Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Snow

Taylor, Doja, Kanye & more were only added to the Grammys noms in a last minute change

taylor-lil-nas-kanye-.png

Major Grammy nominations for artists such as Taylor Swift, Kanye West and Lil Nas X were apparently added at the last minute due to a change in rules. 

According to the New York Times, a meeting took place on Monday night (November 22) that allowed nominees for the 'Big Four' categories - Album, Record and Song of the Year as well as Best New Artist - to expand from the traditional eight to a more inclusive 10. Thanks to this, Taylor, Kanye and Lil Nas X achieved nominations in their respective categories.

A report published Wednesday said West and Swift, already nominated in other categories, were late additions to the Album of the Year lineup, with the rapper’s Donda album and the singer’s Evermore joining a list containing albums from Justin Bieber, Olivia Rodrigo, Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga, Doja Cat, H.E.R., Billie Eilish, Lil Nas X and Jon Batiste.

The Record of the Year category saw Lil Nas X’s “Montero (Call Me by Your Name)” and ABBA’s “I Still Have Faith in You” added to the list that already included songs by Olivia Rodrigo, Justin Bieber, Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga, Jon Batiste, Doja Cat, Billie Eilish, Silk Sonic and Brandi Carlile.

For the songwriters’ Song of the Year category, the last-minute additions brought in Doja Cat’s “Kiss Me More,” and “Right on Time” by Brandi Carlile. The late expansion of the Best New Artist added the rapper Baby Keem and the composer Arooj Aftab.

While revealing the nominations for the 2022 Grammys Tuesday, the Recording Academy also announced that it was expanding the list of nominees in four general field categories, billing the move as a way “to make room for more music, more artists and more genres, and to embrace the spirit of inclusion.”

x

3 hours ago, Snow said:

Love For Sale was always nominated fall8

I can appreciate what they're trying to do with this, but I can't help but feel like they're setting Tony up a bit. I don't doubt that they'll walk away with at least something because it seems inevitable at this point, and while Tony does deserve it for what he's contributed to music, it will always be a win that will be questioned for its motives. It's something that they could've gotten away with years ago but in the age of social media, I can just see anything they win being waved away as undeserved and only given to him because of his condition. And that's not what he deserves out of this. I don't know, I can just see it making something already difficult for his loved ones even more difficult knowing that the internet is collectively questioning the nod like they mostly already are. 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.