Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Princess Aurora

Did Lady Gaga just pull a Jessie J? rip2

As much as I love Lady Gaga, I was extremely confused by what she recently said about her Sexuality

Lady Gaga has said she does not "represent" LGBTQ people but is rather a "supporter" of the community.

The clarification came in a new interview about Gaga's latest film House of Gucci, where the cultural icon was asked by The Advocate what it means to be able to represent LGBTQ people at the Academy Awards.

To this, the 'Bad Romance' singer confirms that she does not represent the community or "speak" on its behalf. 

(Side note: however the Born This Way foundation founder does or doesn't label herself and her experiences, with lyrics like "no matter gay, straight or bi, lesbian, transgender life" [from 2011's 'Born This Way'], and her 2010 meat dress protesting the US 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' military policy, the star is a fantastic LGBTQ ally and icon!)

"Without the LGBTQ+ community, I would not be who I am"

The interviewer says to Gaga, 35: "Already the film is being talked about in terms of awards, and of course, you're being talked about in those terms, which is well-deserved.

"It's so important, that space, especially the Academy Awards, is not super visible and has not been really an accepting place - maybe that's the wrong word - but we haven't seen a lot of LGBTQ+ representation at the Academy Awards. So with the film, and A Star Is Born, your presence there - what does it mean to you to be able to be in that space and represent for that community?"

To this, Gaga responds: "You know, I would like to say because I feel that it is right and true to say this: I am a supporter of the LGBTQ+ community but I do not speak for them. They do not need me to speak for them.

"I am here to cheer on a radical love and a radical joy that I had the privilege of witnessing since I was a very young girl. And without the LGBTQ+ community, I would not be who I am. 

"What I will say is, I'm not here to represent that community because they do not need me to. But I am here to always speak out about what is right and true for all of humanity. That people be loved. That oppression and hatred be a thing of the past. But that requires all of us, and also to know our place."

The statement follows Gaga, in 2009, answering the question 'are you bisexual?' from Barbara Walters by saying: "I do like women. I've only been in love with men, I've never been in love with a woman. That's really what the song ['Poker Face'] was all about. Why when I was with my boyfriend was I fantasising about women?"

She later added: "I've certainly had sexual relationships with women, yes."

In 2013, she also told Attitude: "I am bisexual, I've said it before I'll say it again, I don't need to - I'm sorry if this is a bit vulgar - I don't need to eat pussy in front of people for the whole world to take me seriously."

Nevertheless, in 2017 Gaga told that year's class of RuPaul's Drag Race queens on an episode of Untucked: "I’m not a gay woman, you know? And [it’s] that touchy sort of subject where ― can you stand up for people that you are not necessarily fully part of that community in a way that you can understand what you all go through?"

Does this mean that she found out she's not bi or else? I thought she was a bisexual woman all this time rip2 What do you think? 

Perhaps her sexuality is just fluid, and due to her having privilege of being perceived as straight to most of the world, she rightfully doesn't feel it's fair to say she represents the LGTBQ+ community, when so many of us face prejudice and discrimination due to our sexuality or gender identity that she hasn't. More than anything, her saying this feels very self aware.

I say this with absolutely no bias at all, Lady Gaga, of all pop girls and public figures, is NOT the one to be problematic when it comes to LGBTQ+ issues. She has walked the walk just as much as she has talked the talk. From endless campaigning for anti-bullying, providing mental health services for LGBTQ+ youth through her foundation, being the leading public figure in the repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell, removing her albums from being sold at stores that donate to anti-equality organisations, it's hard to think of another celebrity who has done as much for LGBTQ+ rights as she has.

6 minutes ago, Miss Icon said:

Perhaps her sexuality is just fluid, and due to her having privilege of being perceived as straight to most of the world, she rightfully doesn't feel it's fair to say she represents the LGTBQ+ community, when so many of us face prejudice and discrimination due to our sexuality or gender identity that she hasn't. More than anything, her saying this feels very self aware.

I say this with absolutely no bias at all, Lady Gaga, of all pop girls and public figures, is NOT the one to be problematic when it comes to LGBTQ+ issues. She has walked the walk just as much as she has talked the talk. From endless campaigning for anti-bullying, providing mental health services for LGBTQ+ youth through her foundation, being the leading public figure in the repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell, removing her albums from being sold at stores that donate to anti-equality organisations, it's hard to think of another celebrity who has done as much for LGBTQ+ rights as she has.

This ^^

I think her answer makes sense in that the interviewer did ask about her being eligible for awards and the inclusions of LGBTQ presence in the awards space. While yes, LGBTQ representation in the awards space is important, Gaga being nominated doesn't really do anything to help that - despite her being a huge ally. I think that's what she's trying to get across. I definitely think though the wording maybe wasn't the greatest though. 

15 hours ago, Miss Icon said:

15 hours ago, CHANEL #1 said:

I think her answer makes sense in that the interviewer did ask about her being eligible for awards and the inclusions of LGBTQ presence in the awards space. While yes, LGBTQ representation in the awards space is important, Gaga being nominated doesn't really do anything to help that - despite her being a huge ally. I think that's what she's trying to get across. I definitely think though the wording maybe wasn't the greatest though. 

You're right. I was only surprised by her response. I was like wait dead2 

4 hours ago, Miss Icon said:

110% antm1

Like you don't even have to be a huge Lady Gaga fan to appreciate the level of positive campaigning and exposure she's given/generated for the LGBTQ+ community. 

4 minutes ago, Kim Woodburn said:

She was definitely trying to present herself as more bi/bi-curious at one point... Which isn't surprising as it did see to be a trend around 2011-14. 

Oh she definitely was and now backtracking…

While I do agree that sexuality is a spectrum: Gaga and Jessie definitely took advantage of trying to pass as bi to gain more fans. That’s the nasty part about it. 

4 hours ago, Madonna said:

Oh she definitely was and now backtracking…

While I do agree that sexuality is a spectrum: Gaga and Jessie definitely took advantage of trying to pass as bi to gain more fans. That’s the nasty part about it. 

The thing is she's been out as bi since the start of her career, so she wasn't saying she was bi just to gain more fans jj4

1 hour ago, Kaeya said:

The thing is she's been out as bi since the start of her career, so she wasn't saying she was bi just to gain more fans jj4

Umm you literally just proved what I said. At the start of her career she „came out“ as gay. jj4 Now that she wants to have a broader (and more straight audience), she backtracked. I‘m glad we both agree on this. jj2 

1 minute ago, Madonna said:

Umm you literally just proved what I said. At the start of her career she „came out“ as gay. jj4 Now that she wants to have a broader (and more straight audience), she backtracked. I‘m glad we both agree on this. jj2 

Umm I don't agree but ok jj2

13 minutes ago, Madonna said:

When did she come out as gay? When did she say she isn't bi? Why are you saying things that aren't true? brit9

She simply said she does not represent the LGBTQ+ community. I know attempts at shading her are made easier by twisting her words and making things up, but please stick to the facts, thank you! jj2

17 minutes ago, Miss Icon said:

When did she come out as gay? When did she say she isn't bi? Why are you saying things that aren't true? brit9

She simply said she does not represent the LGBTQ+ community. I know attempts at shading her are made easier by twisting her words and making things up, but please stick to the facts, thank you! jj2

If you „do not represent the LGBTQ+“ that means you are not actually part of it. I don’t know whether you have simply trouble understanding the English language, or just plain oblivious to the facts presented to you. dead2 

31 minutes ago, Madonna said:

If you „do not represent the LGBTQ+“ that means you are not actually part of it. I don’t know whether you have simply trouble understanding the English language, or just plain oblivious to the facts presented to you. dead2 

Sorry to be the one to inform you, but that is not correct. The LGBTQ+ community exists on a very broad spectrum, and it is up to each individual person to determine if they feel they represent the community or not, based on their specific circumstances. I'm gay, do I represent every person within the LGBTQ+ community, which includes a wide range of different sexualities and gender identities? Absolutely not. Particularly as a gay male person with privilege that is not afforded to other members of the community outside of the western world and to LGBTQ+ people of colour, I do not represent their experiences and lived reality, despite us co-existing within the LGBTQ+ community. Besides any of this, Lady Gaga doesn't owe you an explanation on how she identifies, and why she feels she doesn't represent the community, nor does anybody else.

I appreciate that this is a lot for some people to wrap their heads around, so it is understandable to be confused until you understand the nuances of being a member of a community where you are both a minority and benefit from privilege simultaneously. I'm sure you are well intentioned.

There really isn't any need to be rude, and my comprehension of the English language is perfect, thank you. However, I did notice that you created an alternative narrative where Lady Gaga came out as gay, and backtracked on being bisexual, neither of which happened. Therefore, I suspect that it is you struggling with the facts that have been presented. Thank you

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.