Slayty Perry

Island Records in-between CEOs, artists suffering

53 minutes ago, Free Britney said:

This next song title is serving hippie energy... I-

What in the Salem Witch Trials hell? dead2

4 hours ago, LeaHeartBroken said:

What did he do to Carly?

3 hours ago, Mr. Mendes said:

He’s pretty much sabotaged her whole career. He’s time and time again ignored her, thrown her whatever scraps are left over from the others. He’s never taken an interest in her, never has put the time in for her, never has bothered to capitalize on the fact that people who do hear her music love it…but no one hears it who’s not looking for it. She could very well could've been one of the MPGs had he actually put some effort in but he left her to do it on her own and that’s not sustainable for a new artist. He famously treats all his clients like shit, even the big ones, but she has by far gotten the shortest end of the stick. 

1 hour ago, Princess Aurora said:

He literally sabotaged the EMOTION era and not only. I think @Mr. Mendes already explained that 

Wasn't gonna say anything initially but you know what.. rip4 

I'd also like to bring up his treatment of Psy. Scooter signed him not long after Gangnam Style started becoming a hit (at the peak of the song's popularity too, iirc), and he ditched him the second Psy wasn't performing as well as he liked anymore (his song "Hangover" only peaked at No. 26 in the US).

I think the fact that he signed Psy alone tells you a lot about Scooter Braun's character. He never cared about the artist or the music. He never wanted to "help" these artists. He just wanted a slice of the profits. It was the same exact scenario with Carly and Call Me Maybe. Scooter heard the song, noticed how big of a hit it was becoming and did everything he could to track Carly down and gave her all the sweet words to get her signed to him. Then the second she wasn't performing as well commercially anymore.. he ditched her. 

Scooter never wanted to manage these artists -- he just wanted to exploit them.

He also did the same exact thing with Martin Garrix after "Animals" started becoming a mainstream hit by the way. He ditched Martin in 2015 after the EDM trend died out from pop music and he couldn't get a mainstream hit anymore. Mind you, Martin was a 17 year old coming all the way from Netherlands, didn't know anything about the U.S. music industry. Just like with Carly, Scooter told him all the sweet words.. only to ditch him after the EDM trend died out and Martin couldn't get a hit anymore. Martin's still successful within his genre now, but it was Spinnin' Records' (an EDM/DJ label) work.. no thanks to Scooter. 

Scooter's exploitative, predatory behavior is very well recorded. It's not a one-off, it's pattern. The amount of artists who've had negative experiences with him alone should tell you everything you need to know. 

57 minutes ago, LeaHeartBroken said:

I thought the GP wasn't here for her. After IRLY flopped they gave up and didn't promoted RAWM.

Thing is, making I Really Like You the lead single was Scooter's choice. The reason? He wanted a Call Me Maybe 2.0.

Carly never wanted it as the lead. She wanted Run Away With Me.. but Scooter refused it, and was only willing to throw promote her if she released IRLY. So Carly had no choice but to comply, because Scooter likely would've sabotaged her anyways had she got her way and got RAWM as the lead single. Scooter's stubbornness and arrogance costed Carly her career, and he pretty much just threw her away afterwards.

4 minutes ago, Snow said:

Thing is, making I Really Like You the lead single was Scooter's choice. The reason? He wanted a Call Me Maybe 2.0.

Carly never wanted it as the lead. She wanted Run Away With Me.. but Scooter refused it, and was only willing to throw promote her if she released IRLY. So Carly had no choice but to comply, because Scooter likely would've sabotaged her anyways had she got her way and got RAWM as the lead single. Scooter's stubbornness and arrogance costed Carly her career, and he pretty much just threw her away afterwards.

That makes sense. Could that be a secret reason she releases B Side Albums to get out of her contract?

4 minutes ago, LeaHeartBroken said:

That makes sense. Could that be a secret reason she releases B Side Albums to get out of her contract?

I'm not sure what the terms of their contract are, but if they have a multi-album deal in it, it's possible! But they could also just be a gift for fans. 

Scooter also isn't directly Carly's manager anymore, iirc. She's still under his management, but she's now managed by Laura Hess, one of Scooter's subordinates. But the fact that Carly was passed to someone of lower rank is pretty telling.. Scooter likely doesn't care about her anymore, and Carly probably just wants to get out.