Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Snow

Jussie Smollett: 'Empire' actor sentenced to 150 days in jail

220310144545-02-jussie-smollett-sentenci

Jussie Smollett has been sentenced to jail for 150 days in Cook County Jail after being convicted of staging a hate crime against himself in 2019 and making false reports to the police. He was also sentenced to 30 months of probation and will have to pay restitution in the amount of $120,106 and a 25,000 fine.

Smollett will begin his sentence immediately. He was also ordered to pay more than $120,000 in restitution to the city of Chicago, and was fined $25,000. He was also sentenced to 30 months of felony probation. Following the sentencing, the former Empire actor said that he “is not suicidal” several times and maintained his innocence. 

“I am not suicidal. I am innocent, and I am not suicidal. If I did this, then it means that I stuck my fist in the fears of Black Americans in this country for over 400 years, and the fears of the LGBT community,” Smollett said, per CBS News. “Your honor, I respect you, and I respect the jury, but I did not do this. And I am not suicidal, and if anything happens to me when I go in there, I did not do it to myself, and you must all know that. I respect you, your honor, I respect your decision.”

Judge James Linn called Smollett “a charlatan pretending to be a victim of a hate crime” while handing down the sentence. Additionally, Judge Linn said the actor was “arrogant” and “narcissistic.”

The 39-year-old claimed he was walking around Chicago in the the early hours of Jan. 29, 2019 when he was attacked by two masked white men. He told authorities the assailants shouted racial and homophobic slurs, poured bleach on him, and placed a rope around his neck. The two individuals were later identified as brothers Abimbola and Olabinjo Osundairo, two Black men who had worked with Smollett on Empire.

Smollett was charged with six counts of disorderly conduct (Class 4 felonies) for lying to the police. The jury convicted him of five counts, however, and acquitted him on the sixth. That one pertained to statements he provided on the incident weeks after the fact, while the other five charges were in connection to statements he provided on the day he reported it to police.

x

8 hours ago, Princess Aurora said:

I still don't understand why he staged a hate crime against himself rip4 

6 hours ago, Christopher Roy said:

just... why did anything even happen in the first place? dead1  

The judge kind of said it. He's a narcissist and probably wanted the media attention & the victim-card the hate crime would give him.

I'm not surprised, especially given he had lied to the police in the past and these things stay on your record and will forever taint you if you commit further offences.  I honestly just can't get my head why anyone would do this, once these 150 days are done he needs to seek counselling or something. 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.