Snow

Round Three: The "Disco Night" trinity

lj1mxmF.png

funky • groovy • hypnotic

▽  

Round 3 Entries

Hello everyone, here are your entries!
Please do not quote this post is its entirety as it is full of links and may slow down everyone's device.
To ensure fair scoring, all entries are posted anonymously to both the judges & players. You may react & comment on the trinities, but please do not reveal which one is yours!

FULL VERSION

Spoiler

ALFA

Spoiler

The Disco Night Trinity

BRAVO

Spoiler

WEEK THREE - DISCO NIGHT

Disco as a genre is pretty heavily skewed toward males in just sheer volume of output. But I am of the mind that it's the females who've contributed the most exciting and enduring classics of the genre. In my trinity this week, I've chosen to highlight female led disco (yes, ABBA has two male members but the iconic women on th emic are and always have been at the forefront of the music) as my theme. Of the three songs, there are three different varieties of disco on display, tied together by the thread of women carrying one of the most male led genres in history. 

'Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!' is an example of disco pop,  'Hot Stuff' is disco fusion which is a blending of the popular sounds of disco with another genre, in this case pop-rock, and Gloria' is an example of Italo disco which is Italy's interpretation of disco. 

CHARLIE

Spoiler

Dan Hartman - Instant Replay

Top #30 U.S. Hit And Top #10 U.K. Hit From The Year 1978,
By Underrated American Singer-Songwriter "Dan Hartman",
Taken From The Album Of The Same Name.

The Weeknd - Take My Breath

2021's Worldwide Smash By None Other Than "The Weeknd", 
Taken From His Latest Album "Dawn FM".

Chaka Khan - I'm Every Woman

We Go Back To The Year 1978 Again With This Sleeper Hit,
Soon To Be Covered By The Late, Great Whitney Houston;
The Debut Single Taken From "Chaka Khan"'s Self-Titled Debut Album.

I believe these 3 songs all go together for these reasons:

1. Insane Intros:

"Instant Replay" is THEE song to begin a Disco Party!
The countdown and the build up to the first verse is everything you need to get into the Disco spirit!
Plus the piano playing from Hartman is guaranteed to put you in a feel good mood.

"Take My Breath" has a great build up too, from the drums to the synths to the guitar riffs.
The tempo remains the same as well as the vibe,
despite the 40+ year gap in releases.

"I'm Every Woman" has a great use of strings and vocal harmonies from Chaka Khan,
following on from "Take My Breath" 's synths.
The tempo is a bit slower to help bring the trio to a close.

2. Disco Through The Two Decades:

"Instant Replay" and "I'm Every Woman" are from the same decade and year,
in which the Disco genre was at an all-time high.

"Take My Breath" transports us to the 2020's mid-way through this trio,
as a way of reassuring us that the Disco genre is far from extinct.
It's modern take on Disco may be a risk for this trio,
but the modern production I feel does bring a smooth transition from "Instant Replay",
and to "I'm Every Woman"

3. Positive Vibes Only

Disco, at least in my opinion, is mainly a very positive, happy, up-tempo, friendly type of genre.

All 3 songs here provide that.

"Instant Replay" can represent a happy relationship with someone as well as music.
You have the love of both the person and the music.

"Take My Breath" actually has quite dark lyrics about love and lust,
but the production almost distracts you from that.

"I'm Every Woman" is the ultimate power anthem, celebrating all women. 

DELTA

Spoiler

Decided to switch it up and throwback to the disco of old. Time to get movin’ and a groovin’ to these throwbacks by sassy women of colour that will have you shaking’ your groove thang on the light up floor under the disco ball all night. 

ECHO

Spoiler

Since disco is a genre where often dancing is a stand in for sensuality and sex, my trinity has a little storyline that goes along those lines. A guy who wants to pick up this girl from the discotheque but she is reluctant. 

Opening up with the hypnotic Get On The Floor, the narrator invites the girl to dance with him. At first this proposition seems innocent enough as he says: "So get on the floor/And dance with me/I love the way you shake your thing/Especially.." 

However by the next song Dance Wit' Me, the proposition to dance becomes more bold, bordering on the obscene as the narrator makes his intentions clear: "Dance with me/
Shake your body all over me, woman, dance/Pretty little thing/I wish that you were mine, yeah".
The language gets more daring as the music swells and gets more suggestive as well. 

In the last song we have the female perspective, who shows her reluctance to engage with this guy. Even though she knows what he wants after a round of dancing, she only gives in to him by setting up some conditions: "Love me all through the night/Hug me 'till the first rays of sunlight/Be sweet, make me unafraid/'Cause tonight I'll play with you/Please be gentle". 

And this is how our Disco Night at the discotheque ends.

FOXTROT

Spoiler

Nu-disco: 21st-century dance music genre associated with a renewed interest in the late 1970s US disco, synthesizer-heavy 1980s European dance music styles, and early 1990s electronic dance music. "I Dream In Disco" encapsulates all three, while also telling the story of being at a disco club, coming home, and falling asleep.

The first song, "01902" is a perfect disco banger. Representing 1980s European dance music, the synth heavy song is perfect for a sensual dance floor.

"Now would you like to live deliciously?
I’ll put my hands on you, put your hands on me."

Spoiler

The second song is "Chemicals", representing 1990s electronic music. The song is very fitting for leaving the club after a long night of dancing and too much drinking, and is a nice sort of slowdown in the middle of the trio.

"But if you stay,
We could always blame it on the chemicals.
I might be seein' double but I need you both."

Spoiler

(Flashing lights warning on the video btw)

The final song, "Golden", is an homage to 1970s classic disco. The song is very dreamy and represents falling into a disco dream after a long night of clubbing.

"When we move across the floor,
We are golden for sure."

Spoiler

GOLF

Spoiler

Round 3: The "Disco Night" Trinity

Madonna - "Hung Up"

Agnes - "24 Hours"

Alice Chater - "Hourglass"

HOTEL

Spoiler

My idea for this round was Vampire Disco 

I think my picks have a decent cohesion, both socially and thematically, with one of them having the disco x funk combination you asked us to find. The way track 1 connects with track 2, and track 2 connects with track 3 sounded very pleasing and funny to me, and i hope the critics will agree with me! 

Funky • irresistible • hypnotic, i think i got it all right! kylie3

INDIA

Spoiler

You meet this person at a club and connect with them instantly, one half of you thinks this could be it but the other half is still apprehensive and in doubt, you ask yourself... "If this ain't love, why does it feel so good". 

Having decided to progress forward with this person your realise that they could be the one, it truly was Love At First Sight. 

Ultimately you now understand it was part of the plan and you were meant to be together, it truly was fate. 

JULIETT

Spoiler

KILO

Spoiler

A play on the 21st century disco subgenre, Nu Disco, this trinity will showcase disco/disco influenced songs released in the new millennia.

Songs

Spoiler

LIMA

Spoiler

Disco Night (funky, irresistible, hypnotic)

using songs from the 70s and 80s to create a chronological list of fun upbeat disco songs to dance to <3 no concrete story to follow here, per se.

Gloria Gaynor - I Will Survive

this one is a bit of an obvious choice, but i really love this bop and its message aretha1 

Spoiler

Donna Summer - Journey to the Center of Your Heart

didnt wanna go for Hot Stuff cos that one, while its a bop, it'd be a too obvious choice, so i went with my personal fav from the album)

Spoiler

Freddie Mercury - Living On My Own

gay icon Freddie Mercury had a disco pop album in 1985 and not enough people know about it aretha1 

Spoiler

MIKE

Spoiler

NOVEMBER

Spoiler

Mother & Daughters.

SONGS ONLY, TEXT VERSION

Spoiler

ALFA
Victoria Monet - "Experience" (with Khalid & SG Lewis)
Doja Cat - "Say So"
Lizzo - "About Damn Time"

BRAVO
ABBA - "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)"
Donna Summer - "Hot Stuff"
Laura Branigan - "Gloria"

CHARLIE
Dan Hartman - "Instant Replay"
The Weeknd - "Take My Breath"
Chaka Khan - "I'm Every Woman"

DELTA
The Pointer Sisters - "I'm So Excited"
Donna Summer - "I Feel Love"
Gloria Gaynor - "I Will Survive"

ECHO
Michael Jackson - "Get on the Floor"
Rick James - "Dance Wit' Me"
Diana Ross - "Tenderness"

FOXTROT
Tom Aspaul - "01902"
SG Lewis - "Chemicals"
Zella Day - "Golden"

GOLF
Madonna - "Hung Up"
Agnes - "24 Hours"
Alice Chater - "Hourglass"

HOTEL
Michael Jackson - "Thriller"
Hot Blood - "Soul Dracula"
The Immortals - "The Ultimate Warlord"

INDIA
Spiller - "Groovejet (If This Ain't Love)"
Kylie Minogue - "Love At First Sight"
Chaka Khan - "Fate"

JULIETT
BAD - "Sweat"
Michael Medrano - "Do Your Thing!"
Kelechi - "Forever Tonight"

KILO
Madonna - "Hung Up"
Ariana Grande - "Greedy"
Calvin Harris - "Feels"

LIMA
Gloria Gaynor - "I Will Survive"
Donna Summer - "Journey to the Center of Your Heart"
Freddie Mercury - "Living On My Own"

MIKE
Lizzo - "About Damn Time"
Jack Savoretti - "Who's Hurting Who" (feat. Nile Rodgers)"
Purple Disco Machine - "Dopamine"

NOVEMBER
Madonna - "Hung Up (Radio Version)"
Dua Lipa - "Hallucinate"
Lady Gaga - "Disco Heaven"

▽  

dnqsgxa.png

Participation is optional.
Every time you vote you will earn an entry to a raffle for a free 1-Month VIP, which will be raffled at the end of the game!

Voting Rules
• You are NOT allowed to vote for your own trinity. 
• Make sure to post in the thread with "Voted!" so I can verify your votes.
• All participants (both active and eliminated) are able to vote in the poll. Judges will not participate.

You may vote for your favorite trinities down below:
VOTE HERE

The winner of the poll will be named the round's Fan Favorite Trinity on Saturday.

▽  

NXeW5Cf.png

All results will be revealed on Saturday, May 14 at 8 PM CEST.
Try to be there as there will be Top Answer Game-style "bonus questions", which may reward you with bonus points, boost or perks!

TIME UNTIL RESULTS SHOW

11 hours ago, Urbi said:

All entries are SO GOOD true1 excited for this round 

Definitely my favorite round so far! A lot of these entries are EXCELLENT giveup4

These were all really interesting! Actually discovered some new songs as well. I would NEVER and have never thought of Thriller as disco, but omg it is dead1

14 minutes ago, Kristina said:

These were all really interesting! Actually discovered some new songs as well. I would NEVER and have never thought of Thriller as disco, but omg it is dead1

Well, Thriller is disco but by the 1980s disco had to rebrand as "dance music" for the artists to escape the stigma around it. Then it evolved into house music.