Snow

Madonna defends her NFT collection

cw-madonna2022-05-11-at-43951-PM-3jpg-JS

Madonna has defended her decision to release an NFT collection that features a 3D model of her vagina.

Earlier this week, the pop star announced that she was preparing to release a charity collection of 3D non-fungible tokens which includes a video of her avatar giving birth to insects, butterflies and trees.

The pop star’s Mother Of Creation collection is described in press material as a “labour of love” made over the course of a year with digital artist Beeple (Mike Winkelmann) who sold an NFT last year for $69million (£55million).

A number of fans have since taken to social media to criticise the NFT and voice their confusion over its premise. One Twitter user wrote: “Why did Madonna have to go and do that to the market,” while another said: “I did not have a tree growing out of Madonna’s vagina NFT on my 2022 bingo card but here we are.”

Acknowledging the criticism and those who might have been “weirded out” by it, Madonna told Winkelmann that it’s “not often that a robot centipede crawls out of my vagina”.

“I’m doing what women have been doing since the beginning of time, which is giving birth. But on a more existential level, I’m giving birth to art and creativity and we would be lost without both.”

She added: “I think it’s really important that a lot of thought and conversation went into creating these videos.”

x

9 hours ago, Equals = said:

She should've NEVER done NFTs

8 hours ago, LittleDudeNT5 said:

That's not the point, girl. The content isn't the issue, it's the "medium". 

What is the problem with it? 

I found out that it has a bad ecological footprint but here's what Beetle said about that:

Spoiler

Digital artist Mike Winkelmann, who goes by the name Beeple, is a believer in a more sustainable future for NFTs. His work “Everydays: The First 5000 Days” was the one that got the eye-popping $69 million bid at Christie’s. Moving forward, he says his artwork will be carbon “neutral” or “negative,” meaning he’ll be able to completely offset emissions from his NFTs by investing in renewable energy, conservation projects, or technology that sucks CO2 out of the atmosphere. “I think you’re gonna see a lot of other artists do the same,” Beeple tells The Verge. But for now, there are still greenhouse gas emissions associated with his NFTs. It costs about $5,000 to offset the emissions from one of his collections, he says.

So...I really don't see the issue...?

On 5/16/2022 at 4:59 AM, Madonna said:

What is the problem with it? 

I found out that it has a bad ecological footprint but here's what Beetle said about that:

Hide contents

Digital artist Mike Winkelmann, who goes by the name Beeple, is a believer in a more sustainable future for NFTs. His work “Everydays: The First 5000 Days” was the one that got the eye-popping $69 million bid at Christie’s. Moving forward, he says his artwork will be carbon “neutral” or “negative,” meaning he’ll be able to completely offset emissions from his NFTs by investing in renewable energy, conservation projects, or technology that sucks CO2 out of the atmosphere. “I think you’re gonna see a lot of other artists do the same,” Beeple tells The Verge. But for now, there are still greenhouse gas emissions associated with his NFTs. It costs about $5,000 to offset the emissions from one of his collections, he says.

So...I really don't see the issue...?

There's plenty of reasons to not support the NFT system or give it more credibility. Just google "why artists don't like nfts" and you'll get a slew of articles and threads with reasons why there are issues. I follow hundreds of independent artists on twitter (including being one myself) and the consensus is pretty much the same.

The biggest type of NFT/crypto bro is looking to turn a huge profit out of nothing and in mass quantity. It doesn't offer anything of value when it comes to the actual artist – if they're even willingly taking part in it. It also isn't a very stable venture for just about anyone involved. NFTs are a convoluted and annoying subject so I really would just recommend doing some more external research (beyond the ecological issues, which is another topic and idk if it is boils down so simply to what your quote says). Nothing will go wrong with the Madonna situation, as far as I can tell, it's more about just buying into and advocating for this sham of a mess.

If you come out of the research still being fine with it then shrug1 whatever, that's fine. My point originally is mostly just that M did not understand the point of the criticism. If she has something positive/noteworthy to say in advocating for NFTs, then I'd be down to hear it.