Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Simón.

Germany boosting its military strength: 100 billion military funding & yearly 2+% of GDP funding

img263061912.jpg

In a historic announcement to parliament, the German chancellor, Olaf Scholz, has said a fund of €100bn (£85bn) will be set up immediately to boost the strength of the country’s armed forces, as he also announced a sustained increase in defence spending over the coming years.

He called it “Germany’s historical responsibility” to ensure that Vladimir Putin “does not turn the clocks back”.

The move came after the government made the surprise announcement on Saturday that it would be sending weapons and other supplies to Ukraine, including 1,000 anti-tank weapons, 500 surface-to-air Stinger missiles and thousands of gallons of petrol.

The decision marks a historical break with Germany’s postwar pledge to not export weapons to conflict zones.

Long-term defence spending is to be increased year on year by more than 2% of GDP, he said. It is currently about 1.5% with Germany having been under growing pressure from its Nato allies, in particular the US, to increase the amount for years. The existence of the special fund should be anchored in Germany’s constitution, Scholz said, in order to ensure it remained a guarantee beyond the life of the current parliament.

X

Putin really did what he was trying to prevent. Not only the West being more united than ever, Germany (together with France) about to become a new military powerhouse in Europe, which could bring balance to continental Europe. (not the biggest fan of military but with Russia being EU's neighbor, its understandable) 

Not the biggest fan of military either but i think we have to face the reality that it's the only way to maintain peace, stability and democracy on the European continent and there does need to be less of a "reliance" on the US. 

He united NATO and the west in ways that it hasn’t been in decades. 

He took the myth of the invincible Russian Military out back and shot it.

He showed off the shoddiness of Russian military equipment and convinced states like Saudi Arabia and Turkey to keep buying their shit from the good old USA. 

He decimated his country’s economy. 

He backed China into such a corner and got such a rise out of the west that even they felt they couldn’t touch it.

He put the EU and NATO in such a position that they are not only amendable to Germany undergoing their biggest single rearmament expenditure since they went all Hitler-y 80 years ago, but are actively encouraging it. 

They might eventually do what they want to do in Ukraine, they might not, but when this is all said and done — almost everything he hoped to avoid will have taken place. 

53 minutes ago, Simón. said:

Putin really did what he was trying to prevent. Not only the West being more united than ever, Germany (together with France) about to become a new military powerhouse in Europe, which could bring balance to continental Europe. (not the biggest fan of military but with Russia being EU's neighbor, its understandable) 

This. I'm so happy about this. I'm glad I had faith in the EU and Europe as a Continent despite the mess in the last few years true1 I hope more European Cooperation will increase in the next few decades true1 

1 minute ago, Princess Aurora said:

This. I'm so happy about this. I'm glad I had faith in the EU and Europe as a Continent despite the mess in the last few years true1 I hope more European Cooperation will increase in the next few decades true1 

We are probably a huge step close to an European army tbh true1

38 minutes ago, Princess Aurora said:

Honestly even though there has been some instability in Europe i don't think it would've ever went to anything like this. Although the "West" may have some differences on more specific economic and judicial issues it still ultimately has the same shared values for everyone... Liberty, freedom, peace and democracy.  

14 minutes ago, Kim Woodburn said:

Honestly even though there has been some instability in Europe i don't think it would've ever went to anything like this. Although the "West" may have some differences on more specific economic and judicial issues it still ultimately has the same shared values for everyone... Liberty, freedom, peace and democracy.  

Yeah, I agree with this idea, it was such a surprise honestly, I'd never expect an invasion a la 20th Century in 2022. None of the European countries except Russia actually used fire against each other in the last twenty years or so. That's why it's important to cooperate with countries that have shared values true1 They can be culturally different but definitely similar If that's the point. 

1 hour ago, Darth Sidious said:

He put the EU and NATO in such a position that they are not only amendable to Germany undergoing their biggest single rearmament expenditure since they went all Hitler-y 80 years ago, but are actively encouraging it. 

If someone asked me few month ago that this would happen, I would think that they completely insane. The fact that this military spending is supported by all major parties (the left party is irrelevant) and a huge portion of Germans. This was honesty not imaginable few weeks ago. The fact Germany is about to become the third biggest spender in military is insane, this is a historical shift in modern German history. rip4  And this is all happening with a center-left government 

1 hour ago, Simón. said:

If someone asked me few month ago that this would happen, I would think that they completely insane. The fact that this military spending is supported by all major parties (the left party is irrelevant) and a huge portion of Germans. This was honesty not imaginable few weeks ago. The fact Germany is about to become the third biggest spender in military is insane, this is a historical shift in modern German history. rip4  And this is all happening with a center-left government 

+

You know you’ve fucked up when Switzerland goes in on  you.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.