Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Snow

Are artists responsible for their fans' behavior?

Artists are artists. They aren't teachers and they aren't role models. They don't have responsibility for their fans' many actions. Sure, they can interrupt some chaotic moments/events if people point out their fans' behavior to them, but unless they really pay close attention to their fans' antics then they don't have to lecture their fans. I feel that humans still sustain that mentality of "they're public figure therefore they're supposed to know better" to the point where most people still put public figures on higher pedestals as if artists are gods and goddesses. They're not. They're human beings, just like you and me, and they have their own affairs to tend to,just like you and me.

It depends on the artist and the circumstances. In some cases I guess they could be responsible, like for example when Kim K (not an artist but you get the point) basically sent her fans to attack Taylor Swift. Or if you’re a problematic artist who uses social media a lot. But generally no, they don’t have the time to babysit their fans and they’re not responsible for someone else’s behavior.

They have a certain extent to where it's not necessary and where it is. Depending on context, the artist should most of the time gather their stans. In the most extreme cases where they can't control them, then it's beyond the artist at that point. 

Yes. I feel like the relationship between artist and fans influences the culture of the fandom.

You have artists like Nicki who actively encourages her fans deranged behavior. BTS enables their fans and treat like toddlers/girlfriends that can do no wrong. And then Beyonce who totally ignores it and when she did try to say something her own fans basically told her to shut up and mind her business. If you don't have some authority over your fans or you just enable all their irresponsible behavior that's not a good relationship and it reflects on the artist as well. See how BTS and Nicki are perceived mainly because of the fans. 

It's the artist's responsability to have a voice within their own fandom. Ofc it won't drastically stop people from being brainless and deranged but it will shift the culture of the fandom a bit. 

2 hours ago, Atlantis Princess said:

BTS enables their fans and treat like toddlers/girlfriends that can do no wrong. 

Well with this I can't agree even tho most of the  BTS Army is toxic AF, is not the groups fault, I mean is the way Kpop works and how the Kpop idols sells themselves, its bee like this since the very beginning from older groups (that's why when an idol marries or has a gf is like a big deal since fandoms think the own or are even girlfriends of their idols) but sadly the members can't ve very vocal about their fandom behavior.. because they can be easily cancelled in Korea...  sadly is the way the whole industry Kpop works sometimes 

Yes and no. It depends on the situation. 

6 hours ago, Atlantis Princess said:

Yes. I feel like the relationship between artist and fans influences the culture of the fandom.

You have artists like Nicki who actively encourages her fans deranged behavior. BTS enables their fans and treat like toddlers/girlfriends that can do no wrong. And then Beyonce who totally ignores it and when she did try to say something her own fans basically told her to shut up and mind her business. If you don't have some authority over your fans or you just enable all their irresponsible behavior that's not a good relationship and it reflects on the artist as well. See how BTS and Nicki are perceived mainly because of the fans. 

It's the artist's responsability to have a voice within their own fandom. Ofc it won't drastically stop people from being brainless and deranged but it will shift the culture of the fandom a bit. 

This

10 hours ago, Snow said:

Well? Do you agree with Joshua?

Hot. mess1

Generally no, but at the same time an artist saying nothing when a fanbase is outta pocket is kind of similar to condoning it?

They are not responsible for their fanbase's actions, but they absolutely can spur these actions on (see: Barbz) so I don't see why the reverse shouldn't happen either.

"When they're good I love my fans, but when they're bad I let it happen." Isn't really the best take tbh.

On 12/23/2021 at 8:19 PM, GlenCoco said:

Well with this I can't agree even tho most of the  BTS Army is toxic AF, is not the groups fault, I mean is the way Kpop works and how the Kpop idols sells themselves, its bee like this since the very beginning from older groups (that's why when an idol marries or has a gf is like a big deal since fandoms think the own or are even girlfriends of their idols) but sadly the members can't ve very vocal about their fandom behavior.. because they can be easily cancelled in Korea...  sadly is the way the whole industry Kpop works sometimes 

Reason #12463 why people should not encourage the KPop industry.

OP: Yes, they are. Especially if they are aware of it.

Gaga, Nicki, Beyoncé and BTS are prime examples. And what about Taylor who actively encourages to cyber bully other people?

18 hours ago, Madonna said:

Gaga, Nicki, Beyoncé and BTS are prime examples. And what about Taylor who actively encourages to cyber bully other people?

So you're basically saying that if Gaga, Nicki, Beyonce, and BTS try to speak up, they'll get cancelled easily? Ok dead2

OT: It really depends on the context, but most of the time artists are not responsible for their fans behavior. That's the fans' problem, not the artist.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.