ilya eilish

Will Gaga Ever Be As Successful As She Was Pre-2013 Again?

Well, will she be ever be successful pre-ARTPOP again?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No?

21 minutes ago, Lynk said:

Oh let me be more specific, a song that didn't freefall from the top 20 after 2 weeks. Me was dead on arrival and the worst way she could've kicked off Lover. willow, cardigan and All Too Well debuted at #1 because of hype. All three of these songs left the top 20 after all of two weeks. Cardigan legit only spent 14 weeks on the Hot 100. Willow only spent 20 and All Too Well spend around 15. What kinda hits are those? If she's the "music industry" as her stans proclaim then a literal lead single by her shouldn't be leaving the charts after 14 weeks.

Delicate peaked at #12 and charted for 35 weeks

3 minutes ago, Atlantis Princess said:

The video came out at the same time as the album and AWT. It was meant to be a single let's not lie.eve1

Not lying, it doesn't make sense that it's a single, she never released any singles for Fearless (TV)... I think she made an MV because all the fans said they loved that song and most would put it as their #1 Taylor song. Let's be real, the song is more than 8 years old default_eve1.gif 

1 hour ago, Lynk said:

Oh let me be more specific, a song that didn't freefall from the top 20 after 2 weeks. Me was dead on arrival and the worst way she could've kicked off Lover. willow, cardigan and All Too Well debuted at #1 because of hype. All three of these songs left the top 20 after all of two weeks. Cardigan legit only spent 14 weeks on the Hot 100. Willow only spent 20 and All Too Well spend around 15. What kinda hits are those? If she's the "music industry" as her stans proclaim then a literal lead single by her shouldn't be leaving the charts after 14 weeks.

They're more of hit than the overwhelming majority of the FOTP faves are capable of securing, and hell more of a hit than even some of the supposed MPGs are able to secure. But I will agree with you, singles are not her strongsuit. With the exception of 1989, they never have been.

That said, no one other than Adele is touching her in terms of album sales, and I consider that more impressive than collecting some hit singles. It's one thing if you can get a single song to do well, it's another to get an album selling as much as she pushes in the modern era. She is the music industry in that regard, if only because she's keeping album sales at least somewhat alive when nobody else seems to be able to. 

No I don't think so. Has anyone since that moment have been able to be as successful as her glory days though? Pop culture genuinely had a shift somewhere in the mid 10s that lead to artists not having the the usual "successful" label like we used to give to the pop queens. For example, Ariana's "thank u, next" era was so successful but could never be on par with The Fame or Teenage Dream. GP and stans shifted the pop & stan culture so much where everything is different. So no, Gaga could factually never reach that level again even though I feel like currently she is successful with GP, she has a household name, gets praise and admiration for her acting career and is universally praised for being an excellent songstress. true1

It depends on the type of success ari8 

Critical Acclaim? Awards? She's still successful in that sense post-Artpop.
Hell, she's received an Oscar and 2 Golden Globes since then.

Sales? No.
Streaming taking over
 + the music she's made, which has no doubt challenged her fan base (Joanne as an example)
 + COVID during the Chromatica era
+ the so-called "abandoning" of the Chromatica era to further her acting career

She will never have an era as big as her first 3 projects, and that's perfectly fine.

The Fame was and still is one of the best debut pop albums of all time clap1

7 hours ago, TRENCH said:

No, because she doesn't push herself. Apart from the health issues she had/has, for example,  Chromatica could've been a "success" like Future Nostalgia and After Hours was; 

It couldn't have. Future Nostalgia and After Hours also suffered from the lockdown and covid and still managed to be successful. Chromatica was a very niche album and there weren't any strong standouts on that album. Compare it to anything released pre 2013: There is not a single song on there that is on par with anything she has done previously. It felt lifeless and specifically aimed at pride gays. Gaga herself also didn't seem particularly passionate about it. The production on the songs weren't as daring as the visuals were promising. It all felt like her trying to be non-mainstream and totally backtracking last minute.

Chromatica wouldn't have been a success, no matter the circumstances.

5 hours ago, Slayty Perry said:

and it pretty much bombed everywhere else.

Taylor isn't as big of a force outside of the anglophone sphere as people would like to think she is. She is huge in the US because of the way her career was built (which was very clever). However, she isn't particularly INFLUENTIAL in the sense of cultural impact. She's essentially what Katy would have been like had she not flopped. Highly marketable to a broad audience with a plain and non-problematic image.

Gaga for example, despite being a flop, seemingly has a much greater cultural influence.

9 hours ago, Shawn's Slave said:

You act like charting anywhere in the chart is easy, see Gaga's latest attempt. default_eve1.gif

But that shouldn’t be a problem for the “queen of music” to do right? So what’s the issue? ari11

9 hours ago, Slayty Perry said:

OK I’ll give her that but post reputation, her singles haven’t been doing well. 

8 hours ago, Mr. Mendes said:

They're more of hit than the overwhelming majority of the FOTP faves are capable of securing, and hell more of a hit than even some of the supposed MPGs are able to secure. But I will agree with you, singles are not her strongsuit. With the exception of 1989, they never have been.

That said, no one other than Adele is touching her in terms of album sales, and I consider that more impressive than collecting some hit singles. It's one thing if you can get a single song to do well, it's another to get an album selling as much as she pushes in the modern era. She is the music industry in that regard, if only because she's keeping album sales at least somewhat alive when nobody else seems to be able to. 

I agree that in regards to music but she’s never really had a issue with music. Even with her debut, her songs were on the charts for long periods of time. I’ve become a bit interested in her career recently and it seems like she genuinely isn’t interested in singles anymore, at least not recently. I think when it come to her next non re-recording era, only time will tell when it comes to singles. Maybe less so than with Gaga but just the same. 

38 minutes ago, Lynk said:

But that shouldn’t be a problem for the “queen of music” to do right? So what’s the issue? ari11

Songs don't stay on the charts for long if the artist doesn't promote them after the first week. mad5 She didn't promote cardigan at all, performed it live once and called it a day. Do you know how many times Dula Peepa performed DSN and Levitating all over the world? Also the amount of remixes it took just to get levitating to #1 bey11 Taylor also didn't tour for Lover, folkore or evermore, and touring is one of the biggest if not the biggest promotional campaign for an album/singles... 2018_ari11@2x.gif I would like to see any fave being able to top the charts and stay there for weeks without doing any performances and tours whatsoever. 2018_ari11@2x.gif

31 minutes ago, Madonna said:

and it pretty much bombed everywhere else.

Taylor isn't as big of a force outside of the anglophone sphere as people would like to think she is. She is huge in the US because of the way her career was built (which was very clever). However, she isn't particularly INFLUENTIAL in the sense of cultural impact. She's essentially what Katy would have been like had she not flopped. Highly marketable to a broad audience with a plain and non-problematic image.

Gaga for example, despite being a flop, seemingly has a much greater cultural influence.

Kinda ironic that fans nickname her "the music industry" (a stupid title btw) but she doesn't have much influence culturally. Only depressed 15 year old girls are influenced by her. 

If anyone is deserving the title of music industry in this era it's Beyonce. You literally cannot escape her influence nowadays. eve1

2 hours ago, Shawn's Slave said:

Songs don't stay on the charts for long if the artist doesn't promote them after the first week. mad5 She didn't promote cardigan at all, performed it live once and called it a day. Do you know how many times Dula Peepa performed DSN and Levitating all over the world? Also the amount of remixes it took just to get levitating to #1 bey11 Taylor also didn't tour for Lover, folkore or evermore, and touring is one of the biggest if not the biggest promotional campaign for an album/singles... 2018_ari11@2x.gif I would like to see any fave being able to top the charts and stay there for weeks without doing any performances and tours whatsoever. 2018_ari11@2x.gif

Ariana did it with positions though. If fact, the only real promo the album and singles got was her announcing it a whole month before the song and album came out. Positions (the single) never left the charts as quickly as cardigan, willow or ATW. All Too Well had endless hype around it, a whole short film and an alternative version only for it to crash and burn after 15 weeks. Same with folklore. She released a whole documentary and the recording from that documentary. oprah11

And y’all call her “the music industry” gag1

If anyone deserves that title it’s Drake. He didn’t even promote Way Too Sexy or Certified Lover Boy and they stayed in the top 10 on the Hot 100 and 200 album charts for weeks. 

59 minutes ago, Atlantis Princess said:

Kinda ironic that fans nickname her "the music industry" (a stupid title btw) but she doesn't have much influence culturally. Only depressed 15 year old girls are influenced by her. 

If anyone is deserving the title of music industry in this era it's Beyonce. You literally cannot escape her influence nowadays. eve1

They call her the music industry because of her album sales, career longevity, and her impact on the music business (she made Spotify actually pay their artists), not her influence. Why would they call her the music industry for her influence

10 hours ago, Darth Sidious said:

No. 

But that’s not so much as swipe at her, it’s just a simple matter of statistics. 

There hadn’t been anyone like Lady Gaga in decades, and due to the law of diminishing returns, it was always going to be a trip downward, not up. At least in regards to her success pre-2013. Now people are relatively immune to the avant-garde style, it didn’t help that Gaga took the concept out back and beat the ever loving crap out of it, but still. People have seen it and it doesn’t have the impact, now there are a dozen Lady Gaga-esque women, and now even Gaga and Gaga anymore. 

Now this, this is a perfectly true statement. Yes, I definitely think that people have moved away from the sort of avant-garde style Gaga is known for and have become more accustomed to stripped down and authentic personas rather than larger-than-life personas like Gaga’s.

7 hours ago, Luca said:

No I don't think so. Has anyone since that moment have been able to be as successful as her glory days though? Pop culture genuinely had a shift somewhere in the mid 10s that lead to artists not having the the usual "successful" label like we used to give to the pop queens. For example, Ariana's "thank u, next" era was so successful but could never be on par with The Fame or Teenage Dream. GP and stans shifted the pop & stan culture so much where everything is different. So no, Gaga could factually never reach that level again even though I feel like currently she is successful with GP, she has a household name, gets praise and admiration for her acting career and is universally praised for being an excellent songstress. true1

Yes this is pretty much it true1

7 hours ago, Kylie said:

No but that’s okay. She has her legacy.

It is indeed true1

5 hours ago, V For Vendetta said:

It depends on the type of success ari8 

Critical Acclaim? Awards? She's still successful in that sense post-Artpop.
Hell, she's received an Oscar and 2 Golden Globes since then.

Sales? No.
Streaming taking over
 + the music she's made, which has no doubt challenged her fan base (Joanne as an example)
 + COVID during the Chromatica era
+ the so-called "abandoning" of the Chromatica era to further her acting career

She will never have an era as big as her first 3 projects, and that's perfectly fine.

The Fame was and still is one of the best debut pop albums of all time clap1

This is very true true1

1 hour ago, Slayty Perry said:

They call her the music industry because of her album sales, career longevity, and her impact on the music business (she made Spotify actually pay their artists), not her influence. 

This can be said about a lot of female artists. Plus they have influence too. What makes her so different to be worthy of such a title? 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kinda ironic that fans nickname her "the music industry" (a stupid title btw) but she doesn't have much influence culturally. Only depressed 15 year old girls are influenced by her.  If anyone is

But that shouldn’t be a problem for the “queen of music” to do right? So what’s the issue?      OK I’ll give her that but post reputation, her singles haven’t been doing well.   

It couldn't have. Future Nostalgia and After Hours also suffered from the lockdown and covid and still managed to be successful. Chromatica was a very niche album and there weren't any strong standout

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.