Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Simón.

Why is the bar for Adele so low?

I agree the bar is low because her albums generally are a lil monochromatic but I do think this one is better and not in ways as subtle as I expected. I loved the jazz influences woven through the album and she’s also gotten much better at employing emotion without having to belt to express it. Her falsetto and the more neo-soul-inspired delivery on songs like I Drink Wine recall the Amy Winehouse/Duffy type of stuff she was first known for and update that sound. 

Lyrically I agree some of it is not her best. I don’t understand the point of To Be Loved at all. I believe she’s sincere but I can’t make the actual phrasing make sense. And some of the love songs are way less compelling than Rolling in the Deep and SLY, but there are others where she’s definitely being more honest and not just about typical “you hurt me; love is pain” platitudes. Easy On Me is too broad/generalized to be a good example, but My Little Love and Woman Like Me (with resentment that’s a lot more mature and nuanced than something like Send My Love or Rumor Has it) are much more individualized than “universal” and stronger for it. 

Lastly the Cry Your Heart Out / Oh My God / Can I Get It sequence is freaking amazing and the closest to Adele heaux anthems I’ve ever heard. 

On 11/21/2021 at 11:26 PM, Satori said:

I agree the bar is low because her albums generally are a lil monochromatic but I do think this one is better and not in ways as subtle as I expected. I loved the jazz influences woven through the album and she’s also gotten much better at employing emotion without having to belt to express it. Her falsetto and the more neo-soul-inspired delivery on songs like I Drink Wine recall the Amy Winehouse/Duffy type of stuff she was first known for and update that sound. 

Lyrically I agree some of it is not her best. I don’t understand the point of To Be Loved at all. I believe she’s sincere but I can’t make the actual phrasing make sense. And some of the love songs are way less compelling than Rolling in the Deep and SLY, but there are others where she’s definitely being more honest and not just about typical “you hurt me; love is pain” platitudes. Easy On Me is too broad/generalized to be a good example, but My Little Love and Woman Like Me (with resentment that’s a lot more mature and nuanced than something like Send My Love or Rumor Has it) are much more individualized than “universal” and stronger for it. 

Lastly the Cry Your Heart Out / Oh My God / Can I Get It sequence is freaking amazing and the closest to Adele heaux anthems I’ve ever heard. 

I was finding that many of the songs felt like they were going on for too long and not that memorable. In comparison most of the songs on 25 hit you and stuck. 

Easy On Me on it's own is good, but it really doesn't come close to Rolling In The Deep or Hello (or even Chasing Pavements). 

Can I Get It is my favourite, i'd also argue it was the most edgy song on the album. 

On 11/22/2021 at 2:34 PM, Equals = said:

I liked 30 but her albums are kinda the same. I wish she'd experiment with more genres in her next era.

She won't though. She mostly appeals to an older demographic who expect the same old copy+paste Adele with no artistic creativity. 

56 minutes ago, Billie Frank said:

My Grandparents stan Adele / Michael Buble and my mum stans P!nk... Says it all really.  dead2

Let me meet your mum bebe1 I like her more than you already bebe1 

Just now, max said:

Let me meet your mum bebe1 I like her more than you already bebe1 

Ok Asshole. Maybe you could both run a St!nk fanclub or something where you all sit in a dark room and listen to songs about loving someone because you hate them. hottie1

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.