Snow

Gaga in talks to star as Harley Quinn in new Joker movie

Joaquin Phoenix, Todd Phillips, Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga is in early talks to star opposite Joaquin Phoenix in director Todd Phillips’ sequel to Joker, the 2019 Oscar-winning, $1 billion Warner Bros. hit based on the DC character.

Phillips has been co-writing the script with Joker co-writer Scott Silver for some time and has finally shown it to the studio. Last week, Phillips revealed on social media the title of the new project — Joker: Folie à deux — the title referencing a medical term for an identical or similar mental disorder that affects two or more individuals, usually members of the same family.

Enter Gaga. Details on her character are being kept under wraps, but Joker is known for his on-off abusive relationship with Harley Quinn, his psychiatrist at the mental institution known as Arkham Asylum who falls in love with him and becomes his sidekick and partner in crime. It is unclear whether Phillips and company are using other DC characters or striking on their own, as they did in many instances with their first movie.

If a deal makes, Gaga would play Quinn. However, this new Quinn exists in a different DC universe than the Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn, which most recently appeared in 2021’s The Suicide Squad as well as several other films.

But wait, that’s not all: Sources say the sequel is also a musical.

Phillips previously produced A Star Is Born, the 2018 remake that starred Joker producer Bradley Cooper and Gaga.

x

1 minute ago, Slayty Perry said:

But Harley Quinn is a young girl

I mean, the character is younger than Gaga is but probably not even as young as Margot Robbie was when she started playing her. She's a full fledged psychiatrist so that puts her at late 20s/early 30s at the youngest unless she's a prodigy who graduated early but I don't think that's ever been the idea. But I think if you stand her next to Phoenix, who is also older than the Joker is generally depicted as, that aspect of it would be fine.