Princess Aurora

Russian court dissolves country’s main LGBTQ rights organization

.RUSSIA-GAY-RIGHTS-PROTEST

Gay rights activists march in St. Petersburg, Russia, on May 1, 2013

https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-news/russian-court-dissolves-countrys-main-lgbtq-rights-organization-rcna25874

The government claimed the St. Petersburg-based Russian LGBT Network illegally “carried out political activities” under the guise of a charity.

A Russian court has effectively shut down the country’s largest LGBTQ rights organization after a failed attempt by the government to liquidate the Russian LGBT Network and its parent organization, the Charitable Sphere Foundation, in February. 

A court in St. Petersburg issued the decision Thursday in support of Russia’s Justice Ministry. A representative of the ministry had claimed the Charitable Sphere Foundation illegally “carried out political activities using foreign property” under the guise of a charity and said its activities are aimed at changing legislation, including the Russian Constitution. In its lawsuit, the Russian government also accused the group of spreading “LGBT views” and engaging in activities that go against “traditional values.”

The foundation’s founder, Igor Kochetkov, a former director of the Russian LGBT Network, slammed the court’s decision and the government’s claim that the charity did not comply with “basic traditional family values established in the Constitution.” 

”It should be clear that the ministry and the court made this decision not on legal, but on ideological basis,” he wrote on social media, according to an automated Facebook translation. “No Russian law prohibits the activity of organizations that ‘do not correspond’ to any values. There is simply no such basis in the law for the liquidation of NGOs. In this sense, the decision of the court is iconic — mandatory state ideology has returned. It is now official.”

The St. Petersburg-based Russian LGBT Network is known for leading actions against the country’s anti-LGBTQ policies and actions, including Chechnya’s anti-gay purge, which started making international headlines in 2017, and the country’s 2013 “gay propaganda” law, which prohibits the “promotion of nontraditional sexual relations to minors.”

Coinciding with the court’s decision, advocates say they are seeing a spike in calls from LGBTQ people seeking mental health, emergency and legal services. Even in the face of the closure, Gafurova said, the organization’s main priority is helping the community.  

“We are going to seek justice in this case, we do recognize there is little room for upholding human rights in today’s Russia,” Gafurova wrote. “And that’s exactly why Russian LGBT+ people need help more than ever. … That is precisely why Sphere’s team does not consider it possible to stop doing what we do.”

There's an active war and their main problem is the LGBTQ community, disgusting. I can't imagine how much gay people struggle there.

7 hours ago, Shego said:

There's an active war and their main problem is the LGBTQ community, disgusting. I can't imagine how much gay people struggle there.

I have some gay friends from Russia and they constantly live in fear ari9 They don't show it at first glance but they are very anxious talking about it. Imagine living in a country where you have to be scared of being yourself brit1

58 minutes ago, Princess Aurora said:

I have some gay friends from Russia and they constantly live in fear ari9 They don't show it at first glance but they are very anxious talking about it. Imagine living in a country where you have to be scared of being yourself brit1

Torture killings (not to mention the Gay purge in Chechnya which has been ongoing since 2013) are a very common thing in Russia, so celebs and people who live or are from there HAVE to say shit just to save themselves from it brit1 

Here's an example of the latter

I have no idea what the image says but here's a recent post by Sergey Lazarev (representated Russia twice in Eurovision)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcVhjbLtGN6/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

8 minutes ago, Chris said:

Torture killings are a very common thing in Russia, so celebs and people who live or are from there HAVE to say shit just to save themselves from it brit1 

Here's an example of the latter

I have no idea what the image says but here's a recent post by Sergey Lazarev (representated Russia twice in Eurovision)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcVhjbLtGN6/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I'm not surprised at all. Russia is literally a giant North Korea rip4 

1 minute ago, Princess Aurora said:

I'm not surprised at all. Russia is literally a giant North Korea rip4 

Well, no not literally. Russia isn't completely blocked off from the rest of the world. We have little to no knowledge of what happens daily in NK jj3 

But yes I see exactly what you mean true1 

10 minutes ago, Chris said:

Well, no not literally. Russia isn't completely blocked off from the rest of the world. We have little to no knowledge of what happens daily in NK jj3 

But yes I see exactly what you mean true1 

I mean, not like that but it's getting close rip4