BornOnChristmas

Pop Music In The U.K.

The UK is famous for having excellent rock music and excellent pop music although I really liked some of the pop stars from the U.K. back in the 1980s. Back in the 1980s Samantha Fox was a big hit and if you ask me she was and still is amazing. Now the UK has pop stars such as Charli XCX, she's OK but she is not at the same level as Samantha Fox in my opinion. 

Yes, the 80’s music scene in the UK was incredible - but mostly groups dominated. I think Kate Bush was the only female breakthrough artist that made a mark (until Kylie debuted of course). Don’t know much about Samantha Fox but every country has had their Jessica Simpson. moo1

1 hour ago, Kylie said:

Get in @Billie Frank this is your thread girl! oprah15 

The girl's got style, legs for miles
Seen 'em walk all over you
You get your kicks like flies to shit
Buzzing round the model zoo

ayumi1

16 minutes ago, Snow said:

On behalf of the rest of the world, I'd like to thank you for giving us Florence Welch oprah10 (not exactly mainstream pop but still)

Florence is fairly mainstream, at least her early stuff is. 

1 hour ago, ajp said:

Yes, the 80’s music scene in the UK was incredible - but mostly groups dominated. I think Kate Bush was the only female breakthrough artist that made a mark (until Kylie debuted of course). Don’t know much about Samantha Fox but every country has had their Jessica Simpson. moo1

The Stock Aitken Waterman era had a lot of solo stars that were huge but faded very quickly and are mostly forgotten now, it probably didn't help that their songs were very formulaic, generic and sounded much the same. Kylie was one of the very few lucky ones but it probably helped that she was already a known name.

1 minute ago, Billie Frank said:

Florence is fairly mainstream, at least her early stuff is. 

She's mainstream in the sense that she's popular, but I wasn't sure what the OP meant by "pop music" so by "mainstream pop" I was saying that she didn't have the sounds of artists like Charli, Dua, Rita, etc brit16

19 minutes ago, Snow said:

She's mainstream in the sense that she's popular, but I wasn't sure what the OP meant by "pop music" so by "mainstream pop" I was saying that she didn't have the sounds of artists like Charli, Dua, Rita, etc brit16

Songs like Dog Days Are Over are very much "pop music" of their time, at least in the UK. Florence isn't one but the mid-late 00s was kind of a weird time where you had lots of manufactured unoriginal artists in the UK trying to pass indie/alternative when they weren't. It wasn't much of a secret either.. Girls Aloud called it out in their song "Hoxton Heroes" ayumi1

2 minutes ago, Billie Frank said:

Songs like Dog Days Are Over are very much "pop music" of their time, at least in the UK. Florence isn't one but the mid-late 00s was kind of a weird time where you had lots of manufactured unoriginal artists in the UK trying to pass indie/alternative when they weren't. It wasn't much of a secret either.. Girls Aloud called it out in their song "Hoxton Heroes" ayumi1

Excuse me don't drag miss Ellie like this gaga1

30 minutes ago, Billie Frank said:

The Stock Aitken Waterman era had a lot of solo stars that were huge but faded very quickly and are mostly forgotten now, it probably didn't help that their songs were very formulaic, generic and sounded much the same. Kylie was one of the very few lucky ones but it probably helped that she was already a known name.

Yes, I read an interview that Pete Waterman gave and he said Kylie was the only artist on their roster that made money. Jason Donovan broke even and Sonia lost them money. They did better when they wrote and produced acts that wanted to work with them like Bananarama because the artists’ label took the risk. “The Hit Factory” was iconic in the 80’s - but it faded fast. 

Just now, Snow said:

Excuse me don't drag miss Ellie like this gaga1

Oh no Miss Moulding was never indie though. 

Just now, Kristina said:

I’ve always had a soft spot for UK pop girls. There’s a lot of great music that has come out of the UK and they deserve more recognition worldwide alex1 

Indeed lots of great music, then there was Gentlemen by The Saturdays. ajay1

2 minutes ago, ajp said:

Yes, I read an interview that Pete Waterman gave and he said Kylie was the only artist on their roster that made money. Jason Donovan broke even and Sonia lost them money. They did better when they wrote and produced acts that wanted to work with them like Bananarama because the artists’ label took the risk. “The Hit Factory” was iconic in the 80’s - but it faded fast. 

I'm not surprised by that. When you look at their acts many of them did have big hits but then declined quite quickly. You can appreciate their music for what it is but it aged quite quickly. I highly doubt any Kylie stan's top 10 Kylie songs will include a SAW produced song. 

6 minutes ago, Billie Frank said:

It’s not their best single, but it is a bop true1 

8 minutes ago, Billie Frank said:

May be an unpopular opinion but I actually liked this at the time of release true1 I liked it better than What About Us personally.

7 minutes ago, Billie Frank said:

I'm not surprised by that. When you look at their acts many of them did have big hits but then declined quite quickly. You can appreciate their music for what it is but it aged quite quickly. I highly doubt any Kylie stan's top 10 Kylie songs will include a SAW produced song. 

They made simple songs but Kylie has proven that they can be re-arranged and they still have impact. “Hand On Your Heart” and “Never Too Late” on her Abbey Road Sessions were better than the originals. “Better The Devil You Know” is probably the best song SAW they have ever written/produced. It could have been sung by anyone on their roster and been a hit. Kylie was just lucky to secure it. It will always be a fav of mine. kylie6