Snow

One million debuts are now impossible. What's the new standard?

Adele_-_25_%28Official_Album_Cover%29.pnBritney_Spears_-_Oops%21..._I_Did_It_Aga81s+i2hv-eL._SL1500_.jpg717DWgRftmL._SL1400_.jpg81Ii6u2neLL._SL1400_.jpg

Selling over 1 million copies used to be thee chart achievement many were gunning for.
But we are now in the streaming era, and music sales climate has shifted. Such numbers don't seem like it's possible for anyone anymore. 

Taylor can't do it.
Drake can't do it.
Adele can't do it.

The last album album to hit the mark was Reputation in 2017.
Since then, a few have come close and failed. It's safe to say that 1 million debuts for albums are dead.

So, what do you think is the new equivalent for "1 million" debuts in today's sales climate?
500k? 600k? 750k? or has it stayed at 1 million?

lru01jf2xme51.jpg?auto=webp&s=e127c5a796c23736651121c94e757023376fcd7c71-llhQmneL._SL1500_.jpgvgufxc-certifiedl-preview-m3.jpg71zXQIRcbbL._SL1400_.jpgunnamed (3).jpg

BIGGEST DEBUTS THIS DECADE

folklore (2020) – 846k

30 (2021) – 839k

Certified Lover Boy (2021) – 613k

RED (Taylor's Version) (2021) – 605K

Harry's House (2022) – 521k

I love how the last album to do 1 million was Taylor's "flop" album. tay1

Also, the fact that the biggest debuts this decade was by artists who've been in the industry for 10-15+ years dead2

I still think it's possible (maybe not anymore for Taylor and Adele since they're getting older and fans decrease over time) true1 Just need a new very talented artist with a lot of hype and one huge first single. 

1 Million first week sale is not the norm, and Britney was the first to do so true1 I don't really think it's about sales climate, but more about how hyped the artist is. Taylor also lost a portion of fans due to becoming more political which is not a bad thing but she would have sold more if she didn't tweet anything political against republicans brit9

25 minutes ago, Shawn's Slave said:

1 Million first week sale is not the norm, and Britney was the first to do so true1

Released Nov. 1992, Whitney Houston‘s “The Bodyguard,” the soundtrack from the movie of the same name, was the first album to sell over one million copies — 1,061,000, to be exact — in one week (since Nielsen Soundscan introduced a computerized sales monitoring system in 1991).

true1

Everything else you said is pretty true though.

3 minutes ago, Lynk said:

true1

Everything else you said is pretty true though.

The Bodyguard is not entirely Whitney's album though, there are other artists on the soundtrack true1 I guess if we're talking any album, soundtrack, compilation, then The Bodyguard would fit. But I was referring to a solo album jj2

1 minute ago, Shawn's Slave said:

The Bodyguard is not entirely Whitney's album though, there are other artists on the soundtrack true1 I guess if we're talking any album, soundtrack, compilation, then The Bodyguard would fit. But I was referring to a solo album jj2

Listen I got that quote off Billboard so argue with them, not me. jj1 Everyone else cites it as a Whitney album as its sales are added to her overall album sales so I don't know what to tell you. Britney still wouldn't have been the first though. Garth Brooks Backstreet Boys and NSYNC did it before her too jj2

1 minute ago, Lynk said:

Listen I got that quote off Billboard so argue with them, not me. jj1 Everyone else cites it as a Whitney album as its sales are added to her overall album sales so I don't know what to tell you. Britney still wouldn't have been the first though. Garth Brooks Backstreet Boys and NSYNC did it before her too jj2

Ok, Britney is the first SOLO FEMALE, are you happy now? jj2

2 hours ago, Snow said:

lru01jf2xme51.jpg?auto=webp&s=e127c5a796c23736651121c94e757023376fcd7c71-llhQmneL._SL1500_.jpgvgufxc-certifiedl-preview-m3.jpg71zXQIRcbbL._SL1400_.jpgunnamed (3).jpg

BIGGEST DEBUTS THIS DECADE

folklore (2020) – 846k

30 (2021) – 839k

Certified Lover Boy (2021) – 613k

RED (Taylor's Version) (2021) – 605K

Harry's House (2022) – 521k

why did I cringe when I saw this list omg?? katy7

1 hour ago, Slayty Perry said:

Maybe if Taylor does a pop album with a good amount of features

yo this would be such a better version of what Lover tried to be 

56 minutes ago, TRENCH said:

why did I cringe when I saw this list omg?? katy7

yo this would be such a better version of what Lover tried to be 

the problem with lover was that its too long and full of filler katy7 

I mean 1 million debuts have never been the standard. That's why there's so few artists in history to ever do it. It's very hard to pull off 1 mil in the first week unless you're a very hyped/popular artist at the right time. 

Some of the biggest legends never had 1 mil debuts, the standard for first week has always  been about 300-600k and then hoping for longetivity. 

I don’t see anyone doing above 800k tbh. I don’t even see anyone doing that much if I’m being honest, maybe Taylor or Adele but no one else. 500-600k will be really impressive.