Snow

Doja is smashing, Megan is tanking. Why?

meghan-thee-stallion-doja-cat-hot-100-ch

This time two years ago, Doja & Megan were battling for No. 1 with Savage & Say So.
And they both ended up getting it.. but Doja went on to have hits after hits, with Kiss Me More becoming one of the biggest hits of the year and her currently being in the Top 10 with Woman. 

Megan's career, however, has not seen this same upwards trajectory. That same year Savage went No. 1, Megan did score another big hit with WAP, but there has not been much since. None of the singles from her album made much noise; Body debuted at No. 12, but fell down afterwards and never fully recovered. Thot Shit was the same way. SG, a collaboration with DJ Snake and BLACKPINK's Lisa, didn't even chart.

Her most recent big effort was on Sweetest Pie with Dua Lipa, and their combo should've made the song an instant hit. Except.. it didn't. After debuting at No. 15, the song fell, and has been hovering around the lower end of the Top 40 ever since.

They had the same momentum, but Megan's career hasn't skyrocketed like Doja's. Why?
What went wrong?

Megan makes straight hip hop music, heavily rap oriented, has a more aggressive style. She isn't easily digestible by a mainstream audience. Even on a pop song like Sweetest Pie she doesn't fit in as much as she tries. It's not a style that fits her voice. 

Doja makes pop music with some rap verses thrown in there. She reaches a mainstream audiences because she can also sing and has a "sweeter voice" that allows her to tap into dance songs, not only hip hop. She also does choreography and has high budget music videos so besides the straight GP she also has the gays on her side. 

Megan seems to have only the support of (black) women. After the Tory Lanez incident men have been having a hate train on her. 

But I wouldn't call it tanking for Megan. Debuting in the top 20 plus having longetivity (Thot Shit, Body) is great for a female rapper. They're not that far apart, except for Doja's pop/dance songs charting higher (KMM, Say So, Woman). Doja hasn't had a solo top 5 ever since Say So and that was driven by TikTok.

Anyway TL;DR Doja is a safer more mainstream artist catered to radio, while Megan does more heavy rap songs that are catered for a more hip hop audience. 

Stream Plan B 

7 minutes ago, Atlantis Princess said:

Megan makes straight hip hop music, heavily rap oriented, has a more aggressive style. She isn't easily digestible by a mainstream audience. Even on a pop song like Sweetest Pie she doesn't fit in as much as she tries. It's not a style that fits her voice. 

Doja makes pop music with some rap verses thrown in there. She reaches a mainstream audiences because she can also sing and has a "sweeter voice" that allows her to tap into dance songs, not only hip hop. She also does choreography and has high budget music videos so besides the straight GP she also has the gays on her side. 

Megan seems to have only the support of (black) women. After the Tory Lanez incident men have been having a hate train on her. 

But I wouldn't call it tanking for Megan. Debuting in the top 20 plus having longetivity (Thot Shit, Body) is great for a female rapper. They're not that far apart, except for Doja's pop/dance songs charting higher (KMM, Say So, Woman). Doja hasn't had a solo top 5 ever since Say So and that was driven by TikTok.

Anyway TL;DR Doja is a safer more mainstream artist catered to radio, while Megan does more heavy rap songs that are catered for a more hip hop audience. 

Stream Plan B 

Took the words out my mouth. A heavy hip hop oriented song like Plan B (stream that masterpiece) is not going to skyrocket top 20. Doja's more palatable to the mainstream and the Baby Marios of the world so she'll have more chart success than Megan. I've always seen Doja's just a pop artist that occasionally cosplays as a rapper. Megan is far more lyrically talented as a rapper than Doja. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't know anything about rap music. (I sound like a damn boomer here lol3)

24 minutes ago, Mario Spears said:

Megan is the Queen of Rap, makes better music, is more talented and she's better! bey6

Fixed it jj2

17 minutes ago, Lynk said:

Doja's more palatable to the mainstream and the Baby Marios of the world so she'll have more chart success than Megan. I've always seen Doja's just a pop artist that occasionally cosplays as a rapper. Megan is far more lyrically talented as a rapper than Doja. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't know anything about rap music. (I sound like a damn boomer here lol3)

31 minutes ago, Atlantis Princess said:

I'm crying none of these are true eve1

Y'all stay trying to discredit Doja's rapping skills ughny12

1 minute ago, Mario Spears said:

Y'all stay discrediting Doja's rapping skills ughny12

Literally nobody is, but they come up with better reasons, instead of the “YASSSSSS DOJA QUEEN CHYLE” bullshit you always show off

Just now, Mario Spears said:

Y'all stay discrediting Doja's rapping skills ughny12

Her fans always pull up this ONE video which is not even that great. I have to laugh. Do y'all have any other example of something. I have several of Megan's considering she started her career with freestyles and not cosplaying as a meme. 

17 minutes ago, Lynk said:

Took the words out my mouth. A heavy hip hop oriented song like Plan B (stream that masterpiece) is not going to skyrocket top 20. Doja's more palatable to the mainstream and the Baby Marios of the world so she'll have more chart success than Megan. I've always seen Doja's just a pop artist that occasionally cosplays as a rapper. Megan is far more lyrically talented as a rapper than Doja. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't know anything about rap music. (I sound like a damn boomer here lol3)

I feel like Doja is filling in the gap for Nicki as a mainstream pop rapper but without the same lyrical talent. She has a good sense of visuals and can dance pretty well, that I will say. 

Just now, Atlantis Princess said:

I have several of Megan's considering she started her career with freestyles and not cosplaying as a meme. 

Megan can rap though, i'll say this

1 minute ago, Atlantis Princess said:

She has a good sense of visuals and can dance pretty well, that I will say. 

yeah and Doja as a performer>>>>>>>>most of the new pop girls today

1 hour ago, Mario Spears said:

Megan can rap though, i'll say this

yeah and Doja as a performer>>>>>>>>most of the new pop girls today

You can't discredit the new pop girls. Doja is a talented performer too, but I have to admit that some of them are really talented performers too, like Olivia and Billie

There are many reasons why Doja Cat is more popular than Megan at least outside the US. First of all, Doja Cat is a more of blended artist than Megan. As someone pointed out before, Megan Thee Stallion is a straight out hip-hop artist, whereareas Doja is chasing trends moo1 Morevover, Doja's voice is what makes her more likeable. She's more feminine than other female rappers. Anyway I hope my answer made sense moo1 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Megan makes straight hip hop music, heavily rap oriented, has a more aggressive style. She isn't easily digestible by a mainstream audience. Even on a pop song like Sweetest Pie she doesn't fit in as

because Doja is the Queen of Rap, makes better music, is more talented and she's better! YASSSSS DOJA!!!

I'm crying none of these are true 

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.