Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

MarvinGayefan123

No Iconic Artist after 1988

Speaking at a more recent event in Kansas City on September 28, Simmons was asked to elaborate on his comments, allowing him to reveal his suggestion that there have been no “iconic” acts emerge in the past 26 years. “Rock’n’roll is dead,” he said in an interview which can be seen below.

“I’m gonna ask you a question, and you decide, OK? From 1958 until 1988, it’s 30 years, name hundreds and hundreds of classic rock acts. OK, I’ve got Elvis Presley, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin… on and on and on. Even Motown… Madonna, Prince, Michael Jackson. From 1988 until today, just give me five. You can’t name [them]. Iconic [newer artists]? No. Nobody. How about that?”

Ultimately, Simmons feels that technology devalues emerging artists. “I think it really comes down to when technology outpaces the laws of the land, it’s the Wild West; people just go and grab territory and don’t pay for it. It devalues new bands. It doesn’t affect me – I make a living – but it’s sad, because the next Beatles or the next Kiss, it does not have a chance.”

https://www.nme.com/news/music/kiss-14-1244796

Sorry Mariah Carey and Beyonce fans. They're not iconic, even Dionne Warwick doesn't even consider these so called artists "iconic." I understand why you Millennial's feel you have to class these frauds as icons since your generation lacked good music.

Sure because every single song released before 1988 was this masterpiece that transcended time. lol3 The reason why many of these decades feel so perfect is that all the good and iconic songs are pushed to the forefront of music conversations about said era. You'd have to search hard to find the terrible songs because society has "forgotten" about them.

Also, why should I care about the ramblings of an old, irrelevant and bitter rock star who's mad that music evolved from the shit he grew up with/listened to as an adult and isn't in the mainstream anymore? Rock isn't dead. Anyone who  feels like this probably spends too much time listening to the radio than actually getting off their ass and finding music for themselves.

7 minutes ago, Kaeya said:

The way you actually reposted this even though it was sent to the wasteland lol3 But anyways, I guess Lady Gaga, Billie Eilish, and Ariana Grande aren't "iconic" because their music wasn't made in the 1980s lol2

Mariah missed out on iconic status by just two years. Poor baby gag1

1 hour ago, Kim Woodburn said:

Maroon 5, Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez, Taylor Swift and BTS are five iconic artists that are far more impactful than your dusty six feet under faves. 

not JB. He's a trend hopper and has literally 0 impact and is not iconic by any means and he means absolutely nothing.

OT: LMAO

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.