Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Snow

Oscars condemns Will Smith's actions, will start a formal review

Will Smith slaps Chris Rock at

Sunday night’s Will Smith incident at the 2022 Oscars will not be fading away quietly.

Per a statement from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences issued Monday: “The Academy condemns the actions of Mr. Smith at last night’s show. We have officially started a formal review around the incident and will explore further action and consequences in accordance with our Bylaws, Standards of Conduct and California law.”

The matter of Smith slapping presenter Chris Rock on stage at the awards ceremony is likely to be more fully addressed at the next meeting of the Academy’s Board of Governors. The first post-Oscars board meeting always features a post-mortem of the ceremony and addresses issues that arose during the show.

Some sanction of Smith is likely to come — perhaps the suspension of his Academy membership, as some members are calling for, but not the revocation of his best actor Oscar, as others would like to see. Whoopi Goldberg, a member of the Board of Governors who’s also an Oscar winner and former host, said as much on The View on Monday: “We’re not going to take that Oscar from him. There will be consequences I’m sure, but I don’t think that’s what they’ll do.”

x

Look, I don’t agree with what Will did. I think he was out of line and deserves the criticism and some consequences (as does Chris Rock).

However, Roman Polanski and Woody Allen and other noted serial sexual abusers of children have gotten no such review and the Academy didn’t make a big to do about them. 

What Will did was wrong, but it was not worse than what those men did and they never got this level of scrutiny. Just discipline him and move on and stop making a scene. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Mendes said:

Look, I don’t agree with what Will did. I think he was out of line and deserves the criticism and some consequences (as does Chris Rock).

However, Roman Polanski and Woody Allen and other noted serial sexual abusers of children have gotten no such review and the Academy didn’t make a big to do about them. 

What Will did was wrong, but it was not worse than what those men did and they never got this level of scrutiny. Just discipline him and move on and stop making a scene. 

This. 

I mean, contrary to what it might have seemed in the other thread — I’m not a violence advocate or whatever, but relatively speaking — what happened wasn’t an entirely unreasonable human response. Will didn’t bludgeon him with the chair he was sitting in or some shit. It wasn’t the right thing, but it wasn’t the worst thing in the world, if that makes sense. 

If we’re going to strip Will Smith of his Oscar for smacking Chris Rock in the face, we need to strip Woody Allen of his 4 for molesting one of his daughters and marrying the other.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.