Snow

Does Adele's music actually have any impact?

adele-episode-1789-pictured-host-adele-d

There is no denying that Adele is talented and is a monster seller, but what IS her music's impact?

Forget about the sales for a second. How has Adele shaped the popular musical landscape? What has she changed or influenced since her rise to superstardom? What is the impact of Adele's music?

I don't really think she's that impactful in terms of shaping the music landscape, nothing she has ever released is that edgy or unique nor does it try to be, it's very much safe ballad music. I do think a lot of Adele's success comes from people just liking her personality rather than because of her overall actual artistic/vocal talent. There's many songwriters out there that are far better and there's plenty of current vocalists who are better. 

9 minutes ago, Billie Frank said:

I don't really think she's that impactful in terms of shaping the music landscape, nothing she has ever released is that edgy or unique nor does it try to be, it's very much safe ballad music. I do think a lot of Adele's success comes from people just liking her personality rather than because of her overall actual artistic/vocal talent. There's many songwriters out there that are far better and there's plenty of current vocalists who are better. 

You don't have to be edgy or unique to influence music. You can do the most bland music but if the culture is leaning towards it then you will have impact. 

But otherwise I agree that she hasn't changed much in the musical landscape. No one is rushing to release ballads or are the charts infused with contemporary music  in her wake. 

She is just an anomaly, I think she is successful because she is the only popular artist doing that kind of music at the moment. If more serious vocalists would release the same music she might not have/had the same success.

50 minutes ago, Billie Frank said:

You don’t have to be edgy or unique to be impactful. Celine Dion is one of the most influential female vocalists of all time and she wasn’t unique or edgy. She essentially made the same music Adele did. She may not be as unique or influential as say a Mariah or Whitney but the influence is still there. As for Adele, only time will tell. 

In 20 years from now she will have few remembered songs but idk if she's going to be remembered as someone who defined 2010s music. Shania Twain used to sell albums like crazy in the 90s and early 2000s (more than Adele) but nowadays she isn't well known to the younger generation.

I don’t really think she made a huge impact honestly, but she managed to chart with ballads at a time when the charts consisted of pretty much only upbeat pop music, dubstep and party-music from what I remember, so that’s impressive. She also heavily influenced artists like Sam Smith. But I don’t think she changed the musical landscape in any way.

Her hits from 2011 will probably be remembered but her hits today...well...maybe.

She's your typical cookie cutter ballad musician who does not need to rely on a lot of theatrics and reinventions which in turn, ages her aesthetics and sound and that's not a bad thing but it gets very boring and gets really old quickly. A one trick pony?

On 4/28/2022 at 1:33 PM, Shego said:

In 20 years from now she will have few remembered songs but idk if she's going to be remembered as someone who defined 2010s music. Shania Twain used to sell albums like crazy in the 90s and early 2000s (more than Adele) but nowadays she isn't well known to the younger generation.

I have to disagree about Shania. She is very influential to younger country girls and even Taylor still regards her as influential. She may not be for main pop girls or up in coming pop girls but country girls she still is.  Also the fact Harry styles has recently performed with her I’m sure that’ll help with name recognition to younger non country listeners 

On 4/28/2022 at 8:18 PM, Billie Frank said:

This is coming from a Mariah Scarey fan? 

3 hours ago, Slayty Perry said:

You're saying Mariah hasn't shaped the music landscape? That she doesn't have artistic or vocal talent?

Not really, what has she done artistically groundbreaking? She's relied on sampling and been sued for it, people claim she started this pop/rap trend when that's not true and if was happening before. Vocally speaking, she dubs her live performances and has done since her prime. 

6 hours ago, MarvinGayefan123 said:

Not really, what has she done artistically groundbreaking? She's relied on sampling and been sued for it, people claim she started this pop/rap trend when that's not true and if was happening before. Vocally speaking, she dubs her live performances and has done since her prime. 

I can't believe you're saying Mariah of all people has no vocal talent...I'm sure she didn't lip sync that many live performances.

On 5/4/2022 at 11:33 AM, Slayty Perry said:

I can't believe you're saying Mariah of all people has no vocal talent...I'm sure she didn't lip sync that many live performances.

You're making it sound like that's like the world's most breaking news regarding her voice , Mariah has had criticism regarding her vocals for like 27 years

1 hour ago, MarvinGayefan123 said:

You're making it sound like that's like the world's most breaking news regarding her voice , Mariah has had criticism regarding her vocals for like 27 years

That still doesn't mean she wasn't one of the best vocalists in the world, let alone not having vocal talent

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is coming from a Mariah Scarey fan? 

Not really, what has she done artistically groundbreaking? She's relied on sampling and been sued for it, people claim she started this pop/rap trend when that's not true and if was happening before.

Is Christmas on the 25th of December?

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.