Shego

Kendrick Lamar drops the f slur multiple times in new song

I'm disappointed because I was rooting for him. My fan card is officially revoked kesha5

After listening to the song, I changed my mind. It felt a bit cringe but the message is totally different from the thread so I'm not against it true1 

I will assume none of ya'll read the lyrics to the entire song. The song is about his family member transitioned MTF and how his/public views have changed. Not saying "faggot" in the same way Eminem did 20 years ago. 

Not wild about him using the slur but in the context of the song it makes sense. 

27 minutes ago, Teenage Wet Dream said:

I will assume none of ya'll read the lyrics to the entire song. The song is about his family member transitioned MTF and how his/public views have changed. Not saying "faggot" in the same way Eminem did 20 years ago. 

Not wild about him using the slur but in the context of the song it makes sense. 

You have a point

58 minutes ago, Teenage Wet Dream said:

41 minutes ago, Atlantis Princess said:

He was talking about how it used to be okay to say it and now it shouldn't be so he provides an example...jj4

Still doesn't make it okay. He wouldn't want a white person doing the same shit with the n-word as well. 

29 minutes ago, Madonna said:

Still doesn't make it okay. He wouldn't want a white person doing the same shit with the n-word as well. 

This

1 hour ago, Teenage Wet Dream said:

I was planning to listen to it but I wasn't. On second thoughts, I might do that. However, It still feels cringe to say that

50 minutes ago, Madonna said:

Here are the lyrics - your answer is in the last line

"The day I chose humanity over religion
The family got closer, it was all forgiven
I said them F-bombs, I ain't know any better
Mistakenly, I ain't think that you'd know any different
See, I was taught words was nothing more than a sound
If ever they was pronounced without any intentions
The very second you challenged the shit I was kicking
Reminded me about a show I did out the city
That time I brung a fan on stage to rap
But disapproved the word that she couldn't say with me
You said, "Kendrick, ain't no room for contradiction
To truly understand love, switch position
'Faggot, faggot, faggot,' we can say it together
But only if you let a white girl say 'Nigga'""

1 hour ago, Madonna said:

1 hour ago, Kylie said:

This

Context matters. He wasn’t using it to be inflammatory. The song is about learning to put behind bigotry he had when he was younger in order to grow up as he learned to accept and love the community following his aunt’s transition. He goes on to say that he doesn’t view the word as any different than a white person saying the N word. 

Yes, it’s certainly attention getting but Kendrick has been an advocate for the community from the start of his career and we’re not going to take that away because a word is being removed from the context that it’s being used in. This isn’t Eminem saying it to push buttons and get attention, this holds actual purpose and meaning. 

It’s a powerful, strong piece and the biggest statement of advocacy from anyone in the hip hop game ever. 

EDIT: That being said, the handling of the discussion of his aunt’s transition yes that is problematic what with the dead naming and things of that ilk. That is worthy of criticism despite the intentions. It’s clear he has a great deal to learn on that front and I won’t go up to bat for him on that. The trans community has every right and lots of room to be upset with that.

But the regular twitter gays upset over the use of the word faggot when they have excused Azalea and Doja for years and all the other girls who’ve said it or similar with absolutely no intention or purpose? No sympathy for them. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I will assume none of ya'll read the lyrics to the entire song. The song is about his family member transitioned MTF and how his/public views have changed. Not saying "faggot" in the same way Eminem d

Context matters. He wasn’t using it to be inflammatory. The song is about learning to put behind bigotry he had when he was younger in order to grow up as he learned to accept and love the community f

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.