Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Hunty Bear

REYCISM: Hunty Bear's 2021 Year-End

o0HhMzr.jpg

OEJIoPS.png?1

laIGQVp.png?1 "Send Me", "Sink In", "Sleeping", "Beating"
IKl0a7u.png?1

Whereas Devotion felt lived-in, Colourgrade initially feels impossible to sink your teeth into. On the abstract follow-up to her warm and immersive 2018 breakthrough, Tirzah has cultivated a meandering meditation on kinship that feels cold, distant and alien; that irony is where Colourgrade’s beauty lies. Oblique and shapeless, Colourgrade is guided by an unwavering devotion to experimentalism that makes for an exceptionally challenging listen, some challenges I have yet to fully overcome (the title track, “Tectonic”). However, as the album plods on, its tightly guarded structure begins to unfurl into something that is both surreal and unfamiliar yet fascinatingly intimate. Once you cross the hump in the tracklist, you can immerse yourself in the oases of the album (“Sink In”, “Send Me”, "Beating") — reinforcements that keep Colourgrade from collapsing into its own stupor. It's easy to get frustrated with the groggy haze of the album, but embracing Colourgrade for its imperfections helps one appreciate its off-kilter beauty — of which there is much to sink into.

IKl0a7u.png?1
umkGq3J.png?1 
IKl0a7u.png?1 
Devotion (2018)

Pcx2176.jpg

heSGDEy.png?1

laIGQVp.png?1 "Blue Banisters", "Black Bathing Suit", "Thunder", "Text Book", "Sweet Carolina", "Wildflower Wildfire"
IKl0a7u.png?1

After perfecting her manicured façade with Chemtrails Over the Country Club — the pristine character-piece that opened her 2021 — Lana Del Rey cleared all of her smokescreens with its late-year follow-up, October’s introspective Blue Banisters. Insular yet sprawling, lucid yet freeform, Blue Banisters is a piercing annihilation of the clean-cut pretenses that she cultivated with Chemtrails; for an album named after protective guardrails, Blue Banisters is a starkly unguarded and intimate portrait of one of our generation’s most complicated icons. With a timeline spanning the pre-Ultraviolence period, Blue Banisters is a far-ranging microcosm of her career, a jagged collage of vignettes that touchstones her cyclical growth from her wounded past to her reclusive present. This album is home to some of her best songwriting in her entire catalog, mostly due to its unvarnished, stream-of-consciousness storytelling that she reads like gentle love letters to her younger self. Her habit of leaving songs in draft states and paging audio passages on her phone imbues the album a grainy authenticity, warping the pastoral scenery of Chemtrails with the anachronistic imagery of maskless frolicking (oh Lana...), Black Lives Matter protesting, and crypto blockchain-ing. For as much festering melancholy that is enclosed in this album's crevices, Lana pages through her trauma quite delicately, humming lullabies over songs that navigate her strained relationship with her mother ("Wildflower Wildfire"), her splintered relationship with her father ("Text Book"), and her indispensable bonds with her sister ("Sweet Carolina"). As a day one follower of Lana's, this album is the statement that many of us have been waiting on for nearly a decade, one that closes the chapter on her outmoded Lana-isms and one that snapshots the author behind them. The subject material can be uncomfortable and blunt, but after a decade of masquerading behind the guise of "Lana Del Rey," it's exciting to see her cut through the bullshit — "[she already] knows you wanna talk about it."

IKl0a7u.png?1
umkGq3J.png?1 
IKl0a7u.png?1
Chemtrails Over the Country Club (2021)
Norman Fucking Rockwell! (2019)
Lust For Life (2017)
Honeymoon (2015)

14 hours ago, Chris Morlock said:

ive bookmarked for now and ill visit some of these albums later on demi1 

12 hours ago, Urbi said:

Oh, I’m here! Let me quickly check oprah15 

thanx girlies! I'll prob wind up finishing today! jj5 depending on if I do write-ups for my HMs which honestly...I'm looking a little too lazy to do atm lmao 

17 minutes ago, Hunty Bear said:

thanx girlies! I'll prob wind up finishing today! jj5 depending on if I do write-ups for my HMs which honestly...I'm looking a little too lazy to do atm lmao 

Another round of great additions  oprah15 

Waiting for a few more albums to see here! jj2 

4BnQtM9.jpg

wrjCpd3.png?1

laIGQVp.png?1 "HAZARD DUTY PAY!", "TRUST!", "SICK, NERVOUS & BROKE!", "WHAT KIND OF RAPPIN' IS THIS? (Offline Version)"
IKl0a7u.png?1

Rapper, producer, and notorious edgelord JPEGMAFIA has always been a volatile and provocative voice in the underground hip-hop scene. His exhilarating third album, LP!, amps those qualities to an eleven, dovetailing into one of the most eclectic, lively and explosive albums I’ve heard all year. Released in two forms — an “Online” version to appease his label and an “Offline” issue serving his full vision — LP! is a colossal 23 tracks in total, constantly vacillating between the clamorous sounds of his music extreme music and the heady mist of his more delicate cuts. The “Offline” version is JPEGMAFIA’s personal induction to the canon of his discography and rightfully so — hidden gems like the woozy “HAZARD DUTY PAY!” and the frenetic “UNTITLED” are too good to be left on the cutting room floor. JPEGMAFIA’s music is always a bit haphazard, weaving together vastly disparate samples and sounds that are dissonant in nature, yet there’s always so much beauty and concordance in the chaotic mesh that is his music. No one’s making music like him because no one can, which is why LP!  lands as one of the most exciting and unique albums of the year.

6XOFmJm.jpg

zyH8AlY.png?1

laIGQVp.png?1 "Valentine", "Ben Franklin", "Headlock", "Forever (Sailing)"
IKl0a7u.png?1

After the breezy yet rather nondescript Lush, Snail Mail hovered only around the margins of my radar. It wasn’t until this year’s bombastic “Valentine” — the visceral and affective title track to her sophomore release — that I truly began to “get it.” Valentine is an infectious, no-frills collection of highly emotive indie rock, undergirded by a diaristic narrative of queer heartbreak. Across Valentine, Snail Mail wears her heart on her sleeve; the storytelling teeters on the histrionic at times, but what’s more gay than melodrama? Whether it be documenting her stint in rehab in the grooving highlight “Ben Franklin” or wallowing in her sorrow in the languid and reverby “Headlock,” the music here is always potent and expressive, gripping you with her theatrical yet candid storytelling. Above all else, thankfully, Valentine is accessible and earwormy, a perfect medium for both intent immersion and mindless indulgence.

9QAwiZg.jpg

Wo5jwB5.png?1

laIGQVp.png?1 "Fly As Me", "Leave the Door Open", "After Last Night", "Smoking Out the Window"
IKl0a7u.png?1

Some unions feel destined by nature, but somehow this one I couldn’t predict. Of course, it doesn’t take a matchmaker to know that Anderson .Paak’s 70s-rooted swagger would complement Bruno Mars’ funk sensibilities seamlessly, but that vision felt a little too good to be true. Thankfully, that fantasy is our reality: under the collaborative moniker Silk Sonic, Mars and .Paak bridge their mighty strengths into an extravagant set of grooves that reads like a greatest hits compilation. An Evening With Silk Sonic is a watertight stack of nine tracks — all-killer and no-filler — driven by indelible grooves that never yield momentum even for a moment. This album feels slick, opulent, and anachronistic, fusing the glamour of old-school soul with the magnetism of new school R&B and creating something that’s sharply reverent yet entirely their own. Yes, An Evening With Silk Sonic can read as overly faithful, but they wear their mighty influences on their bell bottom cuffs at all times. Call it kitsch, call it cosplay — I think it's a triumph and infectious evidence of their incredible chemistry

IKl0a7u.png?1
umkGq3J.png?1 
IKl0a7u.png?1 
Ventura (2019)
Oxnard (2018)

RhSSxeC.gif

e6Q8wY6.png?1

laIGQVp.png?1 
KICK ii: "Rakata", "Born Yesterday", "Lethargy"
KicK iii: "Bruja", "Morbo", "Señorita", "Joya"
kick iiii: "Queer", "Xenomorphgirl"
KiCK iiiii: "Estrogen", "Sanctuary"

IKl0a7u.png?1

After last year’s voltaic and electric KiCk i, I expected that Arca would need time to recharge — to creatively recuperate after pouring her heart and soul into one of last year’s most exciting projects. But of course, that’s not how the experimental visionary and trans-nonbinary icon works. After stopgapping with January’s Madre EP, Arca dribbled out four kinetic “Kick” follow-ups in four days, culminating in a monolithic anthology that spans the many corners on the vanguard of electronic music. There’s so much to unpack in these four Kicks that it would take days to excavate the topography of each album — the torrential electro-reggaeton of KICK ii, the woozy abstractions of kick iiii, and the wispy skeleton that is kiCK iiiii. KicK iii is undoubtedly the strongest in my opinion, a frenetic, prismatic burst of the transmorphic stylings that electrify her best work. There’s no shortage of color on KicK iii, bursting at the seams with a chaotic, disordered snarl that makes for some of the most interesting experimental music that I’ve ever heard. This doesn’t mean that KicK iii is the sole saving grace of the Kick anthology — the four installments in the Kick franchise occupy very different niches, compounding and reinforcing one another and lining the crevices that the others leave vacant. Even if Arca's music isn't to your taste, you cannot deny the incredible achievement that Arca has accomplished with this series; hopefully one of the five (highly disparate) Kicks piques your interest, because the final mosaic of the Kick compilation covers more ground than any other individual endeavor this year.

IKl0a7u.png?1
umkGq3J.png?1
IKl0a7u.png?1 
KiCk i (2020)

ExC2t3r.png

hb45sV1.png?1
g1gJyxo.png?1

laIGQVp.png?1 "Jackie", "Crushed Velvet", "Tuck", "Secrecy is Important to the Both of Them"
IKl0a7u.png?1

Molded by the same experimental flourishes that made last year's Heaven to a Tortured Mind such a highlight, Yves Tumor's psychedelic and motley The Asymptotical World EP maintains some of the most shapeshifting and cerebral pop music of the year. This EP oozes a mystique that's impossible to pin down, possessing an addictive malignancy that only grows onto you with successive listens. Despite being on the cutting edge at all times — characteristic of Yves Tumor's best work — highlights like the voltaic "Jackie" and the bewitching "Crushed Velvet" remain just as pristine and infectious as they are grungy and abrasive. If you liked any of Yves past output, it's practically impossible to not love this.

IKl0a7u.png?1
umkGq3J.png?1 
IKl0a7u.png?1
Heaven to a Tortured Mind (2020)

IKl0a7u.png?1
eQimQe5.png?1
IKl0a7u.png?1

KAYTRANADA - Intimidated
Kero Kero Bonito - Civilisation
Rachel Chinouriri - Four° In Winter
Tkay Maidza - Last Year Was Weird, Vol. 3
yaya bey - The Things I Can't Take With Me

eQimQe5.png?1

IKl0a7u.png?1

khXHavE.jpg

uFmAR5E.png?1

laIGQVp.png?1 "Pick Up Your Feelings", "Price Tags", "The Other Side"

IKl0a7u.png?1

Jazmine Sullivan's choice to reinscribe this project with testimonies from women about sex and sexuality adds a really cool dimension to an otherwise airtight set of R&B crooners.

B4w05FO.png

o2lzGSw.png?1

laIGQVp.png?1 "hold yourself.", "hypnotized.", "my neighbor."

IKl0a7u.png?1

Volatile, erratic, and occasionally scattershot, Tune-Yard's infectious sketchy. displays a robust return to form after what seemed like a dearth in their creativity.

7ZRya7j.png

3qPIrzl.png?1

laIGQVp.png?1 "The Melting of the Sun", "Down and About Downtown", "Live in the Dream", "Daddy's Home"

IKl0a7u.png?1

Evocative, striking and downright gritty, St. Vincent's Daddy's Home delivers on an ambitious concept with depth that her last full-length seemed to lack.

P81GJJX.png

HXrvyij.png?1

laIGQVp.png?1 "Folie Á Deux", "The Stellar-Ray Theory", "The 26th Letter"

IKl0a7u.png?1

Mach-Hommy's Pray For Haiti  — his first of two projects this year — is one of the most well-produced, well-written and well-rapped albums of the year and probably deserved more immersive listening from me.

1fdQQzE.jpg

qUqHFfC.png?1

laIGQVp.png?1 "Troubled Paradise", "Clouds", "Cowboys", "Butterflies"

IKl0a7u.png?1

Slayyyter's Troubled Paradise is kitschy, ridiculous, and shouldn't be taken too seriously. Filled with campy bops from beginning to end, even if the quality errs here and there.

WnHX8Zz.jpg

lqJpSQk.png?1

laIGQVp.png?1 "lng hair dnt care", "Bussin' (Cold)", "Doin Tew Much. (In My Mama Name)"

IKl0a7u.png?1

pink siifu's GUMBO'! is heady and immersive, a colossal honeypot of slow-burners that I needed more time with before inducting it into my main year-end list.

UOI7Chw.png

RJValMw.png?1

laIGQVp.png?1 "Violent Delights", "California", "Final Girl", "Asking for a Friend"

IKl0a7u.png?1

CHVRCHES' graphic, visceral and morbid Screen Violence is undoubtedly a return to form after 2018's vapid Love Is Dead, though even though its highs are sublime ("Violent Delights", "California"), it was unfortunately never able to scratch the same itch that their first two projects did (two of my favorite albums of all time).

IKl0a7u.png?1
umkGq3J.png?1
IKl0a7u.png?1
Love Is Dead (2018)
Every Open Eye (2015)

6tQt7pG.jpg

eZiSfOU.png?1

laIGQVp.png?1 "Secrets (Your Fire)", "You Lose!", "Domino", "Hysterical Us"

IKl0a7u.png?1

Magdalena Bay's glossy and palindromic Mercurial World is a balls-to-the-wall compilation of some of the most creative pop music of the year, a project that enchanted me yet unfortunately eluded me until it was too late.

39B0vCz.jpg

eqEGVwy.png?1

laIGQVp.png?1 "Quiet On Set", "wyd", "Sexy Villain", "Street That You Live On"

IKl0a7u.png?1

Remi Wolf's endearing Juno is hands-down the most euphoric, fun, and outrageous pop albums of the year; though the songs occasionally lack sonic distinction from one another, Remi Wolf never fails to surprise and charm with her incredible wit, charisma, and humor.

alright that concludes it! I know I zipped through these faster than the past few years but I hope anyone reading enjoyed this and considered listening to any that y'all haven't heard before! I love compiling these even though it does take a bit of effort lmao dead2 

2 hours ago, Urbi said:

Another round of great additions  oprah15 

Waiting for a few more albums to see here! jj2 

thanks for tuning in girlie! can't believe you're still active fdsjk, hope you're doing well jj2 also I always see you on Chuu and leave my crowns alone oh my god!

actually! I also wasted time listing like...my 80 fave SOTYs, so this will be it orangu1 

Spoiler

1. "Be Sweet" - Japanese Breakfast 
  2. "Woman (feat. Cleo Sol)" - Little Simz 
  3. "Hold U" - Indigo De Souza 
  4. "Hard Drive" - Cassandra Jenkins 
  5. "White Dress" - Lana Del Rey 
  6. "Jackie" - Yves Tumor 
  7. "WUSYANAME (feat. YoungBoy NBA & Ty Dolla $ign)" - Tyler, the Creator 
  8. "Sink In" - Tirzah 
  9. "MAZZA (feat. A$AP Rocky)" - slowthai 
  10. "Find It" - L'Rain 
  11. "Sometimes" - Faye Webster 
  12. "Don't Go Puttin Wishes In My Head" - TORRES 
  13. "Hard Way" - Flock of Dimes 
  14. "bio" - duendita 
  15. "lng hair dnt care" - Pink Siifu 
  16. "Get Into It (Yuh)" - Doja Cat 
  17. "stabilise" - Nilüfer Yanya 
  18. "Secrets (Your Fire)" - Magdalena Bay 
  19. "Nobody Knows We Are Fun" - CHAI 
  20. "Good Ones" - Charli XCX
  21. "Bouncin" - Tinashe
  22. "Fly As Me" - Silk Sonic
  23. "Maker (Refraction)" - Anjimile
  24. "fxck it then" - yaya bey
  25. "The Melting of the Sun" - St. Vincent
  26. "The Only Heartbreaker" - Mitski
  27. "Rainforest" - Noname
  28. "HAZARD DUTY PAY!" - JPEGMAFIA
  29. "Like I Used To" - Sharon Van Etten & Angel Olsen
  30. "Money (feat. Flo Milli)" - Rico Nasty
  31. “My Little Love” - Adele
  32. "BDE (feat. slowthai)" - SHYGIRL
  33. "Amoeba" - Clairo
  34. "IN YOUR EYES" - Snoh Aalegra
  35. “Pressure” - Ari Lennox
  36. "I Can Only Whisper (feat. BADBADNOTGOOD)" - Charlotte Day Wilson
  37. "hypnotized." - Tune-Yards
  38. "COUNT ON ME" - BROCKHAMPTON
  39. "Unlock It (feat. Playboi Carti)" - Abra
  40. "Cherry Pit" - Luna Li
  41. “Tears In the Club (feat. The Weeknd)” - FKA twigs
  42. “Space 2” - Nala Sinephro
  43. "Impossible" - Jessie Ware
  44. "Ritual" - Navy Blue
  45. "Glidin' (feat. slowthai)" - Pa Salieu
  46. "Cowboys" - Slayyyter
  47. "Headlock" - Snail Mail
  48. "Knees" - Injury Reserve
  49. "$payforhaiti (feat. Mach-Hommy)" - KAYTRANADA
  50. "Frozen (feat. J.I.D. & Swavay)" - James Blake
  51. "Well Rested" - Kero Kero Bonito
  52. "Gemini and Leo" - Helado Negro
  53. “Sexy Villain” - Remi Wolf
  54. “Folie Á Deaux (feat. Westside Gunn & Keisha Plum)” - Mach-Hommy
  55. "Swimmer" - Half Waif
  56. “Sword” - IAN SWEET
  57. “Evil Eye” - MIKE
  58. “Glass Peach” - Joviale
  59. “Darker Place” - Rachel Chinouriri
  60. “I Go” - Peggy Gou
  61. “rom com 2004” - Soccer Mommy
  62. “Cashmere” - Tkay Maidza
  63. “LAW OF AVERAGES” - Vince Staples
  64. “Atlantic” - The Weather Station
  65. “Cantares” - Buscabulla
  66. “Señorita” - Arca
  67. “Cogelo Suave” - Xenia Rubinos
  68. “Dancing Away In Tears” - Yola
  69. “Bunny is a Rider” - Caroline Polachek
  70. “Bussifame” - Dawn Richard
  71. “Warning” - Megan Thee Stallion
  72. “Slow Down (feat. Lucky Daye)” - VanJess
  73. “Can’t Believe It (feat. Sam Gendel)” - Moses Sumney
  74. “Rider” - Mereba
  75. “Unfolding (Momentum 73)” - BADBADNOTGOOD
  76. “And Groove” - India Jordan
  77. “Meagan Good” - Tierra Whack
  78. “déjà vu” - Olivia Rodrigo
  79. “Lotto” - TiaCorine
  80. “Breastmilk” - The Koreatown Oddity

27 minutes ago, Hunty Bear said:

alright that concludes it! I know I zipped through these faster than the past few years but I hope anyone reading enjoyed this and considered listening to any that y'all haven't heard before! I love compiling these even though it does take a bit of effort lmao dead2 

thanks for tuning in girlie! can't believe you're still active fdsjk, hope you're doing well jj2 also I always see you on Chuu and leave my crowns alone oh my god!

A great list overall!!!

But… No love for Blue Weekend? Happier Than Ever? Still Over It? Collapsed In Sunbeams? Sling? Hey What? to hell with it? bebe1 

Sorry about the crowns though! jj2 

22 minutes ago, Urbi said:

A great list overall!!!

But… No love for Blue Weekend? Happier Than Ever? Still Over It? Collapsed In Sunbeams? Sling? Hey What? to hell with it? bebe1 

Sorry about the crowns though! jj2 

never bothered with Wolf Alice, Low and Summer Walker, didn't care for Arlo Parks, and to hell with it, Happier Than Ever and Sling were decent to me but not year-end faves tbh bebe1 I did really love Amoeba and Billie Bossa Nova though

but where's your year-end list girlie jj3 

1 hour ago, Hunty Bear said:

never bothered with Wolf Alice, Low and Summer Walker, didn't care for Arlo Parks, and to hell with it, Happier Than Ever and Sling were decent to me but not year-end faves tbh bebe1 I did really love Amoeba and Billie Bossa Nova though

but where's your year-end list girlie jj3 

Oh what a shame. Blue Weekend for example is my top 5 personally, it’s such a great record bebe1 Rest of them also have a spot somewhere in top 10 or 20.

It’s coming but closer to the end of the year jj2 

6 hours ago, Urbi said:

Oh what a shame. Blue Weekend for example is my top 5 personally, it’s such a great record bebe1 Rest of them also have a spot somewhere in top 10 or 20.

It’s coming but closer to the end of the year jj2 

feel free to @ me whenever you post it! I might swing back on here, looking forward! jj2 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.