them!

Even moreso when you see what a great aesthetic she was going for with the album, and the most focused vision she seemed to have in years which then sorta fell apart with a lack of videos, performances and music to match that vision.

But at the same time, I'm not sure it's as phoned in as it seems either. Lyrically and vocally, Gaga seems very much into the album and I never got the vibe that it was obligatory like say... Lotus or MDNA (and it's not as bad as either of these albums either.) However, considering she basically dropped the album, forgot it existed until the VMAs, dropped another video and forgot about it again maybe she really DIDN'T care that much about this album.

I think she just changed the direction after delaying the album over and over again because she was not brave enough to serve the less generic and more experimental version of it.

It might have been label interference but we can’t know for sure.

27 minutes ago, Grams said:

How come?

This. The Album aesthetic barely matches the songs. Maybe 1000 Doves and Plastic Doll but not the genre. I'd like to see Gaga making a Progressive Industrial Album whether it's Eletronic or Rock Music rih1 

I agree, the issue with Chromatica is it could've been recorded by almost any other pop girl with a decent voice. It doesn't stand out as a "Gaga" album but more just something to keep the gays who stan things over 120BPM onside. 

I am confused about "songs not matching the aesthetics".  sia1  What exactly did you want? interesting1 

The aesthetics were a spot on. I don't claim Stupid Love and Rain On Me were good videos, but their aesthetics did make sense. 

911 video was a perfection.

Chromatica (colors) = videos with vivid colors (Stupid Love, 911).

Dark moody eurodance = Rain On Me, the album cover (although the album cover was too futuristic, it slayed anyway).

1 hour ago, Billie Frank said:

I agree, the issue with Chromatica is it could've been recorded by almost any other pop girl with a decent voice. It doesn't stand out as a "Gaga" album but more just something to keep the gays who stan things over 120BPM onside. 

Don’t call out Freaky Prince like that 

5 minutes ago, Urbi said:

Don’t call out Freaky Prince like that 

OT: Chromatica is top 3 in her discography, but some of yall still want her to serve blood, religion and horror in her visuals/music, but the world has progressed from 2010 lol3

34 minutes ago, Freaky Prince said:

OT: Chromatica is top 3 in her discography, but some of yall still want her to serve blood, religion and horror in her visuals/music, but the world has progressed from 2010 lol3

This coming out your mouth is like Donald Trump saying something that isn’t totally insane.

3 hours ago, Strobo said:

However, considering she basically dropped the album, forgot it existed until the VMAs, dropped another video and forgot about it again maybe she really DIDN'T care that much about this album.

And then remembered it when she decided to drop an Orea collab rih2 

1 hour ago, SeekingThrill said:

I am confused about "songs not matching the aesthetics".  sia1  What exactly did you want? interesting1 

The aesthetics were a spot on. I don't claim Stupid Love and Rain On Me were good videos, but their aesthetics did make sense. 

911 video was a perfection.

Chromatica (colors) = videos with vivid colors (Stupid Love, 911).

Dark moody eurodance = Rain On Me, the album cover (although the album cover was too futuristic, it slayed anyway).

Good Point. However, It looks like that Gaga was trying to create a story behind Chromatica. I'm feeling like the Stupid Love Music Video was rushed and poorly executed. I can see the idea but it felt incomplete, I hope you get my point. On top of that, 911 was better executed in my opinion but disconnected from the Chromatica experience. Musically I think she just tried to bring back 90s House Music. I'm not complaining cause I loved it but the Futuristic aesthetic was a bit too forced. It would have worked better If some of the songs had followed a Dark House Vibe, now that'd even better rav2 . 

1 hour ago, Freaky Prince said:

You really keep your finger on refresh button, don’t you dead1 

She's already cemented herself as up there with the all time greats. She doesn't have anything to prove with future projects. Chromatica could have been a lot bigger if the entire era hadn't basically been shelved due to Covid

2 minutes ago, Miss Icon said:

She's already cemented herself as up there with the all time greats. She doesn't have anything to prove with future projects. Chromatica could have been a lot bigger if the entire era hadn't basically been shelved due to Covid

Curious how she did that already tbh

I thought Chromatica was her best project since Born This Way,

but I think everything she does now will never have that spark that she had in the beginning of her career, no matter how critical or commercially successful it may be. 

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.